Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2018, 10:24 AM   #21
mazboy

we assume you are referring to your trailer tires. do the max rated on the tire....cold.
E is 80psi, G is 110psi.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:36 PM   #22
travelin texans

Provided they don't blow out running too low a pressure, rv tires WILL age out loooong before they wear out, unless you're fulltiming & on the move a lot of miles. So in my opinion run them at max cold psi & not worry about wearing them out.
We are fulltime & did wear out a set of GY 614s in approximately 60k miles in 4.5 years running at max psi, tires wore even & true across the tread. Replaced with 17.5" Sailun H rated with new wheels for about the same money as just replacing the GY 614s.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:17 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Provided they don't blow out running too low a pressure, rv tires WILL age out loooong before they wear out, unless you're fulltiming & on the move a lot of miles. So in my opinion run them at max cold psi & not worry about wearing them out.
We are fulltime & did wear out a set of GY 614s in approximately 60k miles in 4.5 years running at max psi, tires wore even & true across the tread. Replaced with 17.5" Sailun H rated with new wheels for about the same money as just replacing the GY 614s.

^^^^^x2. For most aging will be the culprit.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:11 PM   #24
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlewis View Post
Cold tire pressure is supposed to be at 70 degrees F. (Cold inflation pressure is the inflation pressure of tires before the car is driven and the tires warmed up). Of course, it's seldom we can check tire pressure at 70. However, adjusting for an ambient temperature that is a few degrees higher or lower doesn't change the tire pressure much (about 1 psi difference in 6 degrees). So, weigh the axles, determine the load weight per tire. Go to the tire manufacturer's website. There is a chart for your model tire that tells you what the tire pressure should be for that load weight. That is the tire pressure you should use. The correct inflation pressure is listed on the vehicle certification label, in the vehicle owner's manual and on the tire placard. The tire industry says to never use inflation pressures below the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations for OE tires). Use the maximum tire pressure listed on the tire ONLY IF the load weight you measured is the same as maximum load weight. Otherwise, your tires will wear in the center faster than on the edges, and you will have to replace them sooner.
My inserts in orange are based on valid tire industry standards. Optional tire inflation pressures are anything between vehicle manufacturer's recommendations to the tire manufacturers sidewall pressures for maximum tire loads.

Inflating RV trailer tires to the load carried is not a standard procedure. It leaves no room for even the smallest error. In an industry that often provides OE tires with very little, if any, load capacity reserves, RV trailer tires need every bit of extra load capacity available. A loss of a single PSI of inflation pressure equates to a ballpark 1.7% loss of load capacity.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:02 PM   #25
ChuckS

This is why I run maximum cold psi stamped on tire regardless of what my fifth wheel weighs on a given day. It’s simpler not practicable to weigh every time we go some place.

I only average around 5000 miles a year on the fifth wheel. My heaviest load would be when I am boon docking and carrying a load of water.

Regardless I keep 110 psi in those tires.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:50 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Load Range F (12 ply rating) tires are rated at maximum capacity at 95 PSI.
Load Range G (14 ply rating) tires are rated at maximum capacity at 110 PSI.

You indicate your tires are 12 ply tires, so the 110 PSI should not enter the picture.

What brand, size tires did you buy? Given that information, every manufacturer has a specifications chart for their ST tire lines which gives the maximum pressure/load information.

You can find the Carlisle Radial Trail HD information at this link: https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...adial-trail-hd

Carlisle's 12 ply tire only comes in one size and is the last entry at the bottom of the chart. If you have a competitor's tires, they "should" follow very closely with the pressure/load ratings, but may differ, so check your specific brand to confirm.
Find it interesting that the table lists the max load at 10 m.p.h. and the max speed ratingings at up to 81 m.p.h. depending on tire. I would love to see a graph with load rating vs speed rating to see where the load rating is at highway speeds.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:55 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Find it interesting that the table lists the max load at 10 m.p.h. and the max speed ratingings at up to 81 m.p.h. depending on tire. I would love to see a graph with load rating vs speed rating to see where the load rating is at highway speeds.
Yeah, I saw that too, scratched my head, wondered if it was a misprint or some strange way of measuring/testing max load ratings, turned the page and completely forgot about it. Something to be said for "old age short term memory retention"....

While I can't explain it, it doesn't reach high enough on my "gotta know index" to do the research. Maybe this winter while we're snowed in, I'll open that webpage again and it'll then be "long term memory" ??? If you happen to ask Carlisle what it's all about, please share...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:03 AM   #28
Local150

What do you guys think of nitrogen in the tires ?
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:04 AM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local150 View Post
ALL tires are "naturally equipped" with 78% nitrogen. Adding the other 22% is optional at extra cost. Is it worth it? depends on which side of the fence you sit on or which side of the bed you got out of this morning....

In other words, at least to me, not worth the hassles or expense for the minimal benefits achieved. Now if we towed at 200+ MPH, or at 40K ft altitudes.....or in sub zero temperatures and in highly explosive atmospheres..... Otherwise, Nah, not worth it. YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-18-2018, 02:30 PM   #30
travelin texans

Quote:
ALL tires are "naturally equipped" with 78% nitrogen. Adding the other 22% is optional at extra cost. Is it worth it? depends on which side of the fence you sit on or which side of the bed you got out of this morning....

In other words, at least to me, not worth the hassles or expense for the minimal benefits achieved. Now if we towed at 200+ MPH, or at 40K ft altitudes.....or in sub zero temperatures and in highly explosive atmospheres..... Otherwise, Nah, not worth it. YMMV
Yea! What he said.....
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:13 PM   #31
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local150 View Post
It is a pretty expensive way to get green valve caps.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #32
notanlines

Local150, do a search on this site and you will find the research I did a couple years ago. There are good articles quoted and it was unanimous: Bogus as a football bat.
And welcome to the forum!
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:41 PM   #33
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Just returned from a trip and my first and hopefully last blowout. Had various conversations with a Carlisle Engineer one being tire pressure, per his recommendation their tires should be aired up cold to the pressure stated on the tire regardless of load. Any pressure below that will actually cause the tire to heat up more. I have and will continue to run the carlisle radial trail F at 95 PSI.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:15 PM   #34
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Yeah, I saw that too, scratched my head, wondered if it was a misprint or some strange way of measuring/testing max load ratings, turned the page and completely forgot about it. Something to be said for "old age short term memory retention"....

While I can't explain it, it doesn't reach high enough on my "gotta know index" to do the research. Maybe this winter while we're snowed in, I'll open that webpage again and it'll then be "long term memory" ??? If you happen to ask Carlisle what it's all about, please share...
Ask Carlisle what?
CRS is a terrible condition!
Old 08-18-2018, 06:50 PM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Ask Carlisle what?
CRS is a terrible condition!
Carlisle? Who is he? CRS? Is that a military organization? Component Repair Squadron?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-18-2018, 07:01 PM   #36
flybouy
Site Team

CRS, you know, CRS, ….. what were we talking about?
Old 08-18-2018, 07:08 PM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
CRS, you know, CRS, ….. what were we talking about?
Hell, I DONNO or was it donut? hey, wanna go get a cup of coffee?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-18-2018, 07:14 PM   #38
Old Mustanger

Quote:

I guess this would be X3 to this
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:38 PM   #39
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Please pardon our members who just did a rendition of CRS: Cant Remember Squirrels.

Now back to our regularly scheduled foruming....

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote