Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
Javi

$1K per year

The DW and I finally decided to take the plunge and go back to DUMB phones, this will save us right at a grand a year with taxes and fees. We figure that most places we go have Wi-Fi either on site or it is available close by so the smart phones are really just convenient toys which we seldom use for productive reasons.

Anyone else come to this conclusion and actually take action to rectify the situation?
Old 08-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

My friends all kid me and say that my cell phone is rotary dial and party line. (let the young crowd think about that for a while) So you are not alone .... we are not cheap ... we are thrifty. No, on second thought, I'm cheap.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
suza

We still have our "dumb" flip phones - never moved to a Smart phone - didn't want to pay the cost of data connectivity. Two phones with more minutes than we use (free mobile to mobile and incoming calls) cost us less than $50 per month. We rely on Wi-Fi and our Netbook when on the road and get by just fine. We don't feel the need to be constantly "connected". I remember the days when we didn't even have cell phones. Better, yet, I remember the days when we had a party line

I'm happy just to know I can call in an emergency, if I get lost, or when I'm in the grocery store and need to know if we need milk and eggs
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
Ken / Claudia

I would still have my brick phone if they made a battery for it. Those were great dropped many times still worked. So big you could sit them down and not lose them. We upgraded to flip phones and I take can a photo with it if I knew how. Texing, I just call and talk.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I would still have my brick phone if they made a battery for it. Those were great dropped many times still worked. So big you could sit them down and not lose them. We upgraded to flip phones and I take can a photo with it if I knew how. Texing, I just call and talk.
I don't think the old "brick" phones will work with the new cell towers. When they upgraded to GPS locating, they became obsolete. They sure had good antennas, though.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 08-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
curlyfungirl

My daughter has her dad's brick on display in her room as a decoration. We would be LOST without our smart phones. They have come in handy more than once.
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
curlyfungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

For the past 40 years (before retirement in 2009) I was tied to "earth" by either a pager or later, by a cell phone. I was on call 24/7 and believe me, there was no mercy at times.... Whether it was 0300 on Sunday morning, in the middle of dinner on my birthday, or during the birth of our first grandchild, when it rang, I ran.....

So, when I retired, I promised myself NO MORE CELL PHONES!!!!! Well, not completley "no more" but the only person who has my cell number is my DW. I still have my "dumb phone" it's now 10 years old and ATT has a "pay as you go plan" for 250 minutes for $25. The minutes expire at the end of 90 days. I might use 10 minutes, so I lose 240 minutes every 90 days. But, that's cell phone coverage for $8 a month. Like others have said, it's nice to have it in an emergency, and yes, I do seem to get to the store and forget why I'm there more often now, so it's nice for that aslo. But, smart phone? I don't need anything in my pocket that's smarter than I am.... I'll stick to my old RAZR and as my DW often says, I wish I had my first digital NOKIA back. It had big buttons (10 of them) and all it did was "talk" LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
as my DW often says, I wish I had my first digital NOKIA back. It had big buttons (10 of them) and all it did was "talk" LOL
I agree on the Nokia
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 08-20-2013, 03:08 AM   #9
Javi

I wish we could get rid of them altogether but with parents in their late 80's and increasingly poor health that ain't happening.

We have a laptop that we take with us on trips, but may have to look into one of those pad thingies just to cut down on bulk.

We did get Samsung Rugby III's with big numbers..

First day without the smartphone was tough, I found myself reaching for it a lot more than I thought I did.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #10
Robby9

If you're not really using the service, then it makes sense to cancel it. However, I'm definitely not going to cancel my data plan. I find the smart phone extremely useful:

-map and sat photos
-directions
-restaurant locations and reviews
-high quality photos I can send to family and friends
-price check and/or get reviews when out shopping
-weather alerts
-weather radar

Also, most of the places I camp either have no wi-fi or it is extremely poor service. My tablet can use my phone's internet via bluetooth at camp or on the road.
Robby9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #11
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I wish we could get rid of them altogether but with parents in their late 80's and increasingly poor health that ain't happening.

We have a laptop that we take with us on trips, but may have to look into one of those pad thingies just to cut down on bulk.

We did get Samsung Rugby III's with big numbers..

First day without the smartphone was tough, I found myself reaching for it a lot more than I thought I did.
The parent thing is big. If I didn't have a cell phone, my mom would feel totally cut off
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 08-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
Family_5ers

I look foward to the day when I can transition back to a "dumb" phone. My smartphone is tied tightly to my job - and the ability to work remotely during longer trips. There just aren't too many bad things you can say about those old Nokia's...
Current 5er: 2013 Laredo 335TG
Past 5er: 2001 Innsbruk 27FRKD

Family_5ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:50 AM   #13
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family_5ers View Post
I look foward to the day when I can transition back to a "dumb" phone. My smartphone is tied tightly to my job - and the ability to work remotely during longer trips. There just aren't too many bad things you can say about those old Nokia's...
Withdrawal symptoms are slowly abating, I really didn't know just how addicted you can become to technology until now.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
labs4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Withdrawal symptoms are slowly abating, I really didn't know just how addicted you can become to technology until now.
I might start having seizures if I had to give up my smart device(s). I am all over the place, and these devices allow me to be very efficient!!
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #15
SAABDOCTOR

when I am at the campground that funny button marked "off" gets pushed and it never works again till i am back home! I am the old parents and the kids know better!!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote