Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2018, 04:29 PM   #21
judia

Have also heard to put foam board, or a wool blanket, or something under your mattress. Also, reflectix on windows and on the outside walls of your cabinets. Helps in both hot and cold temps. Leave a vent open a bit and you may need a dehumidifier. Good luck!
judia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:48 PM   #22
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by judia View Post
Have also heard to put foam board, or a wool blanket, or something under your mattress. Also, reflectix on windows and on the outside walls of your cabinets. Helps in both hot and cold temps. Leave a vent open a bit and you may need a dehumidifier. Good luck!
A fellow on another forum put reflectix on the out side of the windows claiming it would damage the dual pane windows if on the inside.
There's 2 problems for me with his idea, #1 it would look like total crap from the outside, #2 my DW would NEVER allow me to turn it into a cave inside with NO natural light. If there was a 3rd, I don't think it would damage the windows or make a noticeable difference in the temps.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:04 PM   #23
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
A fellow on another forum put reflectix on the out side of the windows claiming it would damage the dual pane windows if on the inside.
There's 2 problems for me with his idea, #1 it would look like total crap from the outside, #2 my DW would NEVER allow me to turn it into a cave inside with NO natural light. If there was a 3rd, I don't think it would damage the windows or make a noticeable difference in the temps.
My wife would never let me cover all of the windows and make it like a cave either.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:14 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Don't ask/Don't tell: Some say it worked in the military for almost 20 years, Some say it was a complete success, some say it was a total failure.... Probably best not to even discuss "don't ask/don't tell" as it pertains to the military,

Now, as for insurance and warranties....... Don't ask/don't tell is probably a better program for RV's, eh???? YMMV

Here's the deal to me, if that means a whit.

Don't ask don't tell? That phrase just bugs me. Is it or ain't it, as the question used to be. Go with that.

I was asked about how much time I would spend in my trailer when getting insurance; I told them I had no idea; I would not, could not live in it full time but had ZERO idea how much I would use it but probably less than 6 mos. a year - honest, factual. They did, at that time, mention some sort of differences for a "full time" user - I wasn't concerned. They had some sort of pricing/exclusions if I recall based on the amount of usage - I don't care.

I'm not sure how/why anyone that full times tries to hood wink the insurance companies to cut some expense....while not telling the truth. Failing to tell the truth, trying to "shade" reality is just a way to get caught in a terrible place somewhere in the future. I have tried that in the past...I have paid far more than anything I could have hoped to save. I have had family members that thought that was/should be a way of life to "get ahead" quicker than others; to cheat the system. They, every one, WISH they could have had a life of just owning up, telling the truth and pay for what you should as you go.

Not trying to judge, point fingers or anything else. I just believe we all should pay the price of whatever we are doing as we go, because....in the end you will pay that price one way or the other. And, as another poster mentioned, if you have enough "stuff" to worry about, get an umbrella policy...just don't skimp/lie on the declarations - it could cost you a fortune.

Edit: Not meant at your post particularly John, just the thought as you mention with a ? mark. Danny in the previous post had brought this point out as I recall.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:32 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Danny and Danny,

I didn't and don't consider your posts as being "aimed toward any person in particular". I suppose we're all speaking in generalities without pointing fingers. I agree with you Danny (sourdough) about trying to stay one step ahead of "bilking the system".... It seldom works, at least for me and I would rather just pay my share and keep moving forward.

Whether it's "fudging on towing overweight", making declarations about RV living arrangements or any host of other things that come to mind, seems easier to just fess up and do the right thing. Works for me, others may not agree, that's OK too......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:25 AM   #26
spade117

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I was asked about how much time I would spend in my trailer when getting insurance; I told them I had no idea; I would not, could not live in it full time but had ZERO idea how much I would use it but probably less than 6 mos. a year - honest, factual. They did, at that time, mention some sort of differences for a "full time" user - I wasn't concerned. They had some sort of pricing/exclusions if I recall based on the amount of usage - I don't care.
Years ago when I added my last trailer to our insurance, I don't recall being asked any questions about usage. They just wanted to know year, make, and model. Same deal when I switched to our current trailer earlier this year.

I'm guessing the state/region/weather where each person lives may change the info required.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:22 AM   #27
travelin texans

I'm not saying I was trying to cheat the system, get out of paying what's owed or lying out anything as I've also learned those lessons long ago, but I've also learned to NEVER volunteer information in some of those situations, if asked a direct question I'll tell. The "extended vacation" comment was brought up, as I stated, by my agent not me. There's only one reason he brought it up, he was about to lose business/money as he stated they don't cover fulltime rvs.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:28 AM   #28
Thoth1987

Hey all. Thanks again for all the advice. So far I have a water heater hose and the temp has not even gotten below 0 so all has been great. There was also a long delay in getting the trailer due to a leaking grey water tank that was replaced before delivery. I have a question about levelling it though. The levelling scissor jacks km the back and the motorized ones on the front do a great job but I need a slightly higher lift on the left side only. Should I get some wood under the left wheels to raise it or can the levelling jacks and feet raise it an inch or two without compromising their strength? The person who gave me the run down of the trailer at the lot was very specific saying the levelling jacks are not for lifting, only support. So does that mean an inch or two is out of the question or is he meaning don't try and lift the wheels off the ground?
Thoth1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:32 AM   #29
slow

New 5th wheel owner and rv'er in general

Anderson levellers under the low side tires is the easiest, especially if also using a LevelMatePRO. This all assumes you do not have auto level. If you do, you just need the wood blocks or the Anderson Levellers under the low tires.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:44 PM   #30
notanlines

The scissors on the rear are for stabilization only. This is very important . If someone tells you otherwise they are WRONG. You are to level your rig with 1x or 2x under the appropriate side tires when you park it, side to side. Front to rear is done with the front legs.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:07 PM   #31
Thoth1987

Haha, thanks again for the great info. I paid a tow company $158 to come and adjust the trailer for me. I was able to put about 4 pieces of treated ply boards under the left side and one under the right. It's excellently balanced now. I can lay in bed and not feel the blood rushing to my skull. I do have a level and noticed the largest slide-out I have[with a hid-a-bed and kitchen table(Now computer desk)] is I guess slightly dropped. Very little. I may just wait until the rain stops for a week or 2 and place some supports under the metal frame of it. So far the temp has gotten below 0 celcius. I've been keeping my furnace at 65-70 degrees farenheit and I've only used about half of one of my propane tanks. Fingers crossed for above 0 all season!
Thoth1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, general