Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2018, 07:04 PM   #1
Kzneft

Converter Recommendations

My RV is only a few months old. Haven't taken it out yet until the snow leaves. Anyway been reading a lot about the poor converters on RV's and how they do a poor job charging up your batteries so I am thinking about replacing mine with a good one before we head out this year. My RV is a 50amp so I am looking for recommendations for a replacement one.
Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:19 PM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Can't recommend one for you. I've owned 3 trailers and the converters on all 3 have worked as advertised.

If it was me. I'd save my money until it went bad and needed replaced if that happens. It doesn't come up very often in the forum.

Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:22 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Leave it alone until it fails. If you can locate it, look for the model number, often times the Amp rating is part of that number. Shore cord amps doesn’t mean your converter is 50 amps. WFCO makes good converters, and if that’s what’s in your unit, I would figure on years of acceptable service.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:44 PM   #4
Alpine

I just replaced my WFCO last December, with a Progressive Dynamics. The WFCO lasted five years. I like the Pro. Dyn. management system of keeping your batteries maintained. I could hear the WFCO fan... this one is totally silent, knock on wood!

BOOST Mode 14.4 Volts – Rapidly brings the RV battery up to 90% of full charge.

NORMAL Mode
13.6 Volts – Safely completes the charge.

STORAGE Mode
13.2 Volts – Maintains charge with minimal gassing or water loss.

EQUALIZATION Mode 14.4 Volts – Every 21 hours for a period of 15 minutes prevents battery stratification & sulfation – the leading cause of battery failure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	92845n-converter.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	16004  

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:37 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If you really want to do something to protect and improve your electrical system, install a quality surge protector/electrical management system. It will serve you "miles further" in protecting your entire electrical system from over/under voltage, mis-wired campground circuits and electrical surges. Essentially, converters are much like tow vehicles or hitches, everyone has their "preferred brand" and shun the others. All converters are essentially equal, some have a unique feature, others have a different feature not offered by the first.... It's a sure bet that no matter which converter you have, all the electrical power not consumed by immediate demand (lights, etc you are using at the time) is directed to battery charging. So, no matter if it's a Progressive, a WFCO or another brand, if it's a 65 watt converter and you're using 10 watts to light the trailer and run the refrigerator, the other 55 watts is available to charge the batteries and all converters currently on the market will charge your battery bank with comparable speed.

So, as others have stated, save your money and use the installed, OEM converter. You'll probably get 5+ years of good, dependable service, possibly double or triple that time. If you haven't yet, probably a much more important and useful addition to your new trailer is a surge/electrical management system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:20 AM   #6
Alpine

[QUOTE=JRTJH;281198 So, as others have stated, save your money and use the installed, OEM converter. You'll probably get 5+ years of good, dependable service, possibly double or triple that time. If you haven't yet, probably a much more important and useful addition to your new trailer is a surge/electrical management system.[/QUOTE]

Amen John, as always great advice!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EMSPT50X-2.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	16012  

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #7
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
I just replaced my WFCO last December, with a Progressive Dynamics...

BOOST Mode 14.4 Volts – Rapidly brings the RV battery up to 90% of full charge.

NORMAL Mode
13.6 Volts – Safely completes the charge.

STORAGE Mode
13.2 Volts – Maintains charge with minimal gassing or water loss.

EQUALIZATION Mode 14.4 Volts – Every 21 hours for a period of 15 minutes prevents battery stratification & sulfation – the leading cause of battery failure.
+1

I replaced my WFCO, last season when it turned up bad 2 weeks after the warranty period, with a progressive dynamics motherboard unit that fit in the WFCO load center. WFCO did honor the warranty and I sold the replacement unit to a member on here.

I like the fact that their boost voltage is higher and held longer than the WFCO, which charges the batteries quicker, when we are dry camping and using the generator to charge them.

The 4th stage, equalization mode, is something the WFCO did not offer and a nice feature if you leave your camper plugged all the time, like I do.

All in, switching to dual 6V GC2 batteries, replacing the converter, wires and battery box, I was just under $500.

-Brian
Old 04-13-2018, 02:01 PM   #8
travelin texans

For now I'd definitely take Johns advice & spend the new converter $$ on the surge protector/EMS NOW & wait on the converter. IMHO the surge protector should be mandatory on all rvs. I've had 6-7 rvs in the last 30 years & have never had to replace a converter, I'm sure they go out, but not sure I'd spend a couple hundred bucks +/- on a spare just in case.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #9
Kzneft

Thanks everyone! Good information. That was the first thing I did was put in a surge protector. I purchased the hard-wired one and installed it. See pic. I was just worried about the converter as I almost never stay in campgrounds with hookups.

I also emailed Progressive and asked them when I was looking. This was their reply...
What size is your converter in AMPS ?
The model number has this information. PD9260 is a 60 amp PD4045 is a 45 amp.
If you have a 60 amp converter and a 100 amp-hour battery discharged 50%
It will recharge to %95 in about an hour and then another 1.5 hours for the remaining 5%.
So approximately 2.5 hours for a 100 amp hour battery 50% discharged.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Surge Guard 1.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	16028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Surge Guard2.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	16029  
Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags