Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2015, 04:52 PM   #1
abc40kids

Pick up my 2015 Mountaineer 356TBF this week!

Trading my 2006 Cardinal in on this one..... It's pretty much loaded with 6 point level, 2 AC's, king bed, moride pin, equa-flex, double frig. Our Cardinal was nice but really wanted some of the new features.

So here is what it didn't have that my Cardinal did, slide toppers. I don't usually camp in the woods and I told myself I could do without because on my Cardinal they were the first things to start going south. What's the opinion here?? I know they can be added but with 5 slides it's not cheap. Thanks, Jeff
abc40kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:54 PM   #2
chris199

I wouldn't spend all that money on an RV and not add the toppers. Just bought a new 5er with 5 sludes but toppers will be installed.

JMHO.

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:34 AM   #3
abc40kids

I asked the dealer how much to add and they were at $2500.00. I told them I would pass for now. I've read all the"slide topper" forums and where there are 10 pros there are 10 cons. I've had them and understand what they do just not sure there worth the $$$. I don't mind climbing up to blow them off and I do understand when it's raining some water may come in with the slide but very little.

I will be picking it up Wenesday at least that's the plan and then I'll see how I feel about the toppers. I actually have access to them thru my shop, I now can get anything for the most part that you would find at a Camping World. Need to see how comfortable my guys are at installing these.looks like there are a few different kinds or grades of material..... wonder what the dealer was gonna use?

I spoke to Keystone and the guys at Grand Design and they both said if you inspect your slides before you retract them your fine. Both agreed they are not a necessity or they would have them on every 5er and tt.

If mine had come with I would have been fine with them but since they didn't I believe that money will go towards a nice cover and a few other items that we have our eye on.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:54 AM   #4
Rex1vt

Toppers

I can go either way,toppers,no toppers.I just do not believe the response you got from the factories.If they would put toppers on every unit if needed,why wouldn't they put decent tires on every unit,or any other set of simple fixes to a provide a quality product.
Rex1vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:49 PM   #5
abc40kids

Toppers and Tires

So what I got from Keystone and Grand Design was the toppers are not necessary and they add them when asked by the dealer. My local dealer sells Grand Design and not one has slide toppers. So it really does depend on you the customer...... The seals keep the water out and I don't mind sweeping or blowing off the slide-outs...

So as far as comparing slide toppers to tires, not a good comparison. Toppers per the manufacturer aren't something you have to have more like a convienience where tires you must have. I do agree they try to get by with the cheapest and mine will come off before the first trip replaced by G-614's and sell the junk for a used price to someone with an old trailer.