Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2015, 12:57 PM   #1
jerrycougar2014

Question Extended warranty needed?

How many of you with Keystone products have faced numerous repairs after 1 year Keystone warranty ran out? I know some appliances are longer but an overall assessment. Debating since my year is over. Is it worth it or just save money and fix if needed?
jerrycougar2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:23 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If you do consider an extended warranty, be aware that there are a number of companies that offer warranties. Some of these would be considered as "fly by night" companies and may not be in business during the entire term of your policy. I say "policy" since it's really an insurance policy with a "hefty" deductible. Currently, AAC has closed its doors and is no longer paying claims on the policies they had underwritten. However they are still charging credit cards for extensions of the policies they no longer honor. The Indiana attorney general has filed suit against them.

If you do decide to purchase an extended warranty, do your research carefully, find out what is (and more importantly, what is not) covered and only purchase from a reputable company that has a sound financial background.

You'll find both sides of the argument, Yes, buy one and No, don't buy one. Most will agree that if you have an expensive repair, it's nice to have the policy, but with the reliability of most components, you likely won't find a need to use it, in which case, it's money down the drain. Many here simply take the cost of the extended warranty and put it aside to use if there's a problem. That way, if nothing breaks, they are "money ahead"....

Do your research carefully if you do decide to purchase a warranty !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:32 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I think your question is a very subjective one that is entirely dependent on a person's thinking. I've never bought an extended warranty on anything - nothing. They seem a total waste of money based on my experiences. I did however buy a Good Sam's extended warranty on our 2014 Cougar High Country. I didn't initially but as I read up on possible issues, the reviews for Good Sam's policy and my personal worries over ?? I determined that I would. Is it worth it? I have no idea. I haven't used it and may never. If not, it was a waste of money. If I, as several I've read, all of a sudden have multiple expensive repairs then yes, it would be worth it. In this case I made up my mind to purchase it and put it out of my mind. Since I made the choice I see no reason to even think about it; if I need it it's there, if I don't, I just had great luck with my RV. If you don't get it you should put money back as if you had purchased it so you will have some money if something bad happens.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:56 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Another option to consider instead of purchasing an extended warranty is to set aside "x" dollars per month and use that "special RV account" for any repairs that may occur. Setting aside this fund does take some "determination and planning" as it is easy to forget about it and "skip payments".

Over the course of a year, you should have a pretty substantial amount that has built up depending of course on how much you set aside each month and how much you end up dipping into the kitty.

This way, you are not giving your money to someone else, there are no exclusions or fine print to worry about. If, over the years, you seldom or never use it, you and your wife can take all that cash and go on a cruise.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:53 PM   #5
Pmedic4

Extended Warranty issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you do consider an extended warranty, be aware that there are a number of companies that offer warranties. Some of these would be considered as "fly by night" companies and may not be in business during the entire term of your policy. I say "policy" since it's really an insurance policy with a "hefty" deductible. . . .

Do your research carefully if you do decide to purchase a warranty !!!!!
JRTJH says it pretty well. I was one of those caught when "Warranty Gold" went out of business on a car policy. I was fortunate, based on a few circumstances, only to lose a little bit.

The short story; While the company was listed as being in based Lincoln Nebraska, it was actually out of the Cayman Islands. When they went decided the scam was ripe for the picking, they closed up shop and US regulators couldn't touch them.

Based on my experience, I think all the extended warranty companies are somewhat like this, just waiting for the right moment to fold and go away, leaving you with the same repair bills. When the claims start to hit, they'll fold like a popup camper in a hurricane.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:38 AM   #6
WaltBennett

Was talked into an extended warranty for a Class C I bought many years ago. Only time I needed to use it, they refused to pay anything as the problem (electrical caused by building the coach) was considered part of the chassis. Never again.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:49 AM   #7
Javi

Yeah..... No.. We decided a long time ago not to participate in extended warranties for anything. Nowadays we put $50 a week into the "Trailer Fund" and make repairs out of that... When we traded up to the Cougar we had over $5K left in the trailer fund which we applied to the down payment as additional funds.

Since then we have begun replenishing the fund with our standard $50 a week..
Old 01-20-2015, 06:31 AM   #8
JeffS

I want to preface my comments about Extended Warranty with the fact that we are referencing a reputable company.

In my opinion the extended warranty, like insurance, is a “risk management” decision. I have problems with people who negatively say I purchased this and never used it. These are products that we hope to never need. Do you feel bad when a year goes by and you do not get to collect on your car or life insurance policies?
To purchase or not to purchase is a question that only you can answer based on many factors? How much will you be traveling with the 5th wheel, how long do you intend to keep it, what is the repair history of the components used, how much can you afford to self insure, etc? All of which go into the real decision of what your risk tolerance is. Making the correct decision for you, not what the decision was for someone else, is what will make travel with your 5th wheel more enjoyable.
Huntley, Illinois
formerly Norton Shores, Michigan
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:40 AM   #9
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
I want to preface my comments about Extended Warranty with the fact that we are referencing a reputable company.

In my opinion the extended warranty, like insurance, is a “risk management” decision. I have problems with people who negatively say I purchased this and never used it. These are products that we hope to never need. Do you feel bad when a year goes by and you do not get to collect on your car or life insurance policies?
To purchase or not to purchase is a question that only you can answer based on many factors? How much will you be traveling with the 5th wheel, how long do you intend to keep it, what is the repair history of the components used, how much can you afford to self insure, etc? All of which go into the real decision of what your risk tolerance is. Making the correct decision for you, not what the decision was for someone else, is what will make travel with your 5th wheel more enjoyable.

Yes on the car insurance although it is mandated by law and/or by the lender.

As for life insurance, someone will eventually get that money...
Old 01-20-2015, 09:24 AM   #10
BOWWOW

We purchased an extended warranty when we purchased our 5er new in 2010. I believe it was $1200. This went into effect when the 1 year factory warranty was over. Since then we have used it more than I thought we would. On things such as =
bent axles, fuel station fuel pump, roof replacement, power converter, generator parts and services, heater fan, window fell out of lower slideout, glass sliding door to garage fell apart, AC services.
The 1st year warranty covered new tires after 2 trips, the inside sidewalls had cracks and bubbles, also the inside tread was worn badly due to bent axles as noted above. Also after the 2nd trip we had new brakes all around as there was brake parts like springs and broken brake shoe parts lying in the driveway.

Sure didn't want any of these issues but IMO $1200 well spent, I think the total on all warranty work at this point is near $15,000 I have a $100 deductible. Right now I'm in for $1800
Edit =It runs through until Aug 2017.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:29 AM   #11
Campy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Another option to consider instead of purchasing an extended warranty is to set aside "x" dollars per month and use that "special RV account" for any repairs that may occur. Setting aside this fund does take some "determination and planning" as it is easy to forget about it and "skip payments".

Over the course of a year, you should have a pretty substantial amount that has built up depending of course on how much you set aside each month and how much you end up dipping into the kitty.

This way, you are not giving your money to someone else, there are no exclusions or fine print to worry about. If, over the years, you seldom or never use it, you and your wife can take all that cash and go on a cruise.
I like the way you think!
Being in the boat business for more than 30 years we use to sell extended warrantys to our customers for their boats. Finding out down the road these were crap and offered no support during a failure. One of their "cheating" ways out of paying is telling you that a "non-covered" part caused the failure. Keep your money in your pocket and save it for future repairs, you could also build up a nice down payment if things got real ugly.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:42 PM   #12
pakuma

As a retired Automobile General Manager I always but a service contract on vehicles. I bought it for our Cougar. Fortunately have not had to use it. Buy only from a reputable company and make sure that the dealer does not have control over the repairs, yes there are service contracts like that out there.
pakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:45 AM   #13
dave-g

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWWOW View Post
We purchased an extended warranty when we purchased our 5er new in 2010. I believe it was $1200. This went into effect when the 1 year factory warranty was over. Since then we have used it more than I thought we would. On things such as =
bent axles, fuel station fuel pump, roof replacement, power converter, generator parts and services, heater fan, window fell out of lower slideout, glass sliding door to garage fell apart, AC services.
The 1st year warranty covered new tires after 2 trips, the inside sidewalls had cracks and bubbles, also the inside tread was worn badly due to bent axles as noted above. Also after the 2nd trip we had new brakes all around as there was brake parts like springs and broken brake shoe parts lying in the driveway.

Sure didn't want any of these issues but IMO $1200 well spent, I think the total on all warranty work at this point is near $15,000 I have a $100 deductible. Right now I'm in for $1800
Edit =It runs through until Aug 2017.
We need the name of your company- you have found one that pays!
With cars I only buy a manufactures warranty, Third party stuff is very hard to look into.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:52 AM   #14
NotyetMHCowner

We are buying through RV Wholesalers in Ohio and they offer a extended warranty through Protective Xtra Ride. They have been around since I think the 60's. I have read pretty good things about this one. I have been skeptical about purchasing a warranty too, expecially because I think they are charging too much for it, but it lowers the rate a full percentage point so the payment is exactly the same. Because of that, I felt like it was a no-brainer. I wish the rate was the same no matter what, I would probably not get the warranty then.
1998 Coleman Grandview pop-up with slide

Trucks:
2006 Ford F350 CC, SB, DRW, 4x4
1992 Ford F150 SC, SB, 4x4
NotyetMHCowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:13 AM   #15
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotyetMHCowner View Post
We are buying through RV Wholesalers in Ohio and they offer a extended warranty through Protective Xtra Ride. They have been around since I think the 60's. I have read pretty good things about this one. I have been skeptical about purchasing a warranty too, expecially because I think they are charging too much for it, but it lowers the rate a full percentage point so the payment is exactly the same. Because of that, I felt like it was a no-brainer. I wish the rate was the same no matter what, I would probably not get the warranty then.
What rate?

The interest rate on the loan?

If so, I'm not even sure that's legal..

I know there was no such clause in my rate negotiation, the dealer offered me an extended warranty but only after we were well past the loan approval and interest rate was in writing.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:30 AM   #16
NotyetMHCowner

They get kick backs on financing through them. I would much prefer to finance through my local credit union, but it would cost substantially. I cant beat their price with their financing. It doesn't matter to me, just as long as I get the unit I pay for.
1998 Coleman Grandview pop-up with slide

Trucks:
2006 Ford F350 CC, SB, DRW, 4x4
1992 Ford F150 SC, SB, 4x4
NotyetMHCowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:56 PM   #17
BOWWOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
We need the name of your company- you have found one that pays!
With cars I only buy a manufactures warranty, Third party stuff is very hard to look into.
The plan we have is with Interstate Star RV check it out online or 1-800-942-0400

We have the Diamond plan. Our 5er is a toyhauler so we also added the fuel station option. This was all done through the dealer back in 2010. It was rolled into the financing, we just refinanced with a rate that is 2.75% lower also. Saving more money.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:03 AM   #18
Yosemitebob

What I did when I purchased it almost 2 years ago, I got the cost and what the payments would be. I have sense I've had it put the payment amount in a separate account, and that is my extended warranty. It works too, I have not had any major problems, but none the less, I don't use that money for anything else. If it ever comes to it, I can now replace some major items if need be.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:53 PM   #19
Camphost

We have a 2009 Fuzion with an after market warranty. It has been in the shop for a consistent 9 months. We take it out for a week or weekend and each trip we have another problem. Hopefully we will get over this hump soon, 10k in repairs in 9 months.
Camphost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:13 PM   #20
Yosemitebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camphost View Post
We have a 2009 Fuzion with an after market warranty. It has been in the shop for a consistent 9 months. We take it out for a week or weekend and each trip we have another problem. Hopefully we will get over this hump soon, 10k in repairs in 9 months.
Wow! Do you mind printing some of your problems?
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote