Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 06:15 AM   #41
JRTJH
Site Team

I think a lot of the lack of acceptance of the Andersen design/fabrication is "personal expectations of the product".

Think back to 2015 and all the "hoopla" that was going on about Ford changing the F150 from a "steel body truck" to a "military grade aluminum truck". Chevy produced commercials dropping toolboxes in their "better because it's a steel bed" and the discussions on here ranged from "It's junk and won't last" to "aluminum will make the truck impossible to repair and insurance will go sky high."......

The same occurred when television went from analog (2-13 VHF channels) to digital TV that required a "converter box" to use older sets. Now, try to find an old "tube type TV". But during the conversion, the "choice words" available to describe what the government was doing to us and how those "foreign TV's are taking over Westinghouse, Sylvania and RCA".....

I think a large part of the "lack of acceptance" is simply the human response to change.... It ain't like I expected, so it ain't gonna work and I ain't gonna spend my money on something new. Let someone else suffer the failures and losses, not me......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-02-2019, 06:28 AM   #42
Kzneft

I like how some say they like their 'A' hitch because it is so light. Really ? Most people never have to do an emergency stop towing 17,000+ of weight. Do you really want a hitch that is known for being light? I have my B&W Companion and love how heavily built is it. I feel secure knowing if I have to make an emergency stop my hitch is not going to collapse and sheer off the ball.

Old 06-15-2019, 03:30 PM   #43
dadnjesse

There is a reason tractor trailers use Fifth Wheel hitches, they haul more weight than we ever will. I'll stick with my Companion. Andersons 35 pound piece of Aluminum in my opinion is the weakest link. And their 5 million dollar insurance policy won't bring back your family.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:40 AM   #44
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadnjesse View Post
There is a reason tractor trailers use Fifth Wheel hitches, they haul more weight than we ever will. I'll stick with my Companion. Andersons 35 pound piece of Aluminum in my opinion is the weakest link. And their 5 million dollar insurance policy won't bring back your family.
Your Opinion is inaccurate it weighs 40 lbs of air craft Aluminum . The hitch has space to carry 5 gallons of def . I added the bar for the brake away cable . I have never seen where the Anderson came off but there is a thread going around where the failed hitch was his fault his excuse is so fishes it’s unbelievable. Have you been following the hitch threads .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	22280  
Old 06-16-2019, 07:51 AM   #45
MarknLeanna

Thanks, I appreciate your loyalty to B&W. They deserve credit for making an excellent product. The jury may still be out about the Anderson hitch, but so far I think they are doing ok. I have been unable to get an acceptable response from Anderson and am very frustrated. Will keep you posted.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:12 AM   #46
dadnjesse

I'm not being loyal to B&W but to fifthwheel hitches in general. Everyone on here states you need a dual wheel 1 ton truck with a Diesel engine and state of the art box steel frame and heavy duty brakes to tow theses trailers yet put these pieces of aluminum between these heavy duty trucks and heavy duty trailers and don't see the weak link.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:07 AM   #47
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadnjesse View Post
I'm not being loyal to B&W but to fifthwheel hitches in general. Everyone on here states you need a dual wheel 1 ton truck with a Diesel engine and state of the art box steel frame and heavy duty brakes to tow theses trailers yet put these pieces of aluminum between these heavy duty trucks and heavy duty trailers and don't see the weak link.
Very few people trolling it's like they started a Facebook dumpster fire and opened it up the next day to see what's in it .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2003 24 ft partycraft pontoon boat 125 Mecury .
2018 800 Z force sport. 1970 JD crawler loader.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:53 AM   #48
travelin texans

As I've said before, I had the B&W Companion which was a great product! I have NO experience with the Anderson, I looked at it very thorough when hitch shopiping, just couldn't get past how flimsy they look especially the lightweight "aircraft aluminum" one. I read all the reviews & testing on them & still had one question, they show vertical pressure test to xxx lbs but never show a horizontal test pressure. Once my 16.5k 5er is sat on it with 3500-4000 lb pin weight the vertical weight is not likely to increase by 2-3-4 times that weight, but a quick braking situation with that 16.5k pushing it will be substantial & they have no info for that.
For those that use & like them I'm glad, that's why there are so many types/brands on the market, so we can get what we want.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #49
jsb5717

Sometimes dually, yes, sometimes not. It's not about how much steel is carrying your trailer. It's about the entire, documented, warranted, engineered, weight management system. Every piece in the mix needs to meet or exceed the requirements...that's all. Heavier doesn't necessarily mean stronger any more than lighter means weaker. Brands with good reputations sell products to people who feel better because they feel safer. Time and broad usage proves whether or not their claims are legit. Convenience and ease of use are also important but shouldn't trump safety. If it doesn't then buy what makes you feel safe and meets your needs.
Andersen Ultimate Hitch on B&W Turnover Ball
Old 06-17-2019, 09:52 AM   #50
Theoldroaddog

Tahoe tumbleweed:
Welcome to the forum. I will not comment on a specific hitch or weight ratings. I will talk about your driverís license.

Most states require an upgrade to your driverís license any time the towed vehicle has a GVWR over 12500 pounds. This will usually be a class A non commercial license.

Trying to give a heads up, your state may be different than mine. Here is Ca, the class A non commercial is required.

Enjoy the RV.

Closed Thread

Tags
hitch