Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2019, 04:20 AM   #1
Jacko

Avalanche 333MK anyone got one???

Just bought this and should pick it up Friday. It has a BIG residential 3 door fridge, 120V and battery ( 2 battery setup with inverter ). How long should the fridge stay on using just the batteries? Going to boondock at the Tampa Fairgrounds for the RV Show in Jan 2020 just for the day.

Newbee first 5th wheel and first truck. RV'ed many years with Class A's and Class C's but Wife Unit wanted MORE room..
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:48 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new unit! Asking how long the fridge will operate is kind of like asking how long will the propane last.

In your case, you need to know if indeed there is a dedicated battery for the inverter and if so what size/type. Then ask yourself, are you going to make ice? How many times are you going to open the fridge door and “graze” before choosing an item?

Fridge and battery specs will help.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:10 AM   #3
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
Just bought this and should pick it up Friday. It has a BIG residential 3 door fridge, 120V and battery ( 2 battery setup with inverter ). How long should the fridge stay on using just the batteries? Going to boondock at the Tampa Fairgrounds for the RV Show in Jan 2020 just for the day.

Newbee first 5th wheel and first truck. RV'ed many years with Class A's and Class C's but Wife Unit wanted MORE room..
Chuck is right, lots of variables. Keep the doors closed, no ice etc, 6-8 hours tops.

There are a few threads that get into just how many watts theses things suck out per hour. It’s staggering. I now have (2) six volt batteries dedicated to the fridge, and (4) 6 volt dedicated to the rest of the trailer. I can switch them over to help the fridge batteries when they run low.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:44 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

That's like asking what my fuel milage will be not knowing how you drive, where you drive, or what load is in your vehicle. More info would help but it's still a guess.

So with that said my answer would be just am\ambiguous. One one battery not very long and on two batteries a little longer.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:09 AM   #5
travelin texans

You will need some way to charge the batteries (generator, solar or shore power) during the day if possible if you want the fridge to run all night. Without some sort of charging you'll need some coolers & bags of ice, forget using the fridge.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:02 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Jacko,

First, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new RV.

That said, when it comes to using your residential refrigerator while towing, read your Keystone owner's manual for operating restrictions. You indicated your location as Florida. IT'S HOT IN FLORIDA DURING THE SUMMER.... So, you're going to find that in your "closed up RV" with the sun hitting it, the interior temperature will be extremely high. You'll routinely find that temperature to be above 110F while you're towing and while the RV is stored with power on and the air conditioner off.

The first sentence in the Keystone owner's manual in the section (page 41) about the residential refrigerator reads:

"By design, these refrigerators will not operate properly when indoor air temperatures exceed approximately 110 degrees Fahrenheit. In addition, operating the refrigerator in these conditions could cause compressor failure which may not be considered warrantable. Leave the air conditioner set at a temperature below this if the refrigerator is left running in a vehicle that is not being used or shut it off."

As you can see, there is a "designed in issue" with the residential refrigerator that can cause damage to the compressor if it isn't operated in a cool environment. That environment can't be properly managed (cooled) while towing in hot, sunny areas when the air conditioner can't be or is not operating.

While some owners do operate their refrigerator while towing in hot weather, if damage to the refrigerator occurs, it may not be covered and many dealerships will not service the Samsung refrigerator INSIDE the RV, requiring the owner to remove it from the trailer before service. Just be aware that there are more "limitations" to that style refrigerator than "just how long will the battery last?".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:12 PM   #7
Tbos

Congratulations on the new rig. In my Alpine I have 2 12V Group 27 batteries in parallel and they run the inverter to run my residential fridge when not on shore power. I’ve never had an issue while towing, but I will open the vents if it’s hot so it doesn’t overheat in the RV. I will try to keep my trips to less than 6 hours too. Last winter I tried to run the heater and fridge all night on the batteries and the inverter and heater stopped working after about 5 hours or so. There just isn’t enough juice to run the heater ignition/fan and inverter. Looking to upgrade batteries soon. If the weather is mild in Jan in Tampa (I’ll be there to but in a CG) you might be ok for most of the day with the fridge closed, not making ice and nothing else on but the typical safety devices/detectors. If you run the batteries down too far you will need to charge them before bringing in the slides or running the hydraulic jack system. Do a test run at home before you go to the show that way you will have a better idea.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #8
Jacko

Thanks Tbos,

I asked the "Wife Unit" and was told we will only be spending about 5 hours there. Driving there so the batteries will be all fully charged. Will be looking sor a dual fuel generator to carry along with us. All of our A's and C's had generators, the 5th wheel is my first and still learning.
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:06 PM   #9
Tbos

Quote:
Thanks Tbos,

I asked the "Wife Unit" and was told we will only be spending about 5 hours there. Driving there so the batteries will be all fully charged. Will be looking sor a dual fuel generator to carry along with us. All of our A's and C's had generators, the 5th wheel is my first and still learning.

I think I’d still do a test run to make sure. 5 hours in Tampa in Jan you could probably just leave the fridge closed up and off. Turn the inverter off too if you decide to shut off the fridge. That will save battery too.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:17 AM   #10
gearhead

For 5 hours, and you will be at the show and not in your RV, I wouldn't worry about it.
But, just me, I would eat all the ice cream and drink all the beer beforehand; for preventative measure of course.
I would be shopping for a small portable generator for future use.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:10 AM   #11
sonofcy

Quote:

I have a 2018 with a residential fridge. It uses 1.5kWh per 24 hour day. If you have a pair of Trojan T105's, you have 1.35kWh at 50% draw down (more than that is damaging to your battery and I even tried to keep it at 30%, it's just the way FLA batteries are) If you have dealer installed batteries you likely only have 0.9kWh of battery power. That would translate to 16 hours whereas the T105's will give you 21.6 hours. If you don't know how much power your fridge uses, get a Killawatt meter and measure it for a week or so. The meter will give you total kWh's used and run time, simple math gives you the 24 hour number. I am upgrading my rig for full time use and a lot of boondocking. 7.2kWh of Lithium batteries, about 1.36kWatts of solar and a complete AM Solar Victron setup re MPPT, 3,000 watt inverter with 50 amp passthrough and 120 amp charger plus all the usual Victron goodies. With this solar setup the limiting factor will be the black tank which we can use for 7 to 10 days.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:35 AM   #12
Lil Joe

Hi Jacko. Welcome to the world of 5th wheels. It's wonderful. Looking at the specs of your rig it states that it has electric and gas hookup for the fridge and NOT batteries. Similar to our Cougar 333MKS. And if batteries is an option, you could just run it on propane which will keep it cold for a long time. You could also prep it by pre cooling the fridge before you leave and loading it with items that have been pre-cooled especially beverage cans. This will help to keep it from overworking. Travelling down the road and having the propane on is acceptable.
Lil Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:50 AM   #13
n1282x

I have basically your same setup with the Samsung refrigerator. I can go for an unlimited time with no hookups with used ex residential solar panels on my roof that I got for $25 each. They feed a victron charge controller I have less than $700 total into my solar system. I never run out of power even on moderately cloudy days
n1282x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:07 AM   #14
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Joe View Post
Hi Jacko. Welcome to the world of 5th wheels. It's wonderful. Looking at the specs of your rig it states that it has electric and gas hookup for the fridge and NOT batteries. Similar to our Cougar 333MKS. And if batteries is an option, you could just run it on propane which will keep it cold for a long time. You could also prep it by pre cooling the fridge before you leave and loading it with items that have been pre-cooled especially beverage cans. This will help to keep it from overworking. Travelling down the road and having the propane on is acceptable.
Having a residential fridge means it is exactly the same as what you have in your house. NO propane, only 110VAC.
I am looking at the keystone web site and his RV is equipped with an 18 cf residential fridge as he stated. The 332MK is a standard RV fridge.
One tip to the OP, disconnect the ice maker using the valve under the sink or risk a leak if you ever camp in freezing weather because the icemaker water line is OUTSIDE the RV under the slide! Also open the valve near the fridge and drain the line.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:30 AM   #15
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Jacko,

First, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new RV.

That said, when it comes to using your residential refrigerator while towing, read your Keystone owner's manual for operating restrictions. You indicated your location as Florida. IT'S HOT IN FLORIDA DURING THE SUMMER.... So, you're going to find that in your "closed up RV" with the sun hitting it, the interior temperature will be extremely high. You'll routinely find that temperature to be above 110F while you're towing and while the RV is stored with power on and the air conditioner off.

The first sentence in the Keystone owner's manual in the section (page 41) about the residential refrigerator reads:

"By design, these refrigerators will not operate properly when indoor air temperatures exceed approximately 110 degrees Fahrenheit. In addition, operating the refrigerator in these conditions could cause compressor failure which may not be considered warrantable. Leave the air conditioner set at a temperature below this if the refrigerator is left running in a vehicle that is not being used or shut it off."

As you can see, there is a "designed in issue" with the residential refrigerator that can cause damage to the compressor if it isn't operated in a cool environment. That environment can't be properly managed (cooled) while towing in hot, sunny areas when the air conditioner can't be or is not operating.

While some owners do operate their refrigerator while towing in hot weather, if damage to the refrigerator occurs, it may not be covered and many dealerships will not service the Samsung refrigerator INSIDE the RV, requiring the owner to remove it from the trailer before service. Just be aware that there are more "limitations" to that style refrigerator than "just how long will the battery last?".....
Good to know about the 110 limit, now I know for sure to avoid that kind of weather. I am much happier at 50-70 than anything hotter. Much prefer Vancouver Island in the summer and the south west in the winter. However, if I absolutely had to be in that kind of heat, I would simply turn on the A/C so the fridge would be at 75 at worst. With the solar setup we will have the A/C can even run while driving especially since the truck will also be supplying power from my dual battery, dual alternator setup.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:01 PM   #16
MadMingus

Just closed the deal on the SAME unit today... excited to see where it takes us.
MadMingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:31 PM   #17
Big1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMingus View Post
Just closed the deal on the SAME unit today... excited to see where it takes us.

Congrats and welcome to the forum.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:42 PM   #18
dadnjesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
I am upgrading my rig for full time use and a lot of boondocking. 7.2kWh of Lithium batteries, about 1.36kWatts of solar and a complete AM Solar Victron setup re MPPT, 3,000 watt inverter with 50 amp passthrough and 120 amp charger plus all the usual Victron goodies. With this solar setup the limiting factor will be the black tank which we can use for 7 to 10 days.
How much does that cost?
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:48 PM   #19
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadnjesse View Post
How much does that cost?
Doing the install myself around $8k maybe less as prices are dropping and I will do the install July 2021