Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2017, 03:52 PM   #1

Bedroom

I just bought a used fuzion touring edition and we used it in temperatures around 0 degrees Celsius. I found that the furnace ran alot and that the nose of the trailer was cold. Can feel the drafts. Anyone with info would be great.
302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:31 AM   #2
notanlines

I probably don't have the words you want to hear, but here goes: You are trying heat ALOT of trailer in a fairly cold environment with not much furnace. Most of these RV's are engineered to make that freezing point just about the very lowest mark at which they'll perform. The draft issues should be much easier to run down. There are a limited number of places that air can come in; slide seals, window openings, ceiling vents, stove vent and man-doors. In your case the ramp seals at the rear. Close off the garage and block those vents. Most members here will augment their furnace operation with electric heaters. I might also add you should research this site for duct work problems on furnaces. Make sure they are sealed tight with aluminum tape (good quality) and no blockages.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:51 AM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 View Post
I just bought a used fuzion touring edition and we used it in temperatures around 0 degrees Celsius. I found that the furnace ran alot and that the nose of the trailer was cold. Can feel the drafts. Anyone with info would be great.
As notanlines points out, one has to be aggressive in helping the furnace do it's job as best it can. This thread, in particular, points out one with the furnace system:

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ight=heat+duct

These threads offer more info and ideas:

Here are some other recent ones containing more information:

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...highlight=duct

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...highlight=duct

This question gets asked a lot. We just answered this for another member within the last few days, and there are a lot more threads to be found on the topic. I encourage you (and others) to find and read them.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:02 AM   #4
rhagfo

Notanlines has several good points, when heating two important items com to mind.
1. Heating duct air leaks! These are all poorly sealed, this is where the high quality foil duct tape comes in. I found the biggest leak to be between the furnace and the floor duct system.

2. Windows, we put window film on all fixed glass, we have several large windows and this helped a lot.

We now heat with the Cheap Heat electric add on system easily to below freezing. The system doesn't run overly often. That and on 50 amps the system uses 5,000 ways that equals 17,050 btu's so noticeably less than the 30,000 btu's our gas furnace is rated at.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:07 AM   #5

Ok so I had the patio door closed as I know the garage part is not sealed well. I did run a electric heater to help the furnace. But what I am asking is the floor above the hitch... Bedroom is cold and I feel a draft from the sliding door to separate the bedroom from the living room I will read the threads later tonight.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:33 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

If you open the basement doors and look up you'll see that there's probably no insulation between the basement storage area and the bedroom/bathroom floor. That area is "supposedly heated" and the insulation is under the basement storage, but even then, the basement doors and the front door (under the overhang) are 3/4" foam (R3/4), so there's really very little insulation there as well. Behind that bulkhead wall is the "innerds" of your fifth wheel and is the space that's under the steps and behind the vertical wall on the front of the main cabin. None of that area is heated either (other than residual heat that's lost from the ducting). Given the R9 walls, Radiant Foil Technology (bubble wrap) in the floor, front cap and slides and the single pane windows, you aren't going to get much "draft free home style cozyness" in any travel trailer. Some are better than others, but if you look at the 30,000 BTU required to keep it cool in 90F temps, it takes as much or more to keep it warm in 20F temps.

When you start looking critically at the trailer, you'll see that there are 3" holes cut in the floor for a 1/2" PEX cold water line, the rest is left open to the "trailer underside" which is filled with holes, steel bulkheads that are not insulated and the bottom is covered with a 1/4" sheet of "corrugated plastic" that may have an R value of 2 ???

So, no, your trailer isn't "a model of thermal efficiency". In fact, it, like all the rest of our trailers, is a "3 season trailer" at best and the "outer fringes" of the early and late season are "iffy"..... Sure, there are people who live in travel trailers in extremely cold places, but they make some significant modifications to their trailers, essentially making them immobile, in order to keep them relatively comfortable. I don't know of anybody who uses their Keystone product as a "winter home" and tows it from place to place in temps below about 20. Don't expect to be able to "pack up on Thursday evening" and tow it to a ski resort and stay warm on the 60 pounds of propane, even with shore power you're going to find it difficult to stay as warm and comfortable as you would in a hotel room with a "real thermostat" and unlimited hot water.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:49 PM   #7

According to the pamphlet my trailer is supposed to be r31 floors and roof. Walls a little cooler but supposed to have the upgraded insulation package. I am going to check the partitions and see the insulation if not I will put blow in foam. Cause it's only thanksgiving here and it was cool but no snow yet. I do have duel pain windows.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:37 PM   #8

So I just got my trailer out of the shop. The vent ducks were the right length. But the foam weather strip around the doors leaked. They recommended putting insulation in the floor cause there was a thin fibreglass Insulation there. Also to insulate the storage bins to help with the floor being cold. I don't live in the trailer but want it to be warmer then what it was. My parents trailer is older and warmer.

Tags
bed, bedroom