Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2017, 10:43 AM   #1
linux3

Thermostat ON switch

From my past post we are fair weather campers. I have a small electric heater and that has always worked OK.
However, when the temp is 31 degrees I needed, for the first time, the furnace. In 2 seasons of camping this is the first time and I'm glad it worked.
However, the OFF ON switch on top of the thermostat is REAL hard to move from OFF to ON. I don't really see any issues. Are they all like this?
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:42 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

No, they are not all like that. I'd guess that if you've never used the furnace, possibly that switch has corroded internally??? That's just a SWAG, but if I were you, I'd either replace the thermostat or do some more "in depth" troubleshooting before you get yourself into a situation where you really need the heat and the switch "self-destructs" as you push it from one position to another. That's not the time to start figuring out why it's hard to change positions !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

John: I've seen some thermostats with real hard switches straight from the factory and I've had to take the cover off and use two hands to move the switch without tearing the whole thing off the wall.

I have had some success prying up on the contact so the arm of the switch moves easier, but you have to be sure it will still make contact in the "ON" position.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:08 AM   #4
Hankintu

We too, are in the hard to push on and off group. I thought I was going to break it the first couple of times i used it.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:41 AM   #5
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
the OFF ON switch on top of the thermostat is REAL hard to move from OFF to ON. I don't really see any issues. Are they all like this?
It's sound like you have a stand alone thermostat for heat only? This may not be of interest to you since you rarely us your units heater but here is a replacement I really like. Easy to use, easy to see, and set point is very accurate as compared to the manual sweep type. Here's an online provider (Amazon has them as well) https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...dv1000&_sop=15
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:54 AM   #6
linux3

The thermometer is almost impossible to read and the temp setting is AWAG.
I like the idea of replacement.
Will any 2 wire thermostat work?
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:17 AM   #7
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
Will any 2 wire thermostat work?
Pretty much with all the new digitals. All it's doing is closing an open contact.
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote