Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2017, 02:53 PM   #1
butterbean

Awning Fabric Replacement

Hello all, I have a 2010 Cougar Xlite 26BHS and it's time to replace the awning fabric. I've been looking on the internet and found all different types and price ranges. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with awning fabric? Also, should I spend the extra money for the fabric with the aluminum cover built in to to top? Any help would be appreciated!
butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:11 PM   #2
JimQ

Hi Butterbean and welcome to this awesome forum! If it were me, I would bring it to a repair faculty and have them do it. There are videos on YouTube on how to replace the fabric but you really have to use caution when handling the tension on the roller. There will be others chiming in shortly with their opinions. Good luck with your choice on the best approach for the replacement.
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:27 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Is your awning manual or electric? Metal wrap is not worth it IMO unless your in HIGH SUN area. If your looking for the same fabric, just fully extend the awning and look for the tag on the fabric. If your changing fabric you will need to know the length.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:27 PM   #4
butterbean

Just to clarify, I am planning on having a shop install it for me, just wondering how picky to be with the replacement fabric. I've found it everywhere from $150 to $500 for a 16 foot awning.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:56 PM   #5
butterbean

Chuckster, I thought the length was pretty standard. I know the width is measured from bar to bar and it is 16. Is 7 years pretty good for awning fabric or did mine wear out prematurely? Unfortunately the trailer sat in storage for most of this year due to family injuries and it seemed to adversely affect the awning fabric since it never got rolled out to dry out or anything. Just though the metal covering might help preservit the fabric better.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:59 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

I don't think I would buy the cheapest fabric, but I wouldn't buy the most expensive one either. Look at warranty, and if there are any reviews on-line. Popular alternative I'm seeing is Vinyl wrap, much lighter, can't chip and supposed to be fade resistant.

Length is arm to arm, width is "standard". I know it may seem goofy, but that's how they are measured.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #7
butterbean

Chuckster, thanks for the clarification. I think I know what I'm looking for now. Most of what I'm seeing out there now seems to be vinyl so I should be good to go. Thanks again!!

Tags
awning