Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2015, 07:41 PM   #1
chartrand

Suspension Upgrade on Premier 22RBPR

I get some bad chucking on some stretches of the highway and so I was hoping to upgrade the suspension on my trailer with an Equa-Flex. The premier has a 42 in spread on the Axle and the solid one piece Dexter thing says it's 13-148. I called Dexter and they do not have anything for wide axles.

So has anyone here upgraded there suspension on a wide axle trailer.

-Pat

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You might want to consider installing shock absorbers, but the very first thing I'd do is get some accurate weights on your rig. The vehicle front axle, rear axle and trailer axle weights with the distribution bars installed, then uncouple the distribution bars and reweigh. Pull off the scale, unhitch and then return to the scale to weigh the vehicle without the trailer. Then you'll have all the numbers you need to see exactly what weights you're putting on your vehicle and how much you're transferring back to the trailer.

Uncomfortable "chucking" that occurs on some highways is made worse by the "spring action" of the distribution bars as they react to the rise/fall of the tow vehicle as it's related to the trailer axles. Weighing your rig, will give you the information on just how your rig is "loaded", if you're not overloading your tow vehicle and/or the hitch bars, then, since an improved equalizer system isn't available, you might want to consider shocks. Shocks will help (not completely reduce) the "feedback forces" as the trailer responds to the spring action of the hitch distribution bars.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:53 AM   #3
slow

Just a thought: The Durango may be too lightly sprung on the rear, especially with the extra weight of the ProPride on the receiver. Rear air bags may be an option to consider so you are not transferring as much load with the WD to take out the sag. CAT scale data will verify if this is required.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:43 PM   #4
chartrand

Thanks guys.. My new airbags arrive yesterday for the Durango, and the shock kit from camping world has been ordered.

I'll report back next summer....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:45 AM   #5
scott24

We tow with a Durango and pull a Passport 22RB. Never had that issue .