Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2017, 02:38 PM   #1
sleeepr

Winterizing question

Can I winterize my coach without accessing the pump - by simply using an adequate volume of antifreeze in the fresh tank?
sleeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:58 PM   #2
Carrottop

Short answer is yes. Is it the best way to do it, no. You must make sure you empty all the water from the fresh water tank from the low point drains, then close them of course. Proceed to drain the hot water tank and move the switch to bypass. fill the fresh water tank enough for the pump to pull antifreeze from it. and away you go. Remember to remove the small screen from the city water connection and push the button in to allow antifreeze to flow out of the city line. This method will require you to do quite a bit more sanitizing in the spring to get the taste of the antifreeze out of the fresh water tank. Out of curiosity why not just access the pump and pull straight from the jug into the pump?
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #3
sleeepr

I've procrastinated, again. Didn't work at it to find/create access to the pump. Keystone doesn't make anything easy. Will still try to locate and get access to the pump. They didn't give me an access panel, so have to try to get there without destroying anything.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:53 PM   #4
gkainz

There's an access panel - just might be really disguised as a complete panel. What unit do you have?
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:00 PM   #5
Desert185

I just winterized in about 20 minutes.

Drain tank, low point drains and HW heater.

Close HW heater bypass valve.

Connect 40 psi air to city water inlet.

Open one faucet at a time, to include sinks, shower, washer valves, outside shower and flush toilet until water evacuates.

Run water pump for 15-20 seconds with a faucet open to purge water from pump.

Move 40 psi air to black tank flush system.

Remove air.

Pour RV antfreeze into p-traps, allowing enough to enter grey tank(s) and dump valves. Do same for toilet/black tank.

Done.

I haven’t seen anything colder than 6F where I live. Not pumping AF into the system hasn’t been an issue. YMMV...
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:49 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

^^^ same as above....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:35 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Just using compressed air is a good option where Desert185 and sourdough live, but in south/central Nebraska??? Eh, not so much. You'd be much better protected using antifreeze after the compressor.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:46 PM   #8
sleeepr

Trailer is a Summerland 3030BH. I got on the Keystone website and sent an inquiry. I think the pump is behind a panel in the pass-through, driver's side. There is a carpeted "night stand" beside the bed over it in the cabin. No screws or fasteners that I can see to remove the panel. Winters here can get down to -20, although we haven't had it that cold for years. Barely got down to zero the past couple years, but past performance is no guarantee of future returns.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:49 PM   #9
SteveC7010

There are several other current threads on winterizing, including one that started with the exact same question. All cover the same topic. The answer is still the same, find your pump or spend a lot of extra money for antifreeze every year that you don't really need plus the extra time and effort to thoroughly flush out the odor and taste from the FW tank in the spring.

Your dealer should have shown you the location of the pump and how to access it on the PDI when you accepted delivery of the trailer. It is one of critical points for any RV owner who lives in the cold parts of the hemisphere.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:46 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Your water pump is inside that carpeted "shelf/cabinet" that sits beside the bed on the road side of the bed. There are either 2 or 4 screws in the top (buried in the carpet and very difficult to find) that are #2 Roberts square drive screws. Find them, remove them and the entire top (carpet and wood) lifts up exposing the water pump.

You "can" add antifreeze to the fresh water tank, but it will likely be diluted by residual water making the antifreeze not as effective. You'll have a significant problem in the spring with antifreeze taste in your water tank. It will take many flushes, Clorox and baking soda to get most of the aftertaste out of the tank, and even then, if you leave water in the tank for a day or two (dry camping especially) it will "color" anything you make with it. I'd urge you to spend the time and find those 4 screws and do it right. Once you do, it'll make every year much easier and reduce your antifreeze requirement from 6-8 gallons down to 2 gallons. It's worth the investment in time to find those screws !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:30 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
^^^ same as above....

I was remiss. I didn't mean to imply that using air only would work for extreme temps, but I did. I was trying to point out the simplicity of winterizing....and it's the same if the OP just finds the pump and sets it up. Sorry for any confusion.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #12
sleeepr

Thank you so much. Will check that out tomorrow in the daylight. I like the dealership - good people and helpful, but wonder if they conveniently skip that bit of info to sell winterization packages. However, I could have also started earlier and should have given them a call... We'll get 'er done, and eagerly anticipate the warms to come in the spring.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:09 AM   #13
Eastham

On my 28 ft 2016 cougar the Carpet on the night stand raises up with the panel exposing the water pump no screws had to be removed if you open the storage under the bed the lip of the carpet panel raises up and the back of the carpet acts as a hinge.i was determined to find it when new this spring and good thing I did because there was a pin hole leak in the water conection.one of the elbows had a fracture. The dealer supplied the part and I changed it 200 miles away hope this is of some help.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:28 AM   #14
xrated

Once you remove those screws and have access to the water pump, most likely you will need one of these. It installs in the suction line side of the pump.....and allows you to siphon antifreeze out of the one gallon jugs and into and through the pump.......

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36543-P...tifreeze+valve

Most RV store carry them too, but if you are an Amazon prime member you can get it in two days with free shipping.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:45 AM   #15
DAN d

you can do it its not recomended do it the correct way and save time and money (good luck)
DAN d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:14 PM   #16
Bisjoe

Besides the water systems, does anything else have to be done? For example, will it hurt the TVs if it gets to 10F? Should they come into the house?

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:33 PM   #17
Eastham

I remove the battery and the spare tire .Dont have to but it look awful tempting just hanging there.I left one in fl. a few yrs back and a tail light lens and yellow chalk blocks walked off.and also 2 lug nuts went missing.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterizing