Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2014, 06:44 AM   #21
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post

The next very newbie question - did I read some of the responses right when they talked about not unhooking from the truck overnight? If I don't unhook from the truck for the night if everything is sitting level, I assume I would still put down the leveling jacks and front feet to stabilize the 5'er, just not so much that it would mess with the hitch in the bed of the truck?
When we stop somewhere for just one night, we don't unhook the truck unless we have to in order to level the trailer or if the site is too short and the truck will be out in the road. Provided the site is long enough, we park, check for level side-to-side (no need to be perfectly level-just level enough so the refer works) then we check for level fore-and-aft. We put the scissor jacks down but won't put the landing gear down unless we need to raise the front of the trailer.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:50 AM   #22
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyebobhockingcamper View Post
yes,just raise front of trailer till hitch head barely clears truck hitch,making sure you chock wheels first,i find passport to be very usefull.
I think that vampress_me has a 5th wheel not a TT.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #23
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
The next very newbie question - did I read some of the responses right when they talked about not unhooking from the truck overnight? If I don't unhook from the truck for the night if everything is sitting level, I assume I would still put down the leveling jacks and front feet to stabilize the 5'er, just not so much that it would mess with the hitch in the bed of the truck?
I didn't unhook at all if it was a level spot. I'd put the parking brake on, put down the stabilizers and wheel chocks, then crack a beer.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #24
sptddog

I am also a mom to 2 who does a lot of travel alone with two kids long distances (and sometimes the dog). If I'm going less than 8-10-12 hours, I generally leave at night around 6-7, drive until I'm tired, sleep, and finish in the am. I pre-plot possible locations to stop. I rarely do a campground for these types of trips, I usually use Cracker Barrels. I've had good success with feeling safe there and the kids LOVE getting up and grabbing breakfast before we get back on the road. If I'm going longer, I do opt for a campground, but tend to do the same driving arrangement. Drive the first night until 1-2 am, Cracker Barrel, drive daytime with my arrival time at the campground tied to check in time. It would really depend on just how long you want the trip to take. My kids 'haul' well, so they're pretty happy in the truck for hours on end.

I rarely unhook unless I absolutely have to (as others have said). I don't even put jacks down, just pull in, plug in electric and go. Now, if I'm noticeably un-level, in a campground for instance, I'd probably unhook or at least try to level out some.

If you're not a member of AAA or Good Sam or the like, I'd recommend joining - something specific to RVs. I speak firsthand how nice it is (with the kids especially) to have roadside assistance and someone to show up and not only take your truck but your trailer or vice versa. Worth it's weight in gold.

I don't worry much about safety, but I do try to think smart. My phone is ALWAYS charged when I'm alone (I leave it plugged in while in the truck) so that when we go back to the trailer to sleep (assuming we're at cracker barrel or a rest stop), I have enough charge for any emergencies. The kids (perhaps I'm a bit over protective) sleep in the front bedroom with me, rather than the garage (where I can't get to them with slides in, and there is a separate door to get in). I have pre-arranged times to communicate with my husband (or mom depending on the circumstances) along the route and those messages always give some idea of where we're at or where we're stopped. Generally I check in with him every 2 hours and then when we sleep (again assuming rest areas/cracker barrel, NOT campgrounds), he knows what time I'm expected to call or text in the morning. I've never had a situation that made me uncomfortable, but I like to think that being prepared is always worth it. My other two cents is a full toolkit. I've been known to learn the hard way (pre-kids) that my truck jack won't handle the trailer (get a trailer-aid and a solid jack), the wrench for the truck won't fit the trailer, 99% of the stuff these days is metric (so your standard tools on a 'leatherman' don't work lol), your spare might actually be flat unless you check it before you leave, detours stink..... I always pay close attention to diesel stops (in some remote areas, diesel is hard to find, and some small gas stations canopies are too low for my 5th wheel). We often use the trailer bathroom over the rest stops (much cleaner with the kids, we use a scented trash bag for paper, unless I've put water in the tank). I run my fridge on the road, have a lot of bottle water on hand, etc.

It was mentioned about going around Chicago - I opt for those passings at night. The roads are far less congested, and usually it's easier to navigate. Only thing to keep an eye out for is summertime road construction that occurs overnight and causes backups.

I find this site and others very helpful in finding routes or stopping points. I've posted a few times asking for 'safe' places to stop, or routes to take that are RV friendly. Great bits of advice they've already given you!

I bet it will be a great experience for you and the kids! I wish I had the luxury of doing something similar!
sptddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #25
KanTC

All very good info & sound advice. The only thing I will add is in reference to *Rest Stops* -

It can vary from state to state (sometimes county to county), but not all *Rest Stops* allow overnight RV parking.
Those that don't typically have a "Notice" posted: "No overnight camping" or something similar.

One other tidbit which may/may not be the same along your travel route, but... with recent funding/budget cuts, we've found that some states
have closed various Rest Stops. Open today, closed tomorrow!... so we no longer assume they'll be open/available while traveling.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #26
gearhead

Lots of good info. I would add that I kill time planning trips by zooming in on Google maps on my route until it shows the names of businesses. I have found some campgrounds that way that weren't on websites or were in a different city listing than I expected. Don't overlook county fair campgrounds.
I didn't know Cracker Barrel allowed overnight parking/camping. My favorite roadside food.
edit: If I'm fairly level, don't have to leave the campground, and want to get an early easy start, I just park and hook up utilities. No jacks down.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #27
koko

We've stayed at Cracker Barrels all over the country; and when we call ahead and ask if we can stay, they are always very cordial. One of our fondest memories last year was a cold October night parking at a Cracker Barrel overnight in Michigan and sitting by their huge fireplace having dinner. Sweet!

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:57 AM   #28
bsmith0404

When we travel long distance we use KOAs. The sites are usually level and the bathrooms clean. I have to unhook because we are too long for most places while hooked up, but I don't hook up anything other than electric. We use the campground bathroom and showers. They are usually nice and clean and have unlimited hot water. I always make reservations ahead of time and ask for a site close to the bathroom/shower house. We like KOAs because the kids can get out stretch their legs and usually hit the pool. I pull out the camp loungers and relax with a cold one. Most KOAs are close enough to towns that we order pizza delivery for the night and don't even bother cooking.

In the morning I only have to put the awning and slides back in, role up the power cord, hook up the truck and we're back on the road. Too easy. I normally find a fuel stop down the road a bit with a McDonalds for breakfast. I don't always like eating fast food on the trips, but for some reason kids love starting the day with McDonalds, it helps keep them contents for a few hours.

I do plan ahead as for my stops, usually 3-400 miles per day so everyone has time to relax and unwind, keeps the peace better.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote