Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
DMK

2013 Raptor 300 MP

Maybe I should post this under the warranty part of the forum, but since this is Raptor related thought I might get the responses I am looking for from in here. Overall I am very happy with this unit, but being on my second one there are a few common issues I have experienced!

I am on my 2nd New (2013) Raptor 300 MP for the year, the first one totaled out by storm damage (frame twisted after tipping up on two wheels). Noticed a few things on both trailers that seem to be an issue and wanted to get a consensus from other Raptor 300 MP owners if possible if they are seeing the same issues as I.

Rear fuel tank gauge not working, this has been an issue with both of my Raptors, unless I am not understanding something?? The gauge that is next to the fuel station fuel pump control has never moved from empty. On my way home from the dealer I filled the rear tank for generator (Dealer said they put in 8 gal to test the Gen) it took 22, so that was good, then I added 15 gal to the rear tank, which I had to fill at very slow rate not to have the gas splash back up the fill tube. I was expecting the gauge to read have and has not moved off of empty.

Lippert 6 point leveling system, I had a few different issues relating to the operation of my leveling system, never had the chance to get the 1st one resolved before the camper was damaged in the storm.
1st issue; would never return automatically to unhook height, the system would always say "operation aborted, use manual control" I did have parts ordered , but like I said earlier never had the chance to have them put on to see if it would have corrected it. The few times I have tried it on my new Raptor I have received the same message!
2nd Issue; Popping noises from system when sitting for a period of time.
3rd Issue: remote control of leveling system not working. With the remote system everything else seems to work, Patio light, awnings, slide rooms, but not the leveling system!

The other thing I noticed unfortunately after I returned home was that there was no closet pole in the closet! WTH! The dealer said he looked at the other one they had in their lot and said it didn't have one either... With the cost of these units why wouldn't there be a closet pole to hang your clothes on?? My first one had one, why wouldn't this one?? Definitely not worth driving back to the dealer for, but that's what I get for not paying closer attention during the walk thru! I should have brought a PDI checklist with me.

Never had any Gen issues with my first one, but I am with this one after it warms up and runs for a period of time it quits running flashes code #36, I know I have plenty of fresh gas as I just picked it up and filled it on Monday. Kind of frustrating when it's in the 90's out and you would like to run the AC.

2013 Raptor 300 MP, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 940 watt solar system, 630 ah battery bank, Magnum 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger, ME-ARC, ME-AGS, ME-BMK.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, 14L 60 Series Detroit, 10 spd Ultrashift, w/3.73, Trailer Saver TSLB 3 bag hitch.
DMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
rnkburg

I have the 2012 so this may or may not help.

Fuel station. My gauge works but the gen tank would pop a lot. Ended up being the vent plug on the tank was never removed from factory.

I have a closet bar.

I dont have the hydraulic leveling system, but I hear its nice.

The generator may be as simple as low charge on gen battery. The battery is separate from the coach battery and the gen doesn't put out enough to charge it back up. For long runs try putting a battery charger on it and see of it helps, I had to do that with mine. Dealer told me I could do that or tie into the coach battery that is charged from the invertor when plugged in or gen running.

Hope this helps some

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
howdy
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post

Rear fuel tank gauge not working-----Not surprised. Mine has big swings. Sits on full for a long time, then after enough gas is pumped out it will drop down to about half. Same with filling it up. I just make sure its topped off if I know I am going to b relying on that tank on a trip. Not something I would lose sleep over.

1st issue; would never return automatically to unhook height----Mine will do that also. I have found if it levels out higher than where it was hitched it will not return to hitch height and give error message. If it levels out lower than hitch height it will work and return to hitch height when buttons are pushed.

2nd Issue; Popping noises from system when sitting for a period of time.-----Mine does that along with many others on here. Do a search as it has been covered many times. I believe the current solution is to drain some hydraulic fluid and replace with fork oil.

3rd Issue: remote control of leveling system not working. ----No remote so I cannot help you there.
The above is what I have found out.
howdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
dogger

Here is what I know, or understand to your 3 questions:

1 - I had the same question and sent it to Lippert and got the following response "This is more of a safety feature. What it is telling you is from where you auto leveled it was at or near level or the reading was in the negative. What you need to do is when you take it off your truck you will need to raise the front of the coach a few inches. On the display there will be some readings. The front should be in the positive before auto leveling. Then auto level from that position. All this remembers is where the coach was when auto level was started. If you need anything else please let me know. "

I verified it would work by raising it off the coach to above level and it did indeed work.

2) I sent this question to Lippert also. Never got a reply, but have seen people say it was better or fixed by adding 15wt fork oil, and someone say they changed the contactor/solenoid valve. I am waiting to se Lippert response.

3) My remote wasn't setup to activate the autolevel. I saw it could be programmed easily as an extra feature. But it is not wired in, and you would have to do that yourself. So the dealer may have programmed it on the remote, but it really isn't setup hardware wise I would imagine. There was a bunch of other things I saw also that could be programmed such as lower rear beds, etc. There was room on the controller to add extra functions, but I am not going to bother stringing wires for anything extra. I am amused I can adjust my awning with the remote...
Old 08-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
DMK

Thanks for all the replies! As a retired 22 yr automotive service professional I am really disappointed in the the way the RV industry operates as far as the way they take care of their products, customers, and the lack of support with the dealers. There doesn't seem to be such things as good warranty service, dealer cooperation with one another (no dealer trades, parts trading, or doing warranty service for someone who purchased elsewhere).

Some of the issues may seem small, but when you pay as much $ for these vehicles I certainly expect more! One certainly shouldn't have to do it themselves. It is at least a good thing that I can.

If vehicles were delivered in my old dealer the way my two RV's were delivered to me somebody would have been fired, or at least had a good talking to!

2013 Raptor 300 MP, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 940 watt solar system, 630 ah battery bank, Magnum 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger, ME-ARC, ME-AGS, ME-BMK.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, 14L 60 Series Detroit, 10 spd Ultrashift, w/3.73, Trailer Saver TSLB 3 bag hitch.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
abneynormal

the rv industry dosent have the ntsb on em

I have a 3912 lev the gage isn't accurate but neither are the indicator lights. and for the other stuff I just fix or improve it. the rv industry does what it takes to make the ntsb happy. it is a sad day in America when I say that craftsmanship has died to lets slap er together to get paid and get some alcohol/drugs but that's the building industry. don't forget they use carpenters, electricians, plumbers, etc. not mechanics.
abneynormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:39 AM   #7
dpkimmel2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
Maybe I should post this under the warranty part of the forum, but since this is Raptor related thought I might get the responses I am looking for from in here. Overall I am very happy with this unit, but being on my second one there are a few common issues I have experienced!
I have the same unit but I don't have the leveling system.

I don't have any issues with the gauges. They seem to be hooked up properly. I do have similar issues filling the tanks though. I really have to listen to the tank fill to avoid splashback. Even then, it happens quite often.

I definitely have the closet pole.

I do not have the leveling system.

The generator..... Man has that been a PITA. I've had that in for service several times due to the exact same issue that you've described. There is a recall on that unit and the installation of the generator. I do not know the VIN range but you certainly need to inquire with your dealer. Mine was not in that range but after taking pictures and sending them into Keystone, mine was found to have the same defect. Extremely hot air was being pulled back through and around the system which was meant to help cool the unit. The heat was so excessive that it warped the outer door that covers the compartment. They replaced the door and installed 'the fix'. However, this still did not alleviate the problem. It took three separate visits to a Cummins repair shop after which they replaced the fuel pump, carburetor, reran the fuel lines, etc... We just got back last week from a week long trip. For the first time I actually was the one to shut down the generator using the switch. I think that they have the problems resolved but time will tell.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:52 AM   #8
ToyTLH

On my 2012 Raptor 300MP the gauge wiring is to the wrong tank. Both gauges work fine and I've used both tanks separately several times so I'm sure of it.

The one inside reads the tank with the pump/gas hose and the one outside reads the generator tank.

I think this issue may be more common than it should be!

I don't think there is an easy way to swap the wiring. If the gauges were at the same location, then just swap the wiring at the gauges.

My closet has the pole and I don't have the Lippert leveling system.
ToyTLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:43 AM   #9
DMK

Well, the dealer said to go ahead and install a closet pole and send them the receipt for reimbursement. (Still haven't received that it's been two weeks) After a phone call to Cummins they were thinking either a fuel pump or fuel vaporization issue. I am thinking it will go there long before the RV dealer.

Also seems like me leveling system needs to be calibrated? Unit does not look level when it says it is...

Looks like after the season is over it will go back and they can pull the tanks and fix the guages, they need to be working on a new unit.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #10
DMK

Just found the calibration info http://www.lci1.com/images/Flyers/Ow...c-leveling.pdf

Old 09-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
Sledge Hammer

You will have to calibrate the leveling system. Mine was off by 1.5 inches from side to side. There is an explanation in the manual. I did get a response from Lippert on the popping noise from the system. It took them a little over two weeks to respond to the email. They recommended adding one of the following anti-stiction fluids to the hydraulic fluid:
1. Torco RFF Grade 15 Fork Oil
2. Maxima Fork Oil Grade 15
3. Caterpillar Hydraulic Oil Additive 1U-9891
They go on to state:
For maximum results in the shortest amount of time, please follow the preparation and procedure exactly as written below. Failure to follow the preparation and procedure may result in delayed resolution of the audible disturbance.

Preparation:
1. Obtain a clean container (large enough to hold a quart of fluid)
2. Obtain a fluid extraction device (siphon, turkey baster, etc.
3. Fully retract all hydraulic cylinders and jacks.

Process:
1. Using the fluid extraction device, remove one quart of fluid from the power unit reservoir.
2. Add 1/2 quart of the specified fluid.
3. Extend all hydraulic cylinders and jacks fully.
4. Add the remaining amount of the specified fluid.
5. Fully retract all hydraulic cylinders and jacks.
6. Run the Auto-Level feature on the Level-Up system per the instructions found in the Owners Manual.

Note: If the noise persists, the addition of a second quart may be necessary. Follow steps 1 through 6.

I have picked up a quart of the Caterpillar fluid and it was about 28 bucks. I have not done the procedure yet. Should be interesting watching it lift the wheels off the ground with all the jacks fully extended. I am guessing they do that to make sure the new fluid gets completely mixed in. Good luck!
Sledge Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #12
DMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogger View Post
Here is what I know, or understand to your 3 questions:

3) My remote wasn't setup to activate the autolevel. I saw it could be programmed easily as an extra feature. But it is not wired in, and you would have to do that yourself. So the dealer may have programmed it on the remote, but it really isn't setup hardware wise I would imagine. There was a bunch of other things I saw also that could be programmed such as lower rear beds, etc. There was room on the controller to add extra functions, but I am not going to bother stringing wires for anything extra. I am amused I can adjust my awning with the remote...
An update on the remote not operating the leveling system!

A few days ago I stumbled on this linked youtube video. https://youtu.be/MmRu4FN1g7Y

Just like you had mentioned dogger, my dealer also said I would have to get additional wiring to make the remote function work with the level up system. NOT TRUE! After watching this video, in less than 3 minutes I had the remote working my level up by just following a few simple steps outlined in the video!

Took almost 5 years to find out! Better late than never!