Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2015, 01:41 PM   #21
Desert185

That's a great solution for dirt bikes, but I really like the Condor with the trailer adapter kit for the heavier BMW GS and how it holds the bike upright by itself while I tie it down.

http://store.condor-lift.com/product...ailer%252dStop

Have you ever weighed your 326 SRX when it was loaded? I wonder what your pin weight is?

BTW...HF is having a big parking lot sale beginning tomorrow. The 1000# capacity motorcycle lift is on sale for $299.99. $400 savings. Just in time for a spline lube...
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:03 PM   #22
randy69

Here is what I do with 1 grizzle and two Yammah quads and 2 250 dirt bikes. Roll up the carpet put it up against the wall & floor of the living quarters. I bought large and small tire chalks. Forgot to say I added 13 more the downs rings in the floor they are never in the right place when you use them. Anyway tie everything down and put everything in gear and lock the breaks. And on those special occasion going to sturgis or Laughlin I have a removable condor for the harleys.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:56 PM   #23
BlueknightWI

I've been trying to figure something as well, considering the cost of that Bolt It On system. Do you have some pictures you can share? I have a Harley Ultra Limited, which will usually be going along. We also will sometimes have another Limited in the garage on trips with friends. I keep trying to find an inexpensive way to make this work and still be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way Of Life View Post
Although I liked the concept, I did not like the price. If your multi bike option includes street bikes, as is my situation does, I opted for 2 Harbor Freight chocks. I then took 1 1/4" square tubing cut to 95" long. I drilled 3 holes that would line up with the 3 front tie down locations. This will allow me to attach the square tube securely to the floor using 1/2"-13 J-hooks.

Knowing that I would occasionally haul 1 or 2 motorcycles, I also drilled connecting holes centered on the square tube to allow the wheel chock to be positioned in the center of the garage, thus allowing equal weight distribution.

I wanted the luxury of being able to load motorcycles by myself using the locking chock. This option is not available on the Bolt It On system.

Total cost was $150.00......
BlueknightWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:48 AM   #24
Way Of Life

Here are some photos of what I did to duplicate the Bolt-It-On system. The added feature of self locking chocks is what I was after but is not available on the Bolt-It-On system.

The tubing is 2" square with an 1/8" thick wall. Purchased on ebay for $56 shipping included right to my door. I purchased the 1/2" diameter J hooks as well as the shouldering I bolts at Lowe's home store for $45. The wheel chocks came from Harbor Freight.

I drilled holes for the J bolts that are centered on the tie down positions in my Fuzion. I then drilled holes to locate one chock centered on the tube for single bike hauling. I also drilled holes to position both chocks with equal position too haul two bikes. The eye bolts are located 33" on center of the corresponding chock position. The eye bolts have a 2200 pound safe working limit.

When setting up at camp the chock/s are removed and placed in the back of my truck and the square tube is placed on the top bed in the garage. Of course the chocks can also be used in the garage or driveway for service or washing when the included cross member is reattached. All in all I have less than $200 invested here. Say what you will about the cheap Harbor Freight chocks.....These are rock solid construction. The only benefit with the Condor is the aluminum construction which decreases weight. The system I have put together comes in less than 100 lbs. Believe me when I say....."My bikes are mounted rock solid giving me piece of mind.....and that.....my friend.....is priceless! ".

.....and a Yorkie who thinks he rules the world.
Way Of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:47 PM   #25
BlueknightWI

Thank you! I think I may see about doing this. I know that people have had some issues with the HF product, and I would prefer to buy something made in the USA. However, for less than half the price this may be the ticket. Or, I just may buy the expensive ones-we will see. The one guy who replied earlier does have a point about cutting corners when you have so much invested already.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:09 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueknightWI View Post
Thank you! I think I may see about doing this. I know that people have had some issues with the HF product, and I would prefer to buy something made in the USA. However, for less than half the price this may be the ticket. Or, I just may buy the expensive ones-we will see. The one guy who replied earlier does have a point about cutting corners when you have so much invested already.
I don't know the exact reference that you're talking about, but there's a significant difference in buying landing gear for a widebody passenger plane and a wheel chock for a $9000 motorcycle. One has to be "built to the 9's" and one has to hold a front wheel steady. I wouldn't look at price as being the only factor, but just because it's expensive doesn't necessarily mean that it will work any better than the "cheap spread"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:25 PM   #27
Way Of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueknightWI View Post
Let me reassure you.....the HF chock is a quality system. NOT all HF items are quality made but this chock stands contrary to their negative reputation. The negative comments earlier in this discussion feed pertains to the hoop style chock.....a knock off of the Lock-N-Load system. I was extremely critical when reading literally hundreds of discussions on tie down systems and the HF chock was preferred by most because of the quality and most obvious the cost.

What drives the cost of the Condor up is the aluminum material used. What is very ironic....The HF chock is only 3 pounds heavier using steel....only giving up 6 pounds in my application.

Given the countless good reviews and an opportunity to save myself $500 I elected to go with HF chocks.....and to keep things legal....."I am not a paid spokesperson for HF chocks."
.....and a Yorkie who thinks he rules the world.
Way Of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:50 AM   #28
BlueknightWI

I agree with a lot of what several of you have posted in this thread. Being a noobie to TH and chocks, I wanted to research as much as possible to find what I'm most comfortable using.

QUOTE=JRTJH;164748]I don't know the exact reference that you're talking about, but there's a significant difference in buying landing gear for a widebody passenger plane and a wheel chock for a $9000 motorcycle. One has to be "built to the 9's" and one has to hold a front wheel steady. I wouldn't look at price as being the only factor, but just because it's expensive doesn't necessarily mean that it will work any better than the "cheap spread"......[/QUOTE]
Old 03-21-2015, 02:54 PM   #29
asp125

http://www.baxleycompanies.com/Sportchock.html

We have been on the road for the past year with our bikes. We used the Baxley sport chocks with ratchet straps at the stock tie down locations. It held our dirt bikes just fine to Moab, and our street bikes all over the lower 48. The rubber feet never moved an inch. I used two straps up front and one on the rear.
asp125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:10 AM   #30
hdrolling

I use the cheap HF condor style wheel locks in my 7x15 enclosed motorcycle trailer and never have had an issue. My question is for the people that travel and stay for extended periods, where do you store your big wheel chock while camping? I wouldn't want to keep it in the garage as that will be our dining room/ kids bedroom, but don't want to leave it out to be stolen either. Do you just wrap it in a tarp and lock it up outside or leave it in the garage?

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:00 AM   #31
Desert185

My Condor unbolts from the flat floor plate it mounts to. The garage floor is then unobstructed. You can then store it in the basement.

Its just the DW and the DD, so we leave it attached, but the removable feature is nice when I want to haul a quad.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:32 AM   #32
BlueknightWI

Well, since I've not yet received my trailer and/or installed the wheel chocks, I am only surmising. My intent is to store it either in the basement storage or in my truck when we are camping. We intend to use our garage for living space as well. Love your bike, by the way! I'm more of a chrome guy, but that is sharp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
I use the cheap HF condor style wheel locks in my 7x15 enclosed motorcycle trailer and never have had an issue. My question is for the people that travel and stay for extended periods, where do you store your big wheel chock while camping? I wouldn't want to keep it in the garage as that will be our dining room/ kids bedroom, but don't want to leave it out to be stolen either. Do you just wrap it in a tarp and lock it up outside or leave it in the garage?