Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2018, 12:43 PM   #1
Wxman

Water Heater Question Atwood in Passport

Hello all,
We brought our 19RB home after the season (for us anyway) last fall and I have been going through it and testing stuff after the winter sit. So far, so good as far as I can tell.
One question though. It has the Atwood 6 gal Gas/DSI electric water heater. Lights, heats, electric heats, etc., all just fine. Water gets HOT!!.
When running on gas I can hear a fair amount of sputtering now and again. It doesn't go out and if I watch the flame through the little site window (can't see much) I cant really tell anything. The flame I can see is yellow, not blue as I would have expected.
So curious to others experience. Should it 'just run' after lighting or is the occasional sputter sound to be expected? And, should the flame be more blue or is the bright yellow the norm for this?

We are leaving for our first trip, 3 nights, in about a week.

Thanks
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:18 PM   #2
Frank G

Not sure of the specifics, but you need to make sure there are no obstructions in the burner tube, like cobwebs. Or nesting stink bugs. The tube right after the orifice.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:29 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

There are several you-tube videos online that show how to adjust the air mixture on an Atwood water heater. I can't say that I'd trust "any of them" to be accurate, because I haven't seen most of them. All it takes is clicking on the one "bad info video" and you can mess things up. That said, here is a link to the factory pdf file on how to maintain your Atwood water heater. In it you'll find the correct way to check/adjust the air mixture. http://www.atwoodmobile.com/images/W...ceTri-Fold.pdf

The air mixture seldom needs to be adjusted. It's a mechanical adjustment and once set, it just doesn't move (altitude is the exception). So, chances are, if your flame is "yellow enough to soot the side of your RV and leave black stains above the water heater exhaust port, you might need to adjust the air mixture. Usually, all that's needed is a nylon bristle bottle brush and some compressed air (30-40 PSI is enough). Brush the components gently, use compressed air to remove anything that might linger and you're done.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:04 PM   #4
Wxman

Thanks gentlemen. I figured it was out of whack just a little. The water heater and plumbing were things we skipped on the inspection at pickup because it was too stinkin cold. I will check for obstructions first, but I imagine it just wasn't quite right from the factory/dealer. Hasn't run long enough to cause any soot problems. Just like anything else gas I imagine, adjust the air some to get a mostly blue flame (and probably quieter). I will further check out the manual and .pdf.
Thanks again.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:18 PM   #5
Wxman

Just a follow up for anyone interested. Burner tube was clean and looked like new. Adjusted the air a little and it is all much better. Now have a mostly blue flame and much quieter. Took a few tries. I would think it was perfect and then I would close the cover and it would begin sputtering again. I guess the door adds just a little restriction. I had to over adjust the air just a little so it would be good with the door closed. Just thought that was interesting. May have been why it was off a little to begin with.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:50 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks for sharing your findings. To me it's important that we all share what we learn for the benefit of others - it makes this a special forum.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:43 AM   #7
ptooti

https://www.lancecamper.com/docs/Lance-atwood.pdf
ptooti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, passport, water, water heater