Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2023, 07:28 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

We were about 200 miles south of here, near Brighton, MI. We might as well have been 10K miles from home. Trying to find someone to work on an RV axle without a 2 or 3 month in advance appointment was impossible. I finally found a place in Pontiac that would "look at it and let me know" so we towed, like you, tire missing, axle strapped up to the frame and an over-inflated opposing tire.

They did a "bangup job" of repairing the spindle and rebuilding the hub, but I simply never trusted that axle again and after towing it home, I ordered upgraded Dexter's, installed them and sold the two OEM axles to a farmer who built a utility trailer with them. He's happy, I'm happy and I haven't had any issues with the axles since that upgrade.

It would be nice to have 16" wheels/tires, but that's not a possibility the way I see it. I suppose I could make it work, but if I get my hand stuck between the tires when spinning them or changing them, that's just too close for my comfort, so I'll stick with the wheels and tires I have, at least for now. This is probably our last trailer, so I'm not looking too hard to invest money that's for "nice but not necessary" upgrades.... DW sort of made me see that point... <sigh> LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 08:47 PM   #22
fjr vfr

It would be nice to have 16" wheels/tires, but that's not a possibility the way I see it. I suppose I could make it work, but if I get my hand stuck between the tires when spinning them or changing them, that's just too close for my comfort, so I'll stick with the wheels and tires I have, at least for now. This is probably our last trailer, so I'm not looking too hard to invest money that's for "nice but not necessary" upgrades.... DW sort of made me see that point... <sigh> LOL[/QUOTE]

I agree, I'll stick with the 15" wheels, but maybe I'll put Carlisle tires on this time. When we're back home this summer I plan to replace the 5200 ibs axle with a 6k. I have been meaning to do it, but I have a bad habit of putting second things first.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 05:21 PM   #23
GilaElkHunter

I took a tire off one of my trucks to Big O to have a flat repaired. Left it there to be fixed while running errands and came back to get it. I was told they would not repair it because it was over 5 yrs old. Have since heard that a lot of tire stores are doing this. I don't know if it pertains to trailer tires, but don't know why they would be any different. Just an FYI if your tires are over 5 yrs old.
2019 High Country 310RE
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Sailun S637 tires
GilaElkHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 05:30 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Big O is a "wee bit greedy"....

Discount Tire in our city has a sign on the wall stating, "We will not service tires older than 10 years".

I looked up the corporate policy online and found the same information.

Here's the Discount Tire policy: https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-aging
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DISCOUNT TIRE AGE FOR SERVICE.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	45505  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 05:39 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaElkHunter View Post
I took a tire off one of my trucks to Big O to have a flat repaired. Left it there to be fixed while running errands and came back to get it. I was told they would not repair it because it was over 5 yrs old. Have since heard that a lot of tire stores are doing this. I don't know if it pertains to trailer tires, but don't know why they would be any different. Just an FYI if your tires are over 5 yrs old.

I won't do business with Big O. I tried the one in Alamogordo (you're in Silver City NM) and that began a terrible experience for me and them. I agree with John. Do you have a DT in Silver City?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 07:09 PM   #26
wiredgeorge

When I first owned my current clunker, I had the front end rebuilt and had the alignment done by Big O in SATX. No problems. One experience, good or bad, should not be reason to give advice on using a large chain store.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 08:04 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

I've tried Big O twice, both bad experiences so yes, I will relate a bad experience. As GilaElkHunter related, they also tried to zip him. As far as alignments, Big O tried that 3 times, THREE, on my truck and I could barely get across town to get someone competent to do it....the alignment guy said " it's the crown in the road"? I said "there is literally no crown and I'm pulling to the left as hard as I can". Some places are good, some bad with all kinds of things but I've been to two both bad...won't be back and seems to correlate to the experience of GilaElkHunter.

I've had front ends rebuilt; myself and by others, Big O is a tire company?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 12:23 AM   #28
CWtheMan

The authority as to how long a trailer tire might last is published by the tire builder.

Carlisle has always had published short life spans for their RV trailer tires.

My recommendation is to find the information from the builder of your RV trailer tires. The most logical place is the manufacturer's warranty.

http://www.4ktire.com/PSLT/carlislet...0of%20purchase.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 05:53 AM   #29
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I've tried Big O twice, both bad experiences so yes, I will relate a bad experience. As GilaElkHunter related, they also tried to zip him. As far as alignments, Big O tried that 3 times, THREE, on my truck and I could barely get across town to get someone competent to do it....the alignment guy said " it's the crown in the road"? I said "there is literally no crown and I'm pulling to the left as hard as I can". Some places are good, some bad with all kinds of things but I've been to two both bad...won't be back and seems to correlate to the experience of GilaElkHunter.

I've had front ends rebuilt; myself and by others, Big O is a tire company?
I had a local guy rebuild the front end; all the normal stuff but he didn't have the stuff needed to do an alignment. Big O did a good job with the alignment.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 07:19 AM   #30
GilaElkHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I won't do business with Big O. I tried the one in Alamogordo (you're in Silver City NM) and that began a terrible experience for me and them. I agree with John. Do you have a DT in Silver City?
No Discount Tire here, only Big O and a couple small independent shops. I know the family that has the Big O is why I try to give them some business.
2019 High Country 310RE
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Sailun S637 tires
GilaElkHunter is offline   Reply With Quote