Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
Scarpo

Tripod question

I am a new 5er, I just purchased a 2004 Montana 3685FL. My question is because the living room in in the front should I use a tripod for added support?
I plan to by the steadyfast system to help with shaking.
Scarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpo View Post
I am a new 5er, I just purchased a 2004 Montana 3685FL. My question is because the living room in in the front should I use a tripod for added support?
I plan to by the steadyfast system to help with shaking.
Many folks who have the SteadyFast have reported that they've stopped using the tripod all together.

We bought our Cougar at the end of the 2011 camping season and only got to use it for 6 nights before putting it away for the winter. We both agreed that additional stabilization is needed, but I am holding off even thinking about a tripod until we see how the SteadyFast works for us.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

We have a tripod and we're not really impressed with its effectiveness. From what I have been able to determine, the Steadyfast, or some other similar support system, is far superior to the tripod. Another nice feature of the Steadyfast is that you don't have to pack it around - find a place to keep it. The tripod could be redundant.
Might just give the tripod away ...... Steve? Scarpo? Sorry, shipping isn't free!
Old 01-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #4
Scarpo

Thanks for the info, I think I will go for the Steadyfast system.
Scarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:18 AM   #5
SAABDOCTOR

I TOO AM GOING WITH A STEADY FAST YSTM I WAS IN A CAMPER LIKE MINE AND IT WAS GREAT. CAN'T WAIT TO INSTALL IT AND GET RID OF THAT TRIPOD. WITH THE TRIPOD GONE I WILL HAVE A PLACE TO PARK THE GOLF CART AT NIGHT.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
Jim W

Even if I ever get around to installing a "SteadyFast" system to help with the rocking motion of the 5er, I will still use the Tripod.
I have found two great uses for the tripod.
One: The tripod will prevent me from hitting my head on the kingpin when I am in the front basement area. (Don’t ask)
Two: The tripod also prevents me from getting grease from the king pin on my clothes. (Don’t ask)
I would not go out and buy a tripod if I had the "Steadyfast" system on the 5er. But since I own the tripod already I would still use the tripod for the above two reasons.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
mhs4771

That's another one of those questions where you get the folks who will swear by them or swear at them. We opted for a slightly more expensive option by adding the Level-Up Auto Leveling System. Nothing will ever make you rock solid unless you block up the whole rig in numerous places like a Park Model or Mobile Home, but you can make it so you don't feel like you're at Sea during a storm.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
SteveC7010

Some other important points to remember in stabilizing a trailer:

The wheels need to be firmly chocked, too. If they're not chocked well, tripods and SteadyFast and most other stabilizing systems won't work nearly as well as they should.

(There are already several threads about the comparative merits of the various commercial and DIY chocking devices so I won't get any further into specifics in this thread.)

It's also my opinion that the scissors jack style of stabilizers work best if they are not extended more than about 50% of their reach. I carry some blocks made from 4"x4" and 4"x6" posts for cribbing up the stabilizers and landing gear. They're not always needed, but on a slopey site, I find them invaluable.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
Str8shooter

SteadyFast system only for us!

Hi Scarpo,

I originally purchased a tripod for our 36' Raptor toyhauler but once I installed the SteadyFast system there was no longer any need for the it. The SteadyFast bracing does it job well so the tripod was just something taking up space. This past November we spent a night in Williams, Arizona with winds in the 20 to 25 knots range but the Raptor held, well, steay with our SteadyFast system. There you have it, a real life testimony from a satisfied customer.

Good luck.

Rick & Carol
16k Pullrite SuperGlide w/SuperRails
2011 Polaris Ranger XP 800
Str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:40 AM   #10
cpaulsen

I have used the tripod and have never found an issue with it. It makes the front end rock solid for me.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:12 AM   #11
Ayotte

I use a tripod and find it makes our camper very stable and solid in the front. I do have a problem in the rear with the jacks(they can wabble) Plan on putting a cross stab. bar on the back.
Ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #12
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Hah, reading this thread tells me how much I do not know about stabilizing! I just bought my rig (also a 3685fl), and it has all sorts of scissor jacks and slide supports in the cubbies that I have not had time to play with. I do notice the rocking though. I have heard from others here to not use the slide supports, although maybe they can be used in other areas for stabilization? I think tomorrow I will pull everything out, take a picture, and see if I can get some good advice on optimal locations for stabilizers, or maybe places to not put put them? I will search around, but if someone wants to point me to a good thread or website about my options, I would not be sad.

Thanks all.
patagoniadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:37 PM   #13
JeffS

We had a tripod and it helped a little but nothing to get excited about. Installed the Steadyfast system in 2011 and have not used the tripod since.
Huntley, Illinois
formerly Norton Shores, Michigan
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:13 PM   #14
Festus2
Site Team

I purchased a used tripod a couple of years ago, tried it out briefly and was not impressed with its ability to stabilize the front portion of the 5th wheel. It not only did not function all that well but also took up valuable storage space.

For anyone considering a tripod verses the Steadyfast or other similar stabilizer systems, I would encourage them to forget about the tripod. It may work for some but I wasn't impressed.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:06 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're thinking about a tripod, I think the general consensus is to keep your money in your wallet

Realistically, you can take two ratchet cargo straps, hook them to your front landing gear in a crossed manner and tighten them (be careful not to bend your landing gear) and get better stabilization than with a tripod.

I'd suggest saving your money for a steadyfast system (but not before you actually try living in your RV and see if you really need more stability than what you can achieve with the jacks and other items you've yet to try to use.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:17 AM   #16
Pursuit

Tripod

Hi:

We're new to having a 5er and just managed to get our new rig in place before the snow set in. We have not spent more than a half hour in it, after positioning it on site, as the park was closed for the year. We won't be traveling with it and thus we have blocked, in addition to using the Lippert system.

My newbie question is......would a tripod add any more stability or the Lippert system with additional blocking will be enough stabilization.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alpine Pic.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	4911  
Old 01-30-2014, 07:12 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Putting blocks under the jacks (as pads) won't improve stability over using 2x10's or ???? Putting blocks under the frame to support the entire RV will significantly improve stability and essentially stop all movement inside the RV. This isn't practical with a "mobile" RV, but if you're going to be in one place for the duration, blocking the frame (similar to a mobile home) will give you a much more stable RV. Once you block it high enough to take all of the suspension/tire movement out of the unit, you'll notice a remarkable difference in stability.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:36 AM   #18
Loui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpo View Post
Thanks for the info, I think I will go for the Steadyfast system.
Good choice, we have the same model trailer and with the front living room, the Steadyfast, and good wheel chocks we all but eliminated the movement in the front.

Montana 3685FL
Chev, D/A
Loui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:51 AM   #19
SAABDOCTOR

I have not installed the steady fast yet too cold. i have had a tripod for many years It does a great job of holding my shed down at home! don't waste the $$ on a tripod!!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #20
Koladog

Great thread (and advice). I was considering buying a tripod based on all the great comments posted in camping world. Looks like I should save my money. I'm intrigued about using cargo straps to stabilize the unit. How does that work? What's the setup look like? Thanks.
Koladog is offline   Reply With Quote