Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2017, 08:40 AM   #81
NorskeBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog7571 View Post
M&M,
How do you fill your fresh water tank once you are already at your camp site? Just remove the over fill cover and use some kind of funnel?

Yes - removed the vent cover, and then removed the screen that is behind the cover.

Extended the flex attached to the funnel and inserted it into the vent line. Poured water into the funnel slowly and stopped a couple if times to let the tank burp through the vent line. It is a two person job - one to hold the funnel and one to pour the water.

I have tried filing with a garden hose and a few different hose/funnel arrangements - none of them worked. The funnel and funnel attachment I have now does the job. I purchased the funnel at the camp store at a state park.

I will have to use the same method at a couple of state parks we stay at. I try to get a site close to a water spigot so I can fill using the normal fill method or via the funnel/water container.

I mentioned in one of my earlier post that I had to tape up the vent line to get water in the tank via the vent connection. Used gorilla duct tape. Some RV shops use the gorilla tape for taping the belly liner. Easier to purchase (get mine at Lowe's) and is a little thicker/stronger tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fill vent 2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	13252  

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:14 AM   #82
davedebbieg

cable TV wiring

I had to have Comcast come out and rewire half of the factory cable wiring in order to get my TV's working. They found 4 splitters just in the front half of the trailer. I just purchased a 2018 Avalanche 395BH....The cable wiring was so bad that I couldn't get enough signal to any TV in the trailer. Keystone, please take the time to correctly wire the cable system in your 5th wheels....Do your customer a favor and give them what they paid for....PLEASE
davedebbieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #83
trooper253

I had trouble with the TV in my outside kitchen on my 361TG. I emailed Keystone to see if they could tell me the location of the splitter. They emailed back that you could not run cable to that TV. I finally found that there is a splitter behind each TV that send the signal to the next TV in line. The lines on each was loose and the signal got better throughout the camper. I had trouble getting to the one in the rear bedroom that went to the outside kitchen. I am going to try it again now that I have the camper home and have more tools to try and get better access to it.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:51 AM   #84
davedebbieg

Cable TV Wiring

I found 1 splitter behind one of the TV jacks. The comcast tech found 3 more in the front storage bay...That's rediculous..... I had a +6db going into the trailer and a -16db at the 2nd TV....
davedebbieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:47 AM   #85
NorskeBob

Had an issue with one of our MCD shades - found a similar item on the net. I pulled on one of the shades, heard a "pop", and the shade unraveled toward the floor. The shade would no longer retract. Will take it down to see if I have the same issue as described below.

Found this on the "net":
Thinking the tension spring broke inside the shade mechanism, I called MCD shade and spoke with "Bill". Bill had me take the shade apart. To my surprise the spring was intact. He then had me focus on a small black wheel that has a couple tabs on it. These tabs were supposed to be approximately 1/16" in height, but I could barely feel them with my finger. These tabs are supposed to keep tension on the spring. Bill told me movement from the motorhome, along with the tension of the spring, can cause this black piece to unwind. When the black piece unwinds, the force will cause the black tabs to shave off inside the shade mechanism and no longer hold tension on the spring.

After ordering the replacement parts, Bill told me a temporary fix was to take a soldering iron and burn several indents on the black piece. These indents will raise the plastic enough to hold the black piece in place and keep tension on the spring. Although skeptical, I tried this and it did work. The shade is in place while the replacement parts are being shipped to me.

Just something to think about should you run into the same problem?

Old 07-19-2017, 10:35 AM   #86
John&Genny

Genny and I came to the conclusion that the MCD shades are just poor quality and we plan on having them replaced sometime next year. The smaller shades seem to be OK, but the springs on the larger shades just don't seem to have enough tension for them to retract properly. I know the tension can be adjusted, but I'm not sure how to remove the shades to make the tension adjustment. And even then, I'm not sure it would make that much difference.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:29 PM   #87
NorskeBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
Genny and I came to the conclusion that the MCD shades are just poor quality and we plan on having them replaced sometime next year. The smaller shades seem to be OK, but the springs on the larger shades just don't seem to have enough tension for them to retract properly. I know the tension can be adjusted, but I'm not sure how to remove the shades to make the tension adjustment. And even then, I'm not sure it would make that much difference.
Sent an e-mail to my contact in MCD, Lori Wright, this morning and the technician, Mike West, already got back to me. Mike gave me an option of a new shade or new end pieces. I chose new end pieces because it will be quicker to resolve the issue and may help in the future. The new end pieces are made of metal instead of plastic. Mike put the new end pieces in the mail today. I chose to deal with this myself instead of going through the RV dealer - much quicker response. I am still waiting for a new shade of the correct color from the RV dealer. Mike indicated that if I continue to have issues that I should give him a call and he will send replacement parts as needed. Mike also indicated that the issue occurs with the longer shades. We have 8 MCD shades in our fifth wheel. Three of them are of the longer style.

Below are pictures of the end piece and the manufactures sticker that is on the support bar for the shade. Note that the "SB" number on the third line is the color of the shade - SB50.

When I receive the pieces I'll update the posting. I describe how I installed the end pieces and how I adjusted the spring tension and auto stop (may not need to adjust them).

MCD contacts:
Lori Wright
Customer Service
Airxcel, Inc. – MCD Innovations
3303 N. McDonald St.
McKinney, TX 75071
Office: 972.548.1850
Fax: 972.542.4881

Mike West
Technical Support
Airxcel, Inc. – MCD Innovations
3303 N. McDonald St.
McKinney, TX 75071
Office: 972.548.1850
Fax: 972.542.4881
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0299 - Copy - Copy.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	13417   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0293 - Copy - Copy.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	13418   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0298 - Copy - Copy.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	13419  

Old 07-20-2017, 05:48 AM   #88
John&Genny

Thanks NorskeBob for the contact information. I'll give Lori a call sometime this week and see about getting the new end pieces for our shades as well. At least they are aware of the problems and actively trying to solve the issues with the longer shades.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:58 AM   #89
NorskeBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
Thanks NorskeBob for the contact information. I'll give Lori a call sometime this week and see about getting the new end pieces for our shades as well. At least they are aware of the problems and actively trying to solve the issues with the longer shades.
I asked Mike about additional end pieces - he indicated that they will be replaced as they fail. If another one goes I'll push the issue a little harder.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:23 AM   #90
m&m

This will be first time posting about issues while we begin our 4K trip.
2 days before final inspection begins. Decided to even wash our vacation home on wheels. Problem 1 began when we went into turn on the frige. "no ac". Since still under warranty we call our dealership 2hr away. Within 2 min tech on line talking to me to run thru what I need to do. Step by step. I thank him and continued the procedure trying to find the 3amp fuse (paper showing 3amp fuse on bar). Looked in all the places he said. Hrs later no luck,took a break. Just used gas as had to leave in AM. Long story short there is no 3amp fuse. The wiring is tied into the gfi outlet.
When washing rig got water into black covers and unit shut down. Lesson learned.
New wiring program not shown on wiring diagram. Called tech back. He was surprised and very grateful, had us good laugh.
Yes I have a great customer service dealership.
m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:29 AM   #91
m&m

trying to catch up to our destination resort. Normally this rig rides smooth and nothing moves in the unit. This day however due to extremely bad road conditions on I10 from Roberts,La to Willis ,Tx many items in the rig were on the floor. A couple of cabinet doors were open. Speed limit 70 I was down to55 and yet we had a mess.Will not go back that way through construction zones.
I10 entering Tx was the worst and most dangerous I'd been through in a long long time. Just glad we check before opening slides.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:37 AM   #92
NorskeBob

Looks like the seal is going on the dinette/chair slide on our RV. I noted it after returning from a camping trip - saw the fluid on the driveway. Will be talking to the dealer next week.
The fluid on the piston is after extending the slide.
Anyone have a seal fail before?

update 7/25:
Have contacted Keystone, Lippert (LCI) and the dealer. Awaiting and answer from the three.

LCI initial response is opening a case#:
Thank you for contacting Lippert Components Customer Service Team. Case #1521296 has been created in response to your submission.

I did watch the piston as the slide goes in and out and there is forward and rearward movement, about ½” or so, of the piston housing as the slide goes in and out. I do not know if this is common.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0307 - Copy.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	13426   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0308 - Copy.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	13427  

Old 07-22-2017, 08:57 AM   #93
Thundershorts

I have only had minor issues with my trailer so far. Dealership has been great at getting the unit in to do the repairs. I still have one issue not resolved yet, no TV reception. DW and I are leaving for Branson MO in just over a week, so we will see if that issue gets corrected. The propane line I installed that runs over to the hydraulic/battery compartment works great.
Thundershorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:40 AM   #94
NorskeBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorskeBob View Post
I asked Mike about additional end pieces - he indicated that they will be replaced as they fail. If another one goes I'll push the issue a little harder.
Parts came in the mail today: One on the left - gray color sets the auto stop; and the one on the right - black color adjusts the spring. Will install tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0314 - Copy.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	13429   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0316 - Copy.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	13430  

Old 07-22-2017, 06:39 PM   #95
m&m

An update to an adventure of a lifetime. Very strange driving on the state roads in Tx. Not used to 75mph on back roads, which are better than the interstate. We drive about 62. On arrival at the RV park in Glen Rose,Tx thought I would set up about 3:30pm ct. Make this short. The Hydraulic system main pressure hose ruptured. Fluid everywhere. The jacks deployed and unit level. 1 slide out and the other 3 slides partially deployed. System shut down. Called Keystone which left me to fix the problem. Nearest dealer was about an hr away, it was up to them. Their reply was we don't service that area.
Fortunate for me my friend who I hosted at the park this week is co-owner of a hydraulic repair co. He is also a Montana owner. He made 1 call to his office and 15 min later we were on our way to a repair facility with the hose. About an hour later the other slides deployed and DW happy. Lesson learned.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:51 PM   #96
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m View Post
An update to an adventure of a lifetime. Very strange driving on the state roads in Tx. Not used to 75mph on back roads, which are better than the interstate. We drive about 62. On arrival at the RV park in Glen Rose,Tx thought I would set up about 3:30pm ct. Make this short. The Hydraulic system main pressure hose ruptured. Fluid everywhere. The jacks deployed and unit level. 1 slide out and the other 3 slides partially deployed. System shut down. Called Keystone which left me to fix the problem. Nearest dealer was about an hr away, it was up to them. Their reply was we don't service that area.
Fortunate for me my friend who I hosted at the park this week is co-owner of a hydraulic repair co. He is also a Montana owner. He made 1 call to his office and 15 min later we were on our way to a repair facility with the hose. About an hour later the other slides deployed and DW happy. Lesson learned.

You need to buy a lottery ticket! Buy 1 for me too. No one else ever had that repair done so quickly and easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:56 AM   #97
m&m

good friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
You need to buy a lottery ticket! Buy 1 for me too. No one else ever had that repair done so quickly and easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My friend provides to all/any co wanting hydraulic repairs. His customer service dept. is outstanding. The coast for the hose,fluid and gas less than $50.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:05 AM   #98
m&m

The lottery ticket is a great idea. Another update.
The question about ac units in the rig. They are NOT sufficient for the Tx. heat in the summer. Good up to about noon. Recover and start cooling down after sun goes down. Temps. 98-107.
Temp was hot enough to melt / break fitting for sewer hose. very lucky I check before I open valve.
Leaving today for Dallas.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:18 AM   #99
NorskeBob

Quote:
Parts came in the mail today: One on the left - gray color sets the auto stop; and the one on the right - black color adjusts the spring. Will install tomorrow.
Installed the new end pieces today. I was able to adjust the spring tension but do not have the upper stop set properly yet. I took one of the old end pieces apart , the one that adjusts the spring tension, and the plastic internal gears all looked right - no teeth missing off the gears.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:50 AM   #100
John&Genny

Quote:
Looks like the seal is going on the dinette/chair slide on our RV. I noted it after returning from a camping trip - saw the fluid on the driveway. Will be talking to the dealer next week.
The fluid on the piston is after extending the slide.
Anyone have a seal fail before?
Sorry to hear about the slideout seal NorskeBob. I'll give mine a lookover today and make sure ours is looking OK.