Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #1
5mary6

Front cap

So with 25 days left on our dealer warranty, I took the 5er in for some issues I was having (Control Panel, shower door, moulding coming apart, etc) I pointed out that the front cap was also fading however I had read on this website that Keystone was not fixing the fading/oxidizing front caps under warranty and sayibng it was cosmetic. My dealer asked me if I wanted them to submit it to Keystone. Of course it was worth a try right? I received the call today that Keystone granted my dealer's request for a new paint job on the front cap!!1 Yahoo. Just thought I would pass it along!

PullRite Superglide 16k
Revolution kites

Previous RV

2012 MVP Sonoma SE 23bh
5mary6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

3 cheers for Keystone and for your dealer for supporting your claim. A positive outcome for all
Old 02-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm not sure where you've been reading that Keystone isn't paying to repaint front caps. That was the policy a couple of years ago, but for the past year or longer, almost everyone within warranty who has fading problems has been approved for repainting. Anyway, it's good to hear that your issues are being taken care of. Just think, you'll have an "almost new" RV in just a couple of weeks, just in time for the camping season !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
Beerdude41867

Glad for you. Today my fading claim was denied!
Old 02-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Beerdude,

Any particulars on what happened?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #6
5mary6

Yes, that is what I was talking about..The claim is denied all the time on this site. Hopefully it works out for you

PullRite Superglide 16k
Revolution kites

Previous RV

2012 MVP Sonoma SE 23bh
Old 02-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
5mary6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm not sure where you've been reading that Keystone isn't paying to repaint front caps. That was the policy a couple of years ago, but for the past year or longer, almost everyone within warranty who has fading problems has been approved for repainting. Anyway, it's good to hear that your issues are being taken care of. Just think, you'll have an "almost new" RV in just a couple of weeks, just in time for the camping season !!!
Well I have read it on this site that they were being denied. Just like the post after mine was denied just today. In regards to your comment about just in time for "the camping season"...sorry but I live in CA and we don't have seasons here. It's year round camping. Sierras in the summer and the coast in the winter, which is the summer season. 75 degrees on the ocean in DECEMBER...Love it!

PullRite Superglide 16k
Revolution kites

Previous RV

2012 MVP Sonoma SE 23bh
Old 02-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

I've seen a number of denials in the past. However in the last 18 months or so, the number of denials has been nearly nil. In that time, it seems the vast majority have been approved if within the warranty period. I'm hoping that the poster you refer to "today" will give us some of the circumstances regarding the denial. That does not seem to be the "norm" based on your report of approval and the number of others who have had their endcaps painted in the past year or more.

As for camping year round, when we lived in Lancaster, we also were "going 12 months a year" but that's not the situation with the vast majority of the country. If you'd prefer that I 'rephrase" my comment to something like, "just in time to CONTINUE the camping season." I'd be happy to edit my post so you're satisfied.....

ADDED: after reading some other threads that were posted today, it appears that the denial referred to by 5mary6 that was reported by beerdude41867 was not a "denial" of the repair, but a refusal by the dealer to accept the amount Keystone has authorized to complete the repair. With the other similar repairs that have been and are being completed, hopefully the dealership and Keystone will come to an agreement on the cost of repairs.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-06-2014, 08:49 PM   #9
Jim7411

The Fifth Wheel gods are surely smiling upon you. Consider it a belated Christmas present from Keystone.
Jim7411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:14 PM   #10
5mary6

Love it! Funny

PullRite Superglide 16k
Revolution kites

Previous RV

2012 MVP Sonoma SE 23bh
Old 02-07-2014, 06:41 AM   #11
canesfan

So I searched and didn't find anything helpful, what is the fading issue? I know Heartland had fading issues a couple years ago with their grey filon, I have a new Raptor with the light grey sidewallls and black cap. Should I be concerned?
Old 02-07-2014, 07:50 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
So I searched and didn't find anything helpful, what is the fading issue? I know Heartland had fading issues a couple years ago with their grey filon, I have a new Raptor with the light grey sidewallls and black cap. Should I be concerned?
You can add "fading issues" to the "concerned" list or to the "be aware of" list. That's a matter of how you look at the potential problem.

It really depends on how you view things like "china bomb tires", "too small axles", "potential roof leaks", "filon separation", "loose plumbing fittings", "uncomfortable mattresses", "polar package deficiencies", "weak rear bumpers", "wiring problems", "leaking slides", "loosening lug nuts", 'smelly furnaces", "and the list goes on and on........

Where do you stack "fading" in the list with all that can happen?

With the list of "things that can go wrong" being so long, maybe the options should be: Don't buy an RV, or: leave it parked in the yard so it won't break.....

I'd say, "to heck with all of that", drag the darned thing someplace fun and enjoy it. If something goes wrong, "be concerned" when it happens, but life's too short to start stacking the deck against being satisfied from the beginning.

Out of the tens of thousands built every year from all manufacturers, the number of RV's with "fading problems" is small enough not to focus on checking it daily. Go out and enjoy, leave the fading for another day.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #13
canesfan

Umm, wow, sorry for the question. I really meant it as to whether it is specific to a particular model line, color (white, grey, black), etc, as if I should be watching out for it (concerned) in my case, or not so much because it doesn't relate to what I have.

I'm well aware of all the "concerns" associated with owning an RV, I've had my share over the last 20 years or so. But I thought the purpose of the forum was to ask questions with the hope of getting helpful answers when you couldn't find them on your own. Sorry to bother the forum with such a stupid question.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:37 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
Umm, wow, sorry for the question. I really meant it as to whether it is specific to a particular model line, color (white, grey, black), etc, as if I should be watching out for it (concerned) in my case, or not so much because it doesn't relate to what I have.

I'm well aware of all the "concerns" associated with owning an RV, I've had my share over the last 20 years or so. But I thought the purpose of the forum was to ask questions with the hope of getting helpful answers when you couldn't find them on your own. Sorry to bother the forum with such a stupid question.
Asking questions and getting helpful answers is a part of the forum activity. Using the search feature to find answers is also a wonderful way to gain knowledge about what to be "concerned" over. Doing three simple searches produced these results:

1. "faded" produced 44 results
2. "fading" produced 46 results
3. "fading paint" produced 13 results

The answer to your "concern" is contained in multiple threads already posted. After reading them, if there's another concern that's not addressed, then by all means ask that question. But to be "generic" and "mush the same "mash" over and over doesn't make anything "new appear". Your answers are already available in multiple places on the forum.

No, it's not a "bother with a stupid question" but when the answer is already posted in such a large number of places, it's beneficial to "help yourself to the available information"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #15
Beerdude41867

Hey sorry for the late reply! My claim was not denied based on the amount of the estimate from the dealer, but it was determined by Keystone that it is not a manufacturing defect, and instead is a maintanence issue. Maintainance issue my a--! I explained to them that I spent a lot of money on this rig, and didn't want it looking bad. So to fend off the fading, I've had to wax it every four weeks or so. In that time I've tried multiple products to try to keep it shiney. My thought was I would rather find a product that worked than have it in the shop to be repainted. Well, right before my warranty was up, I had had enough of waxing it so often, so I made a claim. When the pictures were taken it was starting to dull again, and I had just waxed it two weeks prior. The dealer clearly saw it and noted it in the claim. When I got the news that Keystone had denied the claim I called customer service to verify the denial and inquire as to the reason. They said it didn't look that bad and I should wax it more. I explained to them my maintenance schedule on the finish. The customer service rep. Said she was very sorry for my situation. I then asked to speak with a supervisor. I was told only dealers could speak with supervisors. I just wanted to make it crystal clear to someone in charge that I have been busting my butt trying to keep this thing up. I guess I should have let the finish go and look like a twenty year old trailer. Live and learn. Brand new trailer and I'm probably going to have to go the Poli-glow route. Junk!
Old 02-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #16
SmittysRV

The front of my 2012 Raptor 4014 is fading a tad. What is the warranty period we are talking about here, the first year manufactures or the extended period that kicks in after that? They also offer that "so called" exterior protection, does that apply here?
SmittysRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Smitty,

Keystone only offers a 1 year warranty. In the owner's manual, it states that any warranty offered other than the 1 year warranty is not approved by Keystone and is they are not responsible for any promises, stated, implied or in writing after the 1 year warranty expires.

Anything you have other than that is an extra pay "insurance policy" that covers certain failures of certain components. I haven't seen any extended service contracts that cover cosmetic conditions. As for the "extended fabric and fiberglass" protection. There are a number of dealerships that offer "high priced" packages from "service package" to "appearance package" to "Extended service contract." what is covered by each is included in the information packet that came with the package when it was purchased. What is included with one is usually significantly different than what is covered in another.

The only "likely coverage" with an appearance package is that they will cover the cost of reapplying the protection should it fail. In other words, you repair it and they will wax it for you. With service contracts, I haven't seen any that include cosmetic damage in the limited list of what they will repair (after you pay your deductible).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-13-2014, 10:36 PM   #18
5mary6

That sucks. I was lucky on my claim, no questions asked and they said they were repainting it. Sorry for your loss brother

PullRite Superglide 16k
Revolution kites

Previous RV

2012 MVP Sonoma SE 23bh
Old 03-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #19
SmittysRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Smitty,

Keystone only offers a 1 year warranty. In the owner's manual, it states that any warranty offered other than the 1 year warranty is not approved by Keystone and is they are not responsible for any promises, stated, implied or in writing after the 1 year warranty expires.

Anything you have other than that is an extra pay "insurance policy" that covers certain failures of certain components. I haven't seen any extended service contracts that cover cosmetic conditions. As for the "extended fabric and fiberglass" protection. There are a number of dealerships that offer "high priced" packages from "service package" to "appearance package" to "Extended service contract." what is covered by each is included in the information packet that came with the package when it was purchased. What is included with one is usually significantly different than what is covered in another.

The only "likely coverage" with an appearance package is that they will cover the cost of reapplying the protection should it fail. In other words, you repair it and they will wax it for you. With service contracts, I haven't seen any that include cosmetic damage in the limited list of what they will repair (after you pay your deductible).
Good to know, guess Im on my own now that we are past the one year mark..SUX
SmittysRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #20
Yosemitebob

I got my cap repainted within two months after picking it up as I complained when we got it about the paint. The only thing I had them not do is replace the stick on goods, just paint looks great.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote