Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2018, 05:54 PM   #1
chartrand

Help Rotating Toilet

My toilet is turned a little too far and so it's easier to go by leaving the bathroom door open or sitting a little sideways on the throne. Otherwise, your knees are up against the bathroom door.

I want to rotate the toilet a few degrees counter-clockwise. So I removed the toilet and then removed all the screws from the flange. But it seems the pipe is glued into the actual tank, and I'm unable to budget it. Any thoughts on how I could break it free without breaking the black tank?

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:58 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Had that dilemma (I think) years ago. I think you can take like a Dremel or similar tool with a round cutoff blade, cut around the inside of the sewer drain, remove it and replace with a new section that you can put the flange on...if that makes sense. You will need to reseal/glue the new section.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:06 AM   #3
Dave W

While I haven't had to remove that toilet flange on an RV did have to do it in the house. Using that Dremel or, better yet, a 1/4" chuck capacity die grinder, cut the top off then make one cut down the side of the fitting. By doing that, you may be able to break the rest free and slip the stub off easily with a screw driver as that cement will often break loose. Your replacement will need to be a black ABS or RV type fitting as you already have on your RV. It will need a dedicated ABS cement. A note on that cement - the combo PVC/ABS cement just isn't very good and may break loose due to driving vibrations.

Good luck and let us know how you make out with the project
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:41 AM   #4
buvens

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrand View Post
My toilet is turned a little too far and so it's easier to go by leaving the bathroom door open or sitting a little sideways on the throne. Otherwise, your knees are up against the bathroom door.

I want to rotate the toilet a few degrees counter-clockwise. So I removed the toilet and then removed all the screws from the flange. But it seems the pipe is glued into the actual tank, and I'm unable to budget it. Any thoughts on how I could break it free without breaking the black tank?
I had to turn mine about 45 degrees.
Just took of the toilet and used a dremel to cut new holes on the flange for the two bolts that hold the toilet down. Used new gasket and it is working fine.

Obviously the people that build these things never use them.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:12 AM   #5
jsmith948

Here you go NOTANLINES- another business opportunity - develop a swivel mount for the toilet and maybe add a rocker recliner option?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:31 AM   #6
gregrc75

I rotated my toilet a few degrees in a previous camper. I removed the toilet and the bolts to the floor. Then, I took a flat screw driver and hammer and gently tapped the flange and it began to rotate. When it was in the position I wanted, I put the bolts back in and reinstalled the toilet.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:59 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Here you go NOTANLINES- another business opportunity - develop a swivel mount for the toilet and maybe add a rocker recliner option?

^^^^there you go!! I'm in....I think? Reckon you could work on a power recline option.....?
Old 03-13-2018, 05:44 PM   #8
chartrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrc75 View Post
I rotated my toilet a few degrees in a previous camper. I removed the toilet and the bolts to the floor. Then, I took a flat screw driver and hammer and gently tapped the flange and it began to rotate. When it was in the position I wanted, I put the bolts back in and reinstalled the toilet.

I tried that, banged on it pretty hard, all to no avail, the glue is holding strong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Propride P3 Hitch
Old 03-13-2018, 05:51 PM   #9
chartrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by buvens View Post
I had to turn mine about 45 degrees.

Just took of the toilet and used a dremel to cut new holes on the flange for the two bolts that hold the toilet down. Used new gasket and it is working fine.

Obviously the people that build these things never use them.

I think it’s time I invest in a dremel tool. I think I’ll try this before resorting to cutting off the flange.

Propride P3 Hitch
Old 03-13-2018, 06:07 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrand View Post
I think it’s time I invest in a dremel tool. I think I’ll try this before resorting to cutting off the flange.

WHAT!! No Dremel? You have to have one IMO. I've got 4 and almost bought another one here in FL for use in my daughter's house......get one....you NEED it!!
Old 03-13-2018, 07:01 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Yup, a Dremel is a vital accessory for almost anyone. And, it'll pay for itself if you can hold your kids down and learn basic dental skills.... Needle nose pliers and a Dremel and you can do most anything the dentist does for a lot less money.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:30 AM   #12
Dave W

Heck, even my DW has a rechargeable version Dremel to shorten our two pup toenails. I still prefer a 1/4" die grinder and have several, both air and electric powered though my 1/8" Dremel does get plenty of use
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet