Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2014, 11:23 AM   #21
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linwoodrver View Post
Luckily I haven't had a poonami, however, this may help some of you. I have a 2012 Cougar31sqb. It has the black tank flush and my first time camping this year I connected the hose and started the flushing ( after black and grey tanks had already been drained). Next thing you know, there is water draining out from under my bathroom door and quickly thereafter, my main door!! The atmospheric/check valve is malfunctioning and water just pours out of it as fast as it comes in. There are other posts on this problem, just search black water check valve.
If you weren't using a water pressure regulator, would a regulator have helped prevent this?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

FACTS (and fiction)

FACT: The trailer water system is rated to withstand 60 PSI.

FACT: The black tank check valve (anti-siphon valve) is made of plastic.

FACT: The black tank check valve is rated to withstand 60 PSI.

FACT: Many people have had issues with the black tank check valve "self destructing".

FACT: A pressure regulator set at 45 PSI or 50 PSI "SHOULD" protect the trailer water system (and thusly, the black tank check valve.

FICTION: Since "SHOULD" in the previous "FACT" is presumptive, we can assume that the black tank check valve will not "self destruct" at 45 PSI.

FACT: I trust my black tank check valve so much that I cringe every time I turn the water on to use it (with a regulator).

FACT: My list of modifications includes replacing that plastic valve with a brass valve as soon as I remember to get one from Lowe's.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #23
bsmith0404

Story is similar to others. We were setting up camp, I had my gloves on, pulled the sewer slinky out and was getting ready to connect. Before I pulled the cap I noticed the dump valve appeared to be sticking out further than usual. I immediately knew what was going on. I had dumped and rinsed after the last use. I also put about 15 gallons in with some downy to wash the tank as we traveled. I KNOW I closed the valve because the cap is always the last thing I install prior to pulling away from the site. I figure out later that there was a good prankster at the RV storage lot. An inspection upon returning the camper revealed several RVs with black tank valves pulled. Anyway, I shut the valve to keep as much as I could in the tank. I know that I have as much as 15 gallons of "rinse" water sitting in the line.

I figure I can try to catch as much as I can with a 5 gallon bucket while I attempt to connect the hose. I get my son to hold the bucket after much debating. I pull the cap and it starts flowing. My wonderful son gets hit with the initial wave and abandons his post. I was not successful getting the hose connected. The drain pipe probably contained 3-4 gallons which dumped on the ground. Because I had flushed everything well there weren't any oh henry's, just tinted and very smelly water. It quickly soaked into the ground so nothing to clean up. I ran a bunch of water on the area to dilute it as best as possible, but the smell lasted 3-4 days. Luckily the site next to us was empty so we were the only ones to deal with the smell.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Brent,

Your experience is exactly why I now use a sewer cap with a garden hose attachment port. It's much easier to "control the flow" through a 3/4" hole than through a 3" hole. I've had a number of times through the years that I've either forgotten to close a tank valve (usually the kitchen gray tank) or, like you, have one mysteriously open by itself.... At any rate, having that smaller hole makes hitting a bucket a lot easier when pressed for answers. And, with the cap screwed onto the sewer cap, functionally they are the same. Having it in place sure has saved me more than once.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-15-2014, 05:22 PM   #25
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Brent,

Your experience is exactly why I now use a sewer cap with a garden hose attachment port. It's much easier to "control the flow" through a 3/4" hole than through a 3" hole. I've had a number of times through the years that I've either forgotten to close a tank valve (usually the kitchen gray tank) or, like you, have one mysteriously open by itself.... At any rate, having that smaller hole makes hitting a bucket a lot easier when pressed for answers. And, with the cap screwed onto the sewer cap, functionally they are the same. Having it in place sure has saved me more than once.
Yeah, I keep planning to get one, but always forget. I guess it'll take one more episode on this thread before I remember or make a special trip just for the cap.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Like my brass anti-siphon valve. It's only a matter of time until I'm wiping up water, I know it's going to happen yet I walk right past them in Lowe's... One of these days I'll remember, till then, every time I connect the hose to the black tank flush I cross my fingers that it won't happen "this time" LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #27
jtyphoid

Quote:
Brent,

If you have enough ground clearance at the end of the pipe, a twist-on 3" gate valve will work even better because no bucket is needed.

Installation is simple. Just put it on in place of the cap and put the cap on the other side of the it.

I picked one up as a stop gap until I had time to fix a leaky black tank gate valve and left it on after the fix.

It has come in handy several times.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:51 AM   #28
TDF5G

Quote:
FACTS (and fiction)
FACT: I trust my black tank check valve so much that I cringe every time I turn the water on to use it (with a regulator).
I can relate to that. I use the pressure regulator on it now, but I always take a peek under the bathroom sink to make sure!
Old 09-23-2014, 09:18 AM   #29
SkiSmuggs

Quote:
Like my brass anti-siphon valve. It's only a matter of time until I'm wiping up water, I know it's going to happen yet I walk right past them in Lowe's... One of these days I'll remember, till then, every time I connect the hose to the black tank flush I cross my fingers that it won't happen "this time" LOL
Where is the black tank check valve located?
Old 09-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
Where is the black tank check valve located?
On mine the anti-siphon valve is located under the bathroom sink. There are four 1/2" PEX pipes, one is blue (cold water to sink) one is red (hot water to sink) and two are white. The white ones are a direct connection to the outside black tank flush port and the other goes directly to the black tank spray nozzle. The anti-siphon valve is a black plastic valve and is "fragile" at best and "downright waiting to break" at worst. I simply don't trust it and there are reports scattered all over this forum from people who have flooded their bathroom when the valve "let loose". It's clean water going to the black tank, but still it's water, it's wet and it makes a mess that has to be cleaned up immediately to prevent water damage.

On some models the valve is located in the wall behind the shower or in the basement behind a panel, but usually it's under the sink.

Here's a picture of the "typical installation" and of the valve:
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #31
SkiSmuggs

You, sir, are a wealth of helpful information!
Old 09-25-2014, 10:49 PM   #32
jd0706

another Poonami incident

Being a new TT owners my wife and I by our 5th or 6th trip out were feeling like we were getting in the groove of setting up and breaking down camp, we each had our responsibilities and it all worked great. Until one trip on a particularly rotten day of breaking down in a downpour that wouldnt let up, working as a team we had everything ready to leave the campsite, awning in, anteanna down, rugs folded up, chairs put away, etc. last step was I was going to pull slowly off the 4 foot long deck board I had on the ground to level the trailer and she would pick it up put in in the back of the truck and we are off! Not so much as I slowly went forward and the front wheel came off the board it kicked up and lodged itself against the 3" pipe coming out of the black tank, with it raining out so hard I had the truck windows up and could not hear my wife yelling STOP!!! To late the board was wedged between the ground and pipe fully dislodging the pipe from the tank and I forgot to mention this was not a full hook up site so the tank was FULL!!! all 30 gallons on the ground! A day in camping history I would love to forget!!
Old 09-26-2014, 06:50 AM   #33
Desert185

Quote:
with it raining out so hard I had the truck windows up and could not hear my wife yelling STOP!!!
Walkie-talkies...
Old 09-26-2014, 07:13 AM   #34
Keywestparrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyphoid View Post
If you have enough ground clearance at the end of the pipe, a twist-on 3" gate valve will work even better because no bucket is needed.

Installation is simple. Just put it on in place of the cap and put the cap on the other side of the it.

I picked one up as a stop gap until I had time to fix a leaky black tank gate valve and left it on after the fix.

It has come in handy several times.
Agreed. Best $50 (installed) I have spent on the camper so far :-) Mine was permanently attached however.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (11).jpg
Views:	166
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	7111  

2015 Ford F450 KR CC
2010 Montana 3750FL
------------------------
Previous addictions...
2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
2008 CC Silverback 32LFGBS TT
2004 Coleman/Fleetwood PU
Keywestparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:31 PM   #35
CrazyCain

not quiet a dump but..!!!!!

SO i used my honey dip wagon to dump most of the waste tank, took it to the station and dumped it, no problem... Later the the next day, after a full day of 90 degree temps, i got back to the trailer, went to flush the toilet...when i stepped on the pedal to open the valve to dump #1, there way a big POP and the blast of festering nasty waste air came blasting up the camode and swooshed into my face....HOLY Tank AIR batman....looks like some one forgot to put a couple of Toilet waste disolving bags into the tank after dumping it yesterday... won't be making that mistake ag (cough cough)ain!!!!!!!!!

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #36
notanlines

We have been RVing for many years and have not ever used a black tank chemical. I might add a smell has never come out of the bottom of the commode. Nor has any odor ever been found in the area of the interior. If your vent to the roof of your RV is not plugged explain to me how a blast of your black tank came up through the commode.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #37
BullyJiggz

As a newbie, I would like to thank all of you for these stories. Very educational. I cant say they are funny, more like horrifying. I just pray I never miss a step.
BullyJiggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:09 PM   #38
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
We have been RVing for many years and have not ever used a black tank chemical. I might add a smell has never come out of the bottom of the commode. Nor has any odor ever been found in the area of the interior. If your vent to the roof of your RV is not plugged explain to me how a blast of your black tank came up through the commode.
Me too. Always used chemicals though. Only time I've had "blow back" was when I was doing a PDI on a new unit. Running rinser and as usual tried to wait til 2/3 to finish with toilet. Gauge never went past 1/3 and I thought things were a bit fishy. Turned off the water and when I stepped on the toilet pedal got blasted!! Thank goodness clean water, turned out the vent tube went too far in and probe wasn't hooked up.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:26 AM   #39
Desert185

My son used to drain "blue room" poo from airplanes. Now he flies them. Literally, ground up experience.

Everytime I service our trailer lav I am reminded of the 12 hour, packed, Lufthansa 707 ride from Frankfurt to LAX I took in the 70's. The aft lavs were literally overflowing the last few hours of the flight.

Whatever one encounters during a trip to the dump station, the experience is justified by not having to use the campground toilets.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:26 AM   #40
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post

WELL it did and the roof vent is NOT plugged, so you tell me sir!!! End of story!

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote