Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2018, 03:13 PM   #21
notanlines

DJ, I didn't understand the comment either. Life goes on. I believe you have received a minimum of two good pieces of advice on this forum. Don't admit to anything is number one, and seek a little legal advice is number two. I might also add that the "nice guy" thing only goes so far. You'll catch a large number of flies with honey, but the killing will be done with a swatter. Be reasonable, but be firm. Don't back down. If it is said that the floor is rotted out because of the seam at the roof then I want to see the route the water took and the rot involved on that route.
Luck to you, my friend.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:29 AM   #22
thatdjguy

So this has been heavy on my mind now for a few days. Looking forward--if the trailer is considered lost and the insurance doesn't step up, is the removal of the flooring something that is pretty straight forward? I know it's costly for the dealership--but is it as simple as taking out all the furniture and than removing the floor? Is it worth the effort to try?
thatdjguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:06 PM   #23
mskeyspirate

Not sure if I just skipped over the facts or not. Probably....I'll reread to make sure. But, I have a 2015 Passport that I just had to replace the front cap due to my missing a spot when it came to sealing. That little mistake cost me just short of $2000.00. Not sure of the year of your camper, but if it were me, I'd pick a dollar amount, stick to it, and scrap it, if it goes over that amount. When you get done with all the repairs, it's only going to be worth what it's worth. There comes a point when throwing money at it, doesn't make sense.
mskeyspirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:40 PM   #24
travelin texans

Angry

[QUOTE=thatdjguy;282202]So this has been heavy on my mind now for a few days. Looking forward--if the trailer is considered lost and the insurance doesn't step up, is the removal of the flooring something that is pretty straight forward? I know it's costly for the dealership--but is it as simple as taking out all the furniture and than removing the floor? Is it worth the effort to try?[/Q]

Replacing the floor would be a LOT of work & expense!
When they build these things the frame comes in upside down where the holding tanks, wiring, axles & underbelly are installed, frame flipped over & the floor with ALL the flooring (vinyl, carpet, etc) is laid, then EVERYTHING else is built up from there, cabinet, islands, interior/exterior walls all set on the floor.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:17 AM   #25
tundrwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdjguy View Post
So this has been heavy on my mind now for a few days. Looking forward--if the trailer is considered lost and the insurance doesn't step up, is the removal of the flooring something that is pretty straight forward? I know it's costly for the dealership--but is it as simple as taking out all the furniture and than removing the floor? Is it worth the effort to try?
I'd check a few YouTube videos where people have done that. Both repair and restoration. It'd give you an idea of what's involved. Not sure about the laminating idea though - usually dry rot just continues on until you get rid of the affected wood and treat it. So it may "infect" the new wood too over time.

Dry rot is caused by a fungus - so until you get rid of it - it just keeps going. If it's just water damage that's delaminated the wood, or caused the OSB to separate - then that's a tad different. I've had dry rot in window sills on my house, and one common treatment to surrounding wood is to just brush on antifreeze (ethylene glycol). Kills the fungus and prevents it from growing back. And cheaper/easier than most other methods. Just don't leave around for animals/pets to lap up - it'll kill them, and since it has a sweet taste - they WANT to lap it up.
tundrwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:42 PM   #26
CaptnJohn

The pump and lines hold only so much water, unless you had water in the tank and left the pump run. Unlikely! I'd be more prone to believe water intrusion from the roof, a slide seal, or where something is attached. Water will travel a strange route at times and over a long distance.
Is your pump on floor level? Mine, all those I remember, have been below the floor ~~ 5ers!

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:53 PM   #27
thatdjguy

yes it is---right by the bedrooms nightstand.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:49 AM   #28
thatdjguy

just to revisit--she's goin' to the shop today. Fingers crossed
Old 05-22-2018, 04:21 AM   #29
notanlines

We all have our fingers crossed for you....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #30
thatdjguy

Been in the shop for a month...don't even have an estimate yet. Keep saying "their floor guy hasn't been out yet". Really frustrating. Did get a phone call today from the adjuster saying that all damage was caused by failure to maintain (seals on roof) and that my claim will not be covered. Only about a third of the floor is soft, however--so it's not the entire flooring of the unit. That said, I'm sure this will get expensive.

how something so big and massive can get away with being so delicate is beyond me. It's my fault, I own it--we bought the damn thing all giddy and happy to go camping without having a clue. They saw us comin' a mile away.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:34 PM   #31
cavediver

thatdjguy I'm another guy that neglected maintenance. I've been doing mine for the last three weeks. On the positive side I've learned a lot about how these things are put together. And how important maintenance is. That and a good dealer. Good luck with yours's. I just picked up a Premier Bullet 26RBPR. for my wife and I. I'll give the other one to my son when it's done.
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:13 PM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

Just for thought;

I'm in the middle, again, of cleaning slide seals, sealing roof seams, looking under/over/around literally everything that is in/on our trailer. Things peel off. They deteriorate, and I keep mine stored in a very nice covered/enclosed facility.

When many/most folks, this is my assumption, buy a trailer they think they just bought a trouble free, rolling house. It is SO different. The first few trailers I had I had very few issues but I only had them for a couple of years at most, and, they were not complicated like they are now.

The importance of maintenance, documented if you have an extended warranty policy, cannot be overstated. It seems like a real pain but, once you get used to it, I enjoy going to the trailer, giving it the once over, crawling around over and under it...it has to be done. And, I don't have all the play toys; Corvette, Z28, off road vehicles I used to have that required far more than the RV. Take care of it, watch over it and it will take care of you. JMO - YMMV
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:57 AM   #33
thatdjguy

Wanted to revisit this. Believe it or not, it's still in the shop. I called about a month ago furious as to why i haven't even received a phone call--they fumbled and said they hadn't heard back from my insurance company? I was pissed---they're not the client I brought it in--they never communicated.

They told me the floor was rotted but there's really nothing they can do because the entire subfloor is some sort of molded foam--he said "like in an igloo cooler"

said best bet was to take top vinyl up, spray with bleach, and put some sort of subfloor over it. BAsically, i wont fall through the floor given the structure underneath, but the stuff laying on top of that is def. rotted.

I just called today (4 months plus after bringing it in) and got more of the same. Nobody seems to know anything and I keep getting "uh, we're waiting on the decision for the floor"

I'm so beyond frustrated. I'm about to lay plywood down and call it done. F this dealer
Old 09-10-2018, 11:40 AM   #34
LuvsPalmTrees

I am so sorry this is happening to you. We all learn from our mistakes and you seem to have owned it. I had a lot of trouble with the dealership that we purchased ours from. We dropped it off early November and it was insurance work, it took them till May and a lot of threats to get it all done. Even the insurance company got all over them to get it done. A lot of excuses, when we picked it up the work looked like I did it. If I were you I would really think about it and if you can - go in person and talk to them. People can say a lot on the phone, but when you are face to face they tend to be more honest.
Good Luck and don't be to hard on yourself. Lesson learned.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

^^^ Totally agree !!!

At this point, I believe I'd head to the dealership, locate the service manager (NOT the service writer) and drag him to the general manager's office, close the door and tell them what you expect. Control the meeting agenda, don't allow them to appease you with BS and divert you away from the issue of their failure. Be reasonable, and lay out what you expect and give them a time line that will work for you. If they can't meet that, then take your trailer, find someone else to repair it and cut your losses. It's readily apparent that whomever has handled the repair from the time you delivered it for repair until present has failed COMPLETELY. If you allow them to keep failing you, it's your fault, not theirs. Change the general manager's involvement by holding him accountable. If he doesn't agree, find a new place to spend your money......

Fortunately for you, we're entering a time when RV repair is going into the winter lull. You know it, the dealer knows it. He's about to start laying people off until spring, so the more jobs he can acquire, the less "unemployment" he'll have to pay. If he wants your business, he definitely needs to earn it. If he doesn't, he should tell you he's not concerned and doesn't want the job so you can get it repaired elsewhere. Be sure he knows you won't be buying your next trailer from him under those circumstances....

You're the one with the "big wallet about to be emptied" so be sure that you spend your cash at a business that appreciates you and your money.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:33 PM   #36
Local150

I know a guy that had a 1 year old very nice TT. One fall they put it in a barn on their property that was no longer her used. In the spring they got it out and the mice had ate it up. The I insurance company called it as a total loss
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:39 PM   #37
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdjguy View Post
Wanted to revisit this. Believe it or not, it's still in the shop. I called about a month ago furious as to why i haven't even received a phone call--they fumbled and said they hadn't heard back from my insurance company? I was pissed---they're not the client I brought it in--they never communicated.

They told me the floor was rotted but there's really nothing they can do because the entire subfloor is some sort of molded foam--he said "like in an igloo cooler"

said best bet was to take top vinyl up, spray with bleach, and put some sort of subfloor over it. BAsically, i wont fall through the floor given the structure underneath, but the stuff laying on top of that is def. rotted.

I just called today (4 months plus after bringing it in) and got more of the same. Nobody seems to know anything and I keep getting "uh, we're waiting on the decision for the floor"

I'm so beyond frustrated. I'm about to lay plywood down and call it done. F this dealer

John is right. The time has come for YOU to own this conversation. It's also time for the GM/owner to own the problem. Do NOT let this issue be addressed by anyone other than the top guy. Service writers, and even the service manager, can tend to blow you off. Put it in the big guys lap.

If they are working with the insurance company you need to be involved in that. YOU pay the insurance company and they answer to you. Find out what's going on from them.

On my initial experiences (failures) with this trailer, I went directly to the dealership, found the owner/GM and we went to his office. I related all of my experiences, their failures, my frustrations and my expectations going forward....from him; not the service dept., not the SM or someone else...him. I got his office number, cell number and home number. I told him that I expected him to be involved EVERY day with my issue and I would call him ANYTIME on any day when I felt they were failing. All communication was to be with him and no one else. That went on for a few months until they hired a new service manager and I began working with him once I felt comfortable with him (he seemed competent). You have to take ownership and control of this problem because it is painfully apparent the dealership can't or won't. JMO, YMMV
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:14 AM   #38
SummitPond

Good advice from above ^^^ get the GM/owner involved. We had an issue that was not resolved until we talked with the GM. Amazing what can happen then! Good luck.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:47 PM   #39
LuvsPalmTrees

I might go one step further and type up a schedule and use it to keep yourself on task while you are talking to them. This will help you stay focused and they cannot BS you off task. Maybe give them a copy of what you expect. You can always refer to it when you call and check on it to make sure they are doing what you expect them to do. If they do not agree, go someplace else. Your money, your the boss.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:54 AM   #40
flybouy
Site Team

Totally agree on the statements above. Three years ago ours was broken into and $4,000 damages. This guy broke into over 50 campers in 3 storage lots and 2 dealerships, including the dealer where I purchased mine. Because of this I gave the dealer some leniency fully realizing they would prioritize repairing the 19 units they had that were vandalized. So that's the backstory.
When I spoke with them in person and made the appointment to drop off the unit I agreed on a price to replace the front graphic as it was fading. Drop off was March 14. Several weeks went by and no communication, several messages were placed via phone and no return calls. So around April mid month I stop by the dealership. Fortunately it's only a few miles from home. Asked to see the service manager. We meet and agreed to a schedule and updates. Several agreed upon updates all I heard was excuses. So, went back to dealer, now first of May and asked to speak to GM. Sat down with him and explained what had transpired with every date/time of calls and what transpired. So, now after hearing yada, yada, yada why everything went south the GM agrees to a schedule and gives me his cell phone number so there is "guaranteed communication". Two weeks later I get a call from the GM, it's ready for pick up!
Go to pick it up and the front cap, complete with new graphic looks like it has large drops of water on it. Upon inspection the graphic has a ton of bubbles in it. Push on the bubbles and find the fiberglass cap has a ton of dents in it. I asked the GM if he thought it was acceptable that they removed the old graphic with a mining pick. You can't make this stuff up.
Now it's mid June. So, during this time I ordered and received new tires for the camper. As part of the compensation for all that transpired the GM agreed to have the tires mounted, metal valve stems, and balancing. Then more excuses. Now I'm communicating via text messages to the GM daily at minimum. First it was the tires. The shop they deal with doesn't balance trailer tires, lug centric balancing. Well I guess you need to "deal" with a shop that does, that's our agreement. Time goes by and the text messages are numerous. After about 50 text messages and a pile of excuses I print out the messages and fax them along with a detailed list of what transpired complete with dates, times, who I spoke or dealt with and the results of that action to the corporate office that owns the dealership. I explained my frustrations and my intent to forward this information to the BBB and the Consumer Protection division of the Maryland State Attorneys office. Such a shame. When we bought the camper the dealer owner was an old acquaintance from childhood. We were boy scouts in the same group and he treated me well, as he did all his customers. Anyway back to the saga. My message to Finally get a call end of June and we are ready. Make appointment to inspect and pick up.
Arrive at dealer and see a lot of people standing around looking at a huge fiver in front of my unit. Walk up and couldn't believe my eyes. Some idiot decided it was a good idea to park a fiver with a fork lift and no spotter in front of my camper. You can't make this stuff up.
The fiver suffered more damage than our camper. Rear cap busted beyond repair, ladder bent like a pretzel. Our camper had the electric tongue jack broken and some minor scratches in the cap that would buff out.
So the bs continues. The GM sends me a text that they can't find the jack to replace it. Now the jack is Husky Brute 4000R with the remote control. They sell it in their store! I swear, you can't make this stuff up.
I ask to meet him that day and he agrees. I call the corp office, explain who I am and ask to speak to someone in upper management from my cell phone setting in the dealers parking lot. I guess my previous correspondence with the corp office got someone's attention. The VP of operations comes on line and I ask him to hold on while I walk in. I see the GM and ask what the issue is with replacing my jack. He starts his song and dance and tells me they don't make them any longer. I tell him to walk with me the 30' to his parts store. I point out the three jacks, identical to mine setting on his shelf. So, the guy on the phone asked me to hand my phone to the GM. After a few yes sirs he hands me my phone from a sweating shaking hand.
About 1/2 hr later I get a very apologetic call back from the VP asking me if I could possibly give them 24 hrs to "make this right". This was about 3 p.m.
Next morning at nine get a call from the "new" GM (the old assistant GM) to come pick up the camper. We arrive and everything appears to be ok from a distance. The new GM sees me arrive and runs outside to greet me. He profusely apologizes for all the "inconveniences" and offers a bunch of freebies as a peace offering. So, if your still with me here's the final chapter.
We walk out to the camper and I look at the new jack and ask the GM to get the Service Manager. The jack came with the Brute Super foot flip up jack foot and yup, they put it on backwards. You just can't make this stuff up.

So, I apologize for the length of this post. Point is, they just flat out don't care. Here I thought take it back to the dealer, they sold it, they work on on this brand, who better to know the part numbers, finishes, etc. There was considerable damage to the interior and I must say the tech that did that work did a fantastic job and yes, I gave that tech credit thru every step of escalation. Lessoned learned, I will never return to that dealer. There is an RV repair company about 17 miles away that only does repairs, no sales. That will be my future destination if I need to have work done that I'm not capable of doing myself.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote