Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2017, 03:08 AM   #1
macman66

bathroom fan upgrade

Hey everyone anybody have any ideas on fixing that really weak 6" factory fan other than completely replacing it with a Fan-Tastic or hang's Vortex 1 or 2. I really do not cherrish breaking the seal on a vent that is not leaking if you know what i mean. Thanks in advance.
macman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:27 AM   #2
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman66 View Post
Hey everyone anybody have any ideas on fixing that really weak 6" factory fan other than completely replacing it with a Fan-Tastic or hang's Vortex 1 or 2. I really do not cherrish breaking the seal on a vent that is not leaking if you know what i mean. Thanks in advance.
You don't have to "break the seal" on the vent to install the Heng's Vortex 1 or 2 upgrade. They install from inside your existing vent.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2017, 03:35 AM   #3
macman66

Yes i know the Vortex you do not remove the vent itself to install but they don't have the pull power of the Fan-tastic ones.I was trying to see if someone had any ideas on a modification on a DIY kind of thing.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:55 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

bathroom fan upgrade

We "break the seal" on vents all the time. Just use butyl tape under the lip and Dicor over the flange when your done. My fiver has a max air at each end, no leaks or worries.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:12 AM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Prices on the Heng's Vortex II fans are back down to $73. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AP...a7L&ref=plSrch

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:25 AM   #6
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman66 View Post
Yes i know the Vortex you do not remove the vent itself to install but they don't have the pull power of the Fan-tastic ones.I was trying to see if someone had any ideas on a modification on a DIY kind of thing.
While true they don't pull as well, they are light years ahead of the weak little 6" fan, I wanted a better in the middle of winter, the Vortex fit the bill and works very well.

[IMG][/IMG]
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:40 AM   #7
macman66

Does that vortex 1 run on high speed was thinking about that one with the reverse and fan speed option was not really a concern of mine anyway the version 1 is a lot cheaper than the vortex 2.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:47 AM   #8
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
I installed the Hangs Vortex2, though it may not be the same as Fantastic it is a whole lot cheaper and whole lot better than the tiny one that comes with the units. Time will tell if longevity will be there. I am very happy with the air pull/push.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:33 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

My major complaint with the Heng's Vortex 1 is the noise. I have been told that the Vortex 2 is much more quiet, but I haven't seen one "in action" so I can't say how quiet it might be. I installed a Vortex 1 in our Springdale, turned it on, called the DW and both of us were, "No way, it's too loud", do I removed it, returned it and "bit the bullet" bought a Fantastic vent/fan and installed it. When the Springdale roof was replaced, I pulled it out to reinstall after repairs. We traded the Springdale, so I installed the Fantastic fan in the Cougar bathroom. It's now 5 years old, on the second trailer and still as quiet as the day I first put it in the Springdale.

This is a situation where (in my opinion) you get what you pay for. Some people don't mind the vibration/noise from the Heng unit, others do.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:56 AM   #10
macman66

Thanks guys noise really not an issue for me but i will give it some research.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:54 AM   #11
cynjon

I just installed a Vortex II in my bathroom vent and I am very happy with the performance and noise level. I wanted to try one before committing to adding a second one where I don't already have power, but the Vortex II was easy to install and, as mentioned, the price has dropped to a very reasonable level again so my second one should be here today. Having one on one end of the trailer pulling air in, and one on the other end venting air out should make for a cooler trailer on those "non A/C" days.
cynjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:11 AM   #12
macman66

Nice i do admit the option to reverse the fan would be nice on those days where a/c is best left in the off position.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:38 PM   #13
GovGeek

I've installed two Heng's Vortex II fans and they're a great value. I honestly don't think "you get what you pay for" with the Fantastic Fans in terms of value... They're way overpriced. Vortex II fans aren't whisper quiet, but neither is the AC and it's far quieter than that. They move plenty of air, especially while cooking or cleaning. I'll be installing a third in the bathroom soon.
Blogg@ - https://rv-therapy.com/blog/
GovGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:07 AM   #14
macman66

Yeah i understand but noise not an issue for me i can always turn up the tv lol it will be just me in the old rv so only thing i want is to bring in fresh air when needed and alot of it.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:20 PM   #15
RLo

I installed the vortex 2 today in the bathroom. Makes a little noise but not too bad, moves more air then I thought it was gonna so that's a plus.

It did look like the speed control board was picked up out of a water puddle before assembly and had a broken solder joint so I fixed that. Won't be surprised if at some point in the near future I have to take it down and fix more, I don't think they could have found a lower quality solder.
RLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:39 PM   #16
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLo View Post
I installed the vortex 2 today in the bathroom. Makes a little noise but not too bad, moves more air then I thought it was gonna so that's a plus.

It did look like the speed control board was picked up out of a water puddle before assembly and had a broken solder joint so I fixed that. Won't be surprised if at some point in the near future I have to take it down and fix more, I don't think they could have found a lower quality solder.
Yes, I agree. Quality control and the product build itself leaves a lot to be desired. I'm surprised that MAXXAir and Fantanstic Fan haven't developed a self-install, bolt-on, interior vent fan.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:15 PM   #17
cynjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLo View Post

I had a similar experience with my second Vortex II fan. The first one worked perfectly when I installed it. I decided then to add a second fan in the opposite end of the trailer (kitchen end) so I could use the two fans to push-pull air through the trailer. I ordered a second fan from an Amazon vendor, and after Fedex/USPS "Smart"post (using the term "smart" VERY loosely), it arrived 15 days later. I installed it and discovered that only the forward HIGH and reverse speeds worked--the low and medium did not. I emailed the Amazon vendor and they were very responsive. I assumed they were sending me a replacement fan, but instead I got a replacement control board. Took all of 5 minutes to swap it out with the old board, and noticed that the old board was as you described...horrible solder quality, sloppy work, and the PCB looked like it had been through a war. The replacement, on the other hand, was much better in terms of quality and neatness of the soldering, and although the boards were dimensionally the same, it was clear that there is a Version 1 and Version 2 (or similar), either newer or from a different manufacturer. The new board worked perfectly when it was installed. I looked the old board over closely and I can't pinpoint the cause of the malfunction, but it is likely a poor or cold solder joint, most likely. Anyhow, it was an easy fix thanks to a vendor with great customer service, so all is well. Very happy with the Vortex fans so far...hopefully they hold up in the long run.
cynjon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade