Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2019, 03:19 AM   #1
FlyingAroundRV

Fees, fees and more fees!

We're travelling through Michigan at the moment and the state parks really know how to gouge!
Now you have to pay a camping fee, a vehicle fee for the TV, a towed vehicle fee for the TT, an online booking fee, and a "convenience" fee (whatever that's for).
What a rip off!
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:23 AM   #2
rhagfo

What do the "Fees" add up to?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:27 AM   #3
ken56

Tennessee state parks are wonderful. No fee to enter or use them except to camp. I moved out of MI 6 years ago and haven't looked back. I know you guys have been all over the country so your statement on this speaks volumes.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:41 AM   #4
FlyingAroundRV

Fees:
Michigan "passport" fee - $9.00 per day for non residents
Convenience fee - $5.00
Towed vehicle fee - $7.00 per day
Booking fee - $10.00
Camping fee - $30.00 per night
Total $46.00 per day plus $15.00 in BS fees (convenience and booking)
Very expensive to camp in MI state parks now!

And that is for electric only sites, no water or sewage connections.
2018 Outback 272UFL

Old 07-30-2019, 03:47 AM   #5
IMASAP

That is absurd ! Move to another state quickly...
IMASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:55 AM   #6
SummitPond

I suspect you had to make your reservations through ReserveAmerica. As you said, "what a rip off" for the little they do and the price they command, and there's no getting around it. Shortly after they cornered the market for State parks, it used to be you could do a drive-up and take your chances to see if you could get a spot; the Ranger would check you in without the additional fee. It seems not so much any more - RA gets their cut no matter who makes the reservation (them or the Ranger), and there's no price cut if you do it online and bypass the "expensive" human interface.

Another common theme these days seems to be the vehicle fee, although you can often get a year's pass that is equivalent to a few nights' stay. It seems the price of "admission" to the park used to be buried in with the camping fee, but no longer.

Either way, States (and many so-called "resorts") are seeking new ways to dredge more money from their customers.

Safe travels - where else is on your itinerary? Getting to Maine before mid-October?

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:14 AM   #7
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
I suspect you had to make your reservations through ReserveAmerica. As you said, "what a rip off" for the little they do and the price they command, and there's no getting around it. Shortly after they cornered the market for State parks, it used to be you could do a drive-up and take your chances to see if you could get a spot; the Ranger would check you in without the additional fee. It seems not so much any more - RA gets their cut no matter who makes the reservation (them or the Ranger), and there's no price cut if you do it online and bypass the "expensive" human interface.

Another common theme these days seems to be the vehicle fee, although you can often get a year's pass that is equivalent to a few nights' stay. It seems the price of "admission" to the park used to be buried in with the camping fee, but no longer.

Either way, States (and many so-called "resorts") are seeking new ways to dredge more money from their customers.

Safe travels - where else is on your itinerary? Getting to Maine before mid-October?
Actually, the reservation was made through the MI state park system. I have written a nasty-gram to the parks and recreation people of MI objecting to their gouging. We'll see what kind of response I get to my threats to tell all on social media.
Yes, we will be vacating expensive MI asap.
And yes, we were thinking of heading up Maine way and before mid October. Are you saying that is expensive too? If so, we might give that a miss as we don't have bottomless pockets to throw at bankrupt gouging states.
2018 Outback 272UFL

Old 07-30-2019, 04:24 AM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
Fees:
Michigan "passport" fee - $9.00 per day for non residents
Convenience fee - $5.00
Towed vehicle fee - $7.00 per day
Booking fee - $10.00
Camping fee - $30.00 per night
Total $46.00 per day plus $15.00 in BS fees (convenience and booking)
Very expensive to camp in MI state parks now!

And that is for electric only sites, no water or sewage connections.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASAP View Post
That is absurd ! Move to another state quickly...
Wow! seems a bit steep, here in Oregon Fees are about $30 to $35 per night depending on water/power/ sewer hookups. Some parks also need to collect a city or county tax on the site.
The legislature passed a change to the fee schedule to allow a surcharge for "Premium Sites" I believe the maximum is $5 a night.
I am not aware of any park that has instituted the fee yet, the site below is a prime example of a site that could see the fee. there are also three sites in this park that back to the Pacific.

Old 07-30-2019, 04:28 AM   #9
rhagfo

Quote:
Actually, the reservation was made through the MI state park system. I have written a nasty-gram to the parks and recreation people of MI objecting to their gouging. We'll see what kind of response I get to my threats to tell all on social media.
Yes, we will be vacating expensive MI asap.
And yes, we were thinking of heading up Maine way and before mid October. Are you saying that is expensive too? If so, we might give that a miss as we don't have bottomless pockets to throw at bankrupt gouging states.
Come out to the West Coast and enjoy some Oregon State Parks!
Old 07-30-2019, 05:23 AM   #10
Roscommon48

Yes, the fees are a little nuts but hey, come on over to Michigan, it is a great state to visit. The Michigan annual pass for out of staters is $33. Did you use the Michigan site: https://www.midnrreservations.com/cr...vationmessages

There are lots of RV camping, NOT through the state park system. Or just show up at the state park and hope you get a site and save the reservation fee. Beautiful county parks in the UP too.

And for for someone traveling in an RV I don't think overall that you'd think it would be a cheap time.

To just say don't come here or move out because of camping fees is a bit much.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:39 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Roscommon48. To say that any state, Michigan or any other, should be avoided because camping fees at state facilities are within $10-15 of private facilities is a bit much. For example, in Traverse City, the state park campground is, as you indicated, around $40-45 a night for non-residents. Private campgrounds in that area range from $50 to $125 a night for similar "electric only" or "water and electric" sites. Full hookup sites can range another $10-20 a night more. Yes, very expensive to visit Traverse City during the summer. But that's a "central point" for visiting some of the most beautiful and unspoiled areas in the Lake Michigan watershed. You do have to pay for what you enjoy, either in money or in effort. You can stay at the KOA in Gaylord and drive to Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes for $40 a night with full hookups, but you'll be driving 200 miles round trip to visit the Dunes. So, $46 for a site doesn't seem so bad when compared to the choices. But, each must consider their requirements and what they prefer.

To be honest, Michigan's state park campground system was "paid for with tax dollars" that were funded by residents, so residents do get a "reduced rate" for camping and "non-residents" do pay an extra fee. The fact that they didn't pay state income tax/as much sales tax as residents is the reason.

An annual "resident parks pass" is $11, a daily pass is $5.
An annual "non-resident pass" is $33, a daily pass is $9.

As for paying a fee for a "towed vehicle" that ONLY applies to motor vehicles. You should not be charged for a RV trailer being towed behind the vehicle that's charged the daily pass or for any resident or non resident vehicle with a current annual pass.

Here's the DNR link to charges and where they are required/exempt: https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,...210---,00.html

I might also add that Michigan is not the only state that charges "non-residents" more for camping or other facility use. Residents in most places can "rent a pavilion" at a county or city park" for less than the rental charged to a non-resident. We stay at Ohio State Parks quite often and our daily camping fee (with all charges added) is about $25 a day more than Ohio residents pay for the same site.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:47 AM   #12
SummitPond

Quote:
... And yes, we were thinking of heading up Maine way and before mid October. Are you saying that is expensive too? If so, we might give that a miss as we don't have bottomless pockets to throw at bankrupt gouging states.
No, I wasn't inferring that Maine State parks are pricey, but I really don't know as we haven't been camping at any in eons (I know, we're a sorry lot! Headed to VT this weekend, though! And a private CG in Acton in September.) I know private CGs range all over the map, and some - even close to touristy areas - are quite reasonable.

I was just asking if you were going to be in the neighborhood; perhaps we could connect. PM me if you want to discuss this further.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:51 AM   #13
Frank G

Have you asked John if you could use his driveway?
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:07 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm not near Sleeping Bear Dunes or the west coast of Michigan, more the center of the state, so "beach activity" here, typically means small lakes with cold (did I mention COLD) water..... LOL

As for the DNR reservations website, it is directly linked to the "parasite site" (ReserveAmerica) that bleeds $8 for every reservation transaction. So, if you log on, reserve a site for tonight, it'll cost you $8. If you log on tomorrow night and reserve a site for that night, it's another $8. And so on for every "reservation transaction" that you make. If you KNOW where you're going to be, you can make 20 (or more) reservations at different parks, all in the same "transaction" for $8. Essentially, 20 "individual transactions would cost $160. That same "campground reservations" for 20 sites would be 8 bucks....

It's the same with the "parks pass" For non-residents, $9 a night if bought every day or $33 for an annual pass.

As far as I know, the "convenience surcharge" applies to every "money changing transaction" that occurs. So, if you pay for a campsite, then go back and pay for another day (early tomorrow morning) you'll pay "2 convenience surcharges"... If you reserve 2 days and pay for both at the same time, only one surcharge is billed....

Planning your visit to Michigan and doing everything at one time will save a substantial amount in "fees and surcharges"....

I might add, most banks charge a transaction surcharge. If you go in and put money to your savings account, you pay a fee. If you go back an hour later and put part of that money in your checking account, they charge another transaction surcharge. If you do it all at the same time, you only pay one transaction fee. Again, preplanning would save money.

As for camping in my drive, there's not enough room with our fifth wheel parked in the spot. But there are two excellent state forest campgrounds (dry camping only) within a mile. Both are usually close to full but there's often an empty site if you plan to arrive before Thursday evening. Weekend use is almost always at capacity. So, again, preplanning.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-30-2019, 03:02 PM   #15
Northofu1

You win some, you lose some.
Going to two COE CG's in TN in August, $15 $22 /night with ATBP.
Then we're up to Wilderness state park first week of September, I just want to see beautiful places.
Some people love the Anchor down scene at 75 per night, not a lick of shade.
To each their own.
Now that said, in Canadian National parks, every park you camp at in a calendar year you can get that put toward a National Pass, keep the receipts. We each got a years pass for $3 for the following year. I am almost clear for the ATBP just from the 2 COE CG's in August

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:35 PM   #16
NH_Bulldog

We just did a tour around the Great Lakes which included many nights in MI State Parks (Muskegon, Tahquamenon Falls, Fort Wilkins, McLain and Brimley). Bought a yearlong non-resident Recreation Passport for $33 and site cost was $30 per night plus a $8 web reservation fee per transaction. I made reservations for ourselves for our trailer and for my parents with their motor-coach and tow behind car. No other fees or charges.....not sure what happened in your case but is NOT the experience we had! We had a great time and would highly recommend Michigan State Parks!

As far as Maine or most any other New England State Parks, they are 100% funded by user fees, not taxpayer dollars, and there are few if any with hook-ups (Maine has 3, New Hampshire has 3 and Vermont has none). Prices are comparable, but YMMV.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:45 PM   #17
Customer1

Come on over to Ohio State Parks, they only charge the campsite rent.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:07 AM   #18
FlyingAroundRV

And yet more fees from Michigan!
Yesterday we went to Mackinac Island. They don't allow motor vehicles there, but they do allow bikes ... With an accompanying fee of course. You can take your bike on the ferry but you have to pay $12.00 per day permit because it's a state park! Funny that they don't have that charge in the state park we're camped at. But then maybe I shouldn't mention that out loud around the park. Maybe we should have been charged that here also?
Michigan: Pure fees.
2018 Outback 272UFL

Old 08-02-2019, 04:40 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

But the amazing (did I mention AMAZING) views of Lake Huron and the Straits of Mackinac are free.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-02-2019, 05:20 AM   #20
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
But the amazing (did I mention AMAZING) views of Lake Huron and the Straits of Mackinac are free.
And they ARE amazing views, but for a ferry FEE of $25.00 pp to view them. Not to mention the $4.00 bridge toll (each way) if you are foolish enough (as we were) to camp on the St Ignace side.
But yes, we cycled around the island (8.2 miles) and had lunch at the fort. Bought some chocolate and supported the local economy.
2018 Outback 272UFL