Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2019, 08:16 AM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firegod View Post
I am having the same issue with a brand new cougar. It's BS that somebody from Keystone can't tell us what size the tanks are that THEY installed.

All the dealer can stay is that "I think" they are equal size.
When you call Keystone, the person on the phone at the other end isn't going to have ALL the specs on ALL the trailers Keystone carries and as I stated before, specs are subject to change at anytime.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:32 AM   #22
RickReichert

I bought a cheap plastic digital water meter that hooks onto a garden hose. Filled each tank separately. Easy!
RickReichert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:11 AM   #23
RayT

I'm not the original owner of my 2012 Montana and didn't get all the original paperwork when I purchased it. I did find specs online that claimed my total gray tank capacity is 93 gallons.

I had also contacted Keystone to get other build info and at the time they told me the 93 gal was split evenly between the two tanks.

I recently had part of the chloroplast pulled and was able to get my cell phone close enough to the two tanks to take photos of the labels on the tanks with the manufacturer name and model number (Ameri-Kart HT541 & HT542). An internet search provided the correct info, both tanks are 40 gal, for a total capacity of only 80 gallons!

So much for truth in marketing
RayT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:09 AM   #24
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickReichert View Post
I bought a cheap plastic digital water meter that hooks onto a garden hose. Filled each tank separately. Easy!
Ok! Now that you know tank sizes does it really make a difference in how you use them? The sensors are not calibrated in gallons & are mostly useless! Will you use the same cheap digital meter to measure input from each sink & the toilet? Unless you do nothing has changed, when they're full they're full. Also because it holds xx gallons doesn't mean you'll ever fill to or dump xx gallons, once liquid has been added you'll never drain it all again.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:18 AM   #25
Nitehawk

I like this... just something g else to add to my " buckets list" of things to do..
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:01 AM   #26
dcount

Gray tank capacity 2018 Premier 29RKPR

I recently did a little test on all three of my tanks, they are supposed to be 30 gallons each, 1 black and 2 gray. I was checking how close the tank level lights were to reality. Used a 5 gallon bucket, the lights were surprisingly accurate, and all tanks checked out to approximately 30 gallons eack. But we still get some weird readings when camping.
I would think from a manufacturing/assembly perspective, you would want to minimize SKU's and stock locations, so using the same 30 gallon tank in as many applications as possible would make the most sense.
dcount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:35 PM   #27
Ppk123

Get the 36 gallon you won’t be unhappy, but forewarned when you have 300 pounds in the tank the wheels are only rated for about 75 each.I had one that I use six or seven times and the wheel broke. Put on wheels that would hold 175 pounds each. But I had to fix the axle the It was 5/8 shaft machine to a half inch axle. The bigger wheels are 5/8 shaft .
Ppk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:40 PM   #28
mwemaxxowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Ok! Now that you know tank sizes does it really make a difference in how you use them? The sensors are not calibrated in gallons & are mostly useless! Will you use the same cheap digital meter to measure input from each sink & the toilet? Unless you do nothing has changed, when they're full they're full. Also because it holds xx gallons doesn't mean you'll ever fill to or dump xx gallons, once liquid has been added you'll never drain it all again.
It's useful if you're searching for a portable dump tank. Otherwise, sure it doesn't matter. I don't see a need to spend more money than I need on a tank, but at the same time I want to make sure I can dump the entire tank while I'm at it.
mwemaxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:41 PM   #29
mwemaxxowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
When you call Keystone, the person on the phone at the other end isn't going to have ALL the specs on ALL the trailers Keystone carries and as I stated before, specs are subject to change at anytime.
I know that wasn't directed towards me, but I definitely understand that. It seems to me this information should be published somewhere though. It doesn't seem that it is.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:29 PM   #30
Yankee Clipper

Holding tank sizes

I may have been lied to but when I called Keystones for this info they asked for my S/N and then told me the three sizes.
Yankee Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:33 PM   #31
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Clipper View Post
I may have been lied to but when I called Keystones for this info they asked for my S/N and then told me the three sizes.

With a VIN and the right person, they may be able to access the “build sheet”. That sheet will have model and serial numbers, it may also include tanks.

I do know when we submit a warranty claim, we have to include model &serial number.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:02 PM   #32
sealyin

Don't believe the printed material. Measure it yourself. The specs for our 2017 Cougar Half ton series 26RBIWE say 38 gallon black and it only holds 30 gallons when I poured in 5 gallon buckets as suggested above. Measured it twice to make sure I did not miscount the buckets but got 30 gallons both times.
sealyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:00 PM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealyin View Post
Don't believe the printed material. Measure it yourself. The specs for our 2017 Cougar Half ton series 26RBIWE say 38 gallon black and it only holds 30 gallons when I poured in 5 gallon buckets as suggested above. Measured it twice to make sure I did not miscount the buckets but got 30 gallons both times.
If you look at the construction shape of most holding tanks, they are "long, flat, skinny tanks with the sensors mounted in the end. A "slightly off level trailer" (side to side) may well displace 1/3 or 1/2 of the "liquid at that end of the tank" and make you think your tank is half full when it's full or make you think it's full when it's half full.

In addition to that, if you pour 5 gallon buckets into a tank that's in a trailer that is "leaning toward the end without sensors" you may find that it has an "air gap" at the end and won't hold the entire "38 gallons" but only holds 31 gallons (example only) and the other 7 gallons are "consumed by air that can't be displaced by water from your bucket"... Then there's the possibility that the tank is "squished in the middle" by a beam under it, a lateral brace that doesn't let the tank fully expand or even a vent stack that's inserted too deeply into the tank, preventing it from expelling excess air as the tank fills with water....

There's significantly more to "my 38 gallon tank won't hold 38 gallons" than just an "incorrect tank must have been installed"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:24 PM   #34
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^Which goes back to travelintexans post about "why obsess" about this stuff. Black/gray tanks come in all kinds of sizes. The manufacturer may or may not tell you exactly what it is due to any number of "issues". Trying to assess the "exact" capacity to then buy some "accessory" that exactly fits is just....wishing. It is what it is....put the tote down, listen to it, close the valve, tank empty or not if it sounds full. Have to make 2 trips? Oh well, that's RVing.

Like wiring, outlets and anything else, you have to learn to deal with it unless you just want to tear the RV apart and "trace" wiring, "affirm" tank capacities, "insure" water line/plumbing routing (assure construction parameters); just for grins. At the same time you could pull all the interior/exterior walls off to ascertain exact locations of the wall studs, floor joists etc. I choose to learn it, deal with it and go have fun.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:38 AM   #35
mwemaxxowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
^^^^Which goes back to travelintexans post about "why obsess" about this stuff. Black/gray tanks come in all kinds of sizes. The manufacturer may or may not tell you exactly what it is due to any number of "issues". Trying to assess the "exact" capacity to then buy some "accessory" that exactly fits is just....wishing. It is what it is....put the tote down, listen to it, close the valve, tank empty or not if it sounds full. Have to make 2 trips? Oh well, that's RVing.

Like wiring, outlets and anything else, you have to learn to deal with it unless you just want to tear the RV apart and "trace" wiring, "affirm" tank capacities, "insure" water line/plumbing routing (assure construction parameters); just for grins. At the same time you could pull all the interior/exterior walls off to ascertain exact locations of the wall studs, floor joists etc. I choose to learn it, deal with it and go have fun.
With all due respect, I'm not obsessing over it. I inquired about where I may find information about the capacities of my tanks. Then I was informed there pretty much isn't any, I'll have to measure it, which is good enough to me. Then conversation and posts continued and we continue to participate.

If I wish to know the size of my tank, so that I can maximize a dump into a portable tank, I'm welcome to and I don't think that is an unreasonable wish. On a weekend trip, that could well mean the difference between using the portable tank twice and then having just a couple gallons left after the last day or two to dump on the way out, and only dumping into the portable tank once. You get the idea.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:55 AM   #36
sourdough
Site Team

The term "obsess" was used as a quote from a previous post. How anyone wants to approach anything related to their personal use/experience with their RV is their choice of course.

In this situation I was trying to point out that each RV is built independently of the next one; literally each one is a "one off" and unique unto itself. Trying to find the exact details of a particular unit is a waste of time generally so it depends on what the owner can determine, first hand, about his particular unit. In your case, I completely understand the reason you want to know and it sounds like you have come to a plan on how you want to approach it as best I can tell.

My comments weren't directed at you particularly but more a general statement of how these things are put together and the extent to which one may, or may not, want to go to figure out exactly what it is that they own - and how much trouble it would be to learn ??.

As far as dumping the black tank into a tote, I've never owned a tote BUT I did spend a lot of time helping my best friend use his. I said then I never would and never have; sort of llke a porta potty - too much trouble. Also, 40 gals. of "stuff" weighs well in excess of 300 lbs. Seems way too much to try to navigate by hand around a rough, hilly campsite location. I did look up one that might be a little more handy than what I originally envisioned (handling by hand). It appears to stay flat on the ground and has a loop so that you could attach it to a vehicle/ATV for transport to a dump site;

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Barker-42...SABEgLev_D_BwE

Good luck on your choice and hope you find a way to "conveniently" handle the "stuff".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:18 AM   #37
mwemaxxowner

Ideally we're only going to stay short trips at places that don't have on site sewer. Also, ideally when I DO have to use a portable tank, I'll be able to have very little, if none at all distance to get it to the truck and let the truck do the heavy lifting from the camp site to the dump station.

I'm sure we're also all well aware that ideal doesn't always happen, but IF I find myself in strange situations where I would have a long way to drag it by hand, I can always choose those times to not fill it completely. The state park we stayed at recently I could have dumped into the tank while attached to the truck, then driven a hundred yards to the dump station. Never having to move it at all by hand and also not having to drive it behind the truck all that far. That particular place is one we hope to frequent often .
Old 07-29-2019, 11:23 AM   #38
Campbuddy

We recently got a 25 gallon tote that has 6” wheels. The first trip we took it on we were over a mile to the dump and there were speed bumps. The instructions for the tote said not to go faster than a walking pace. The larger the wheels you get, the faster you can go.
Campbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:17 PM   #39
mwemaxxowner

I really wasn't expecting to get excited while unboxing my poo tank...but I did. Lol.

I still haven't measured my tanks (the camper is set up far enough from the nearest water source that the hose we have doesn't reach all that close), but I bet 32 gallons is a good bet for being large enough. If I'm 5 or so gallons shy I can always use a 5 gallon bucket or even two with a lid on them if it was necessary.

I found a few this size cheaper, but they had horrible reviews. It came down to this one, and the Camco Rhino 36 gallon. I think it would have been a good choice too, gets good reviews, no complaints of wheel or axle failure or whatnot, etc. The deciding factor for me was 4 wheels, and not having to support the front when I do need to roll it by hand. I would imagine distributing the weight amongst 4 wheels instead of two will help it live a longer life.

I have steel wheels, pneumatic tires, and greasable bearings. It seemed that most complaints in the reviews on other models were wheel failures, many melting in the center due to no bearings.

It has a level sensor, of sorts. It's also lower profile than the Camco Rhino that I was looking at.

I think it was 217 shipped or something like that. We're camping a week from tomorrow. I'm sure we won't fill our tanks, but I may use this thing on the last day anyway just to get some experience with it. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190808_165151814.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	23136Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190808_165302107.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	23137Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190808_165308834.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	23138Click image for larger version