Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2021, 02:57 PM   #21
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcomeaux View Post
Well had a tech look at our refrigerator and I knew I was in trouble when you start seeing head scratching and guessing. Being out in the desert in Arizona resources are limited. Have another guy coming Monday that actually told me about JC Refridgeration . I did the gas/electric conversion on the last trailer which was outstanding. Anyone have the 12 volt dual compressor conversion done? Sure sounds like the way to go…
I've been asking the same question on another forum I'm on.....a Grand Design forum. But, a Norcold 2118 is the same unit no matter what brand trailer it lives in. I've struggled and fought with mine since March 2019 when I bought the trailer new. I've finally reached the breaking point and unless I see a bunch of bad reviews between now and April/May next year, I will be traveling to Shipshewana to JC and getting an install from them on the twin 12VDC compressors for mine. I am just over it! We did a month long trip out west in Sept, and that was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. We didn't lose any food from it's varying temperatures, but I'm not going to deal with never knowing what temperature you are going to see during the day, or in the morning when you wake up or whenever. So far, everything that I've seen has been positive about the 12V conversion.

I'm in the process of buying 4 LiFePO4 battery cells and will be building a 310AH LFP battery over the winter.....when all the parts arrive. Even if I only run them down to 80 or 90% discharged, I can still get at least 24 hours of runtime on the 12V fridge....and that will be more, as the unit doesn't run constantly.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:04 PM   #22
mcomeaux

My last trailer had the gas/electric installed. Never had to set level above 1 and achieved 33-35 in fridge and -5-0 in freezer and a very happy wife and hard ice cream. I’m pulling the trigger Monday. Had to buy a apartment size fridge to keep peace in house for now.
You won’t be sorry
Old 10-28-2021, 02:21 AM   #23
xrated

Quote:
My last trailer had the gas/electric installed. Never had to set level above 1 and achieved 33-35 in fridge and -5-0 in freezer and a very happy wife and hard ice cream. I’m pulling the trigger Monday. Had to buy a apartment size fridge to keep peace in house for now.
You won’t be sorry
I would be totally content with the kind of numbers that you had in you last trailer.....that's impressive. So I guess you are going to order one and have it shipped and put it in yourself? I would probably attempt to do ours if I was a bit of a younger man, but this one is definitely a two or three person job to get it out of the enclosure in the slide and then manhandle it into position to be able to work on it. Let us know how it turns out....I'm still looking for feedback before I decide.

Old 10-28-2021, 05:21 AM   #24
mcomeaux

Having tech show up Monday and I’ll keep you posted. Yes If was a bit younger I’d do this myself watched the last one took 3 hours and 2 guys. This 2118 is bigger. I will keep forum posted on numbers. And if anyone else has this installed please chime in. Spoke with them at JC Refridgeration and he told me with 2 Grp-24 deep cycle I should be good for 4-6 hrs travel and plug back in. This coming summer I’m installing a pair of lithium batteries. I also have generator so I’m not overly concerned.
Old 10-28-2021, 06:01 AM   #25
xrated

Quote:
You won’t be sorry
Quote:
Having tech show up Monday and I’ll keep you posted. Yes If was a bit younger I’d do this myself watched the last one took 3 hours and 2 guys. This 2118 is bigger. I will keep forum posted on numbers. And if anyone else has this installed please chime in. Spoke with them at JC Refridgeration and he told me with 2 Grp-24 deep cycle I should be good for 4-6 hrs travel and plug back in. This coming summer I’m installing a pair of lithium batteries. I also have generator so I’m not overly concerned.
You may already know this, but just in case you do not. When you switch to the LFP style batteries, you will need to change out the converter/charger in the trailer.....unless it is specifically configurable to change to the LFP charging profile. Mine is not, so after I get the battery built, I will be purchasing a new Progressive Dynamics Converter/Charger and installing in my trailer. The standard converter/charger will charge up the LFP batteries, just not to full capacity of the cells. Normally, you will only get between 75-80% of the LFP battery capacity when charging with a traditional converter/charger.

Old 10-28-2021, 06:20 AM   #26
mcomeaux

Thanks for the heads up I’m having a shop at home do it for me. I was aware of that. Flying R/C airplanes we’ve gone through changes in battery chemistry over the years. Incredible movement forward for sure.
Old 10-28-2021, 06:26 AM   #27
xrated

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up I’m having a shop at home do it for me. I was aware of that. Flying R/C airplanes we’ve gone through changes in battery chemistry over the years. Incredible movement forward for sure.
You're welcome.....I know how much I hate "surprises" like that, just when you think you've got something figured out!