Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2019, 08:32 AM   #1
jacketslacker

Propane hose upgrade/replacement

I've got a 2018 Springdale 1750RD. We were looking to install a 2nd propane tank, partially for the camper but also to have for running some other stuff around camp as well.

In switching to a dual tank, I also bought a cover. Now I know I'll have to get a dual regulator, but the question I've got is what hose do I need from the regulator to the camper line? I know it's gotta be longer, but trying to figure out what the fittings are. As near as I can tell, it's a 3/8" MPT on one end and I think 1/2" Female flare on the other. Does anyone know for sure if I'm right and/or how I can check to make sure I am? I don't want to get the wrong hose and find out I've got to wait for the 2nd one to finish the project up when I get around to it.

Thanks in advance.
jacketslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:42 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Most single tank regulators are fitted like yours with similar fittings to what you see. Some dual tank automatic regulators use different size fittings.

If you're going to retrofit the entire single tank system to a dual automatic regulator system, you might find it cheaper to just buy the entire kit.

Here's one example: https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-KT...gateway&sr=8-1 There are better quality systems, but depending on what you want to pay, if you buy a $40 regulator, this is about the same quality as you'd get with that and the pigtails "come free".
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:37 PM   #3
jacketslacker

Yeah I know I would need the new regulator. I was trying to figure out what the end of the hose at the trailer needed to be.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:01 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Most likely the hose is 3/8” with a flare fitting at the regulator. The other end may be a variety of different fittings, if you can post a pic we can probably identify it.

If you have a local hydraulic hose shop nearby, you can just take the hose off, take it in and tell them the length.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:05 PM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Most single tank regulators are fitted like yours with similar fittings to what you see. Some dual tank automatic regulators use different size fittings.

If you're going to retrofit the entire single tank system to a dual automatic regulator system, you might find it cheaper to just buy the entire kit.

Here's one example: https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-KT...gateway&sr=8-1 There are better quality systems, but depending on what you want to pay, if you buy a $40 regulator, this is about the same quality as you'd get with that and the pigtails "come free".
If you can find this same setup with the Marshall brand regulator would better, maybe a couple more $$ but worth it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:33 AM   #6
jacketslacker

When screwing all the lines together into the regulator and the supply line; do I need to put some kind of teflon tape or pipe dope on it? Or do I just put the bare fittings? I haven't started taking it apart yet but figured I'd get an idea of what I need to do since I'll be doing the mod in the storage lot and it would be better to try and have everything I'll need in one shot.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:38 AM   #7
travelin texans

Brass to brass you shouldn't need anything but won't hurt to use something, brass to ?? use the yellow teflon tape designed for gas/LP.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:34 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Brass to brass you shouldn't need anything but won't hurt to use something, brass to ?? use the yellow teflon tape designed for gas/LP.
I like Rectors #5 (yellow) pipe dope.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:48 AM   #9
MrRobalo

Others above have covered most of your questions. I owned a propane years ago (after I left the marine industry ) and had to learn a lot on my own. When tightening any brass going into aluminum (like a the regulator ) DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN as you will crack it.
Also avoid any crimping fittings unless the proper crimping tool is used and the correct LP brass fittings. Once done mix up a water/soap solution turn on the gas ( check stove,furnace and any other outlets in the system are in OFF POSITION ) soak all the connections good and watch for the slightest bubbling. Most just look and say that’s good when they don’t see a big bubble . I used a meter on my fittings but also the soap method if I put a large built in appliance just to rest assured I left the house as safe as possible. I will admit when I first started I spent a lot of moneys on brass fittings because I had to learn which fittings by proper name go together and even asked the parts guy what fittings do I need for this project in the beginning. Also you can go to a reputable hardware store and ask for help and you should be good to go. Just remember to recheck after you pull the trailer for the first time to make sure and you will sleep better.
Just my 2 cents worth.
MrRobalo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, upgrade