Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2019, 05:44 PM   #1
MarkEHansen

Interesting experience at Les Schwab Tires

I've gone to Les Schwab Tire for various things over the years and have always been treated well by qualified technicians - until this weekend.

I took my 2019 Keystone 26RBSWE in to have the valve stems replaced with metal ones. I gave the person taking the order at the counter a couple of special instructions, like to please make sure the tires go back on the trailer in the same position and that we need high pressure valve stems, due to the 80PSI pressure. No problem.

As the worker was bring out the first set of upgraded wheels, I asked if he had marked the tires to make sure they went back in the same position and he said something like "We're Les Schwab - We're going to make sure it's done right". Okay. I left him to complete the task.

Once he was done, I checked the tire pressure and found them at around 58 psi. I asked him to come back out and set them at the proper level. When he got there, he explained that he set them at 58 to be safe. What?

I told him they need to be set to 80 psi. He said he would be willing to set them as high as 75, but 80 would split the tires. What??

I told him he was wrong and that the load of the trailer required 80 psi, but as I was trying to convince him, he walked over to help another customer and a different tech came over with a hose to fill the tires.

I explained that I was pretty upset over this un-informed tech and ask him to please report it to the manager.

I was pretty shocked, but the second tech stayed with me and made sure I was satisfied with the air pressure in all the tires.

I used their corporate "Contact Us" page to leave a comment with all the particulars. I sure hope they convince that first tech of his error.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:55 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

WOW !!!

Not to make light of your situation, it's certainly a dangerous way to "air down" a customer's tires. But looking back at another thread about "light duty valve stems installed in tires at COSTCO at another location, it just goes to show you that even 'the most customer friendly places" may not always be doing things the right way.....

My dad used to tell me, "Boy, if you're doing your own work, check it twice, if someone else is doing it, check it 4 times." Seems he may have known more about today's work force than I suspected. He hasn't been with us for 20+ years, but.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:12 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Mark, when the initial employee gave you the bs and walked away you should have been front and center with his boss. That is unacceptable. Sorry for the problem but I would not have left without resolution.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:16 PM   #4
Ken / Claudia

They put the light duty valve stems in my f350 and did not know any better until the 2nd blow out. I was at another Les Schwab dealing with the tire that was destroyed. The tech was shocked they did it, but it was at a city store not a store that deals with farmers/ ranchers etc.
I still am a customer of Les Schwab and when I went to them for the TT steel valves it was all done right.
I am glad you stood your ground and did not leave with under inflated tires. A email or talk with the manager was important. If it was me, I would have said I am not wanting the guy fired just trained.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:27 PM   #5
gearhead

I don't know anything about Les Schwab. I don't think we have them around here. Is this a franchise type operation? If so, some of those do everything they can to squeeze every penny out of the store. Usually the owner has several stores and maybe a half dozen Subway sandwich stores too. He doesn't know the difference between a tuna sandwich and a lug nut. Employees are hired based on how little of a salary they will accept. No way I would buy something from them and go in the customer waiting room and watch TV or play on a iPhone. No way.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:08 PM   #6
cookinwitdiesel

That is just lazy....the max PSI is literally stamped on the sidewall of the tires, no interpretation or speculation or guessing required!
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:26 AM   #7
66joej

When we picked up our new Cougar as part of my usual pre trip walk around I always check the tire pressure and they were set at 55#. Called the tech who did the walk through and told him these E rated tires needed 80#. He said no they require 55#. Had him look at the sidewall and he admitted to being wrong. Aired up to 80# and we were on our way.
Moral of the story even the guys that know sometimes don't know.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires