Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2018, 07:36 PM   #1
Bellbear59

5th wheel versus toy hauler....transporting harleys

I'm just not a fan of toy hauler floor plans when it comes to RV's. not as "plush" as typical 5th wheels. I'm going with 34 foot Montana HC and pulling aluminum lite trailer with two full size Harley's...
Anyone else do this...Oh, pulling with F350 6.2 gas
Bellbear59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:49 AM   #2
notanlines

We triple tow with no problems. The rig is a little longer than some states allow, but it is a risk we are willing to take. We only tow Memphis to south Florida and Memphis to northern Wisconsin. Alabama, Georgia and Florida seem to ignore the RV's triple towing through their state. Once in Mississippi and headed north nobody cares. California, Oregon and Washington frown on the practice but we don't bring the bike with us on those trips anymore.
This is one of the better articles to help you along. http://www.doityourselfrv.com/rv-triple-towing-laws/
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:14 PM   #3
roadglide

I have seen triple towing that scares the he'll out of me with T V not qualified to pull signal. Take a trip to quartzsite in real life what is being towed and nobody cares or it wouldn't be takeing place . I Can say know what you want because there is no backing out when you get there . That is why I have the toy hauler.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:26 PM   #4
Tinner12002

Well I'm a toy hauler fan as well as my other half, just makes more sense for us to carry the bikes this way rather than the headache of trying to tow doubles. One, I know where they are at all times and they are out of site out of mind for others, not counting the fact they are always out of the weather, so the virtual sacrifice of less living space isn't really a sacrifice at all. We really don't plan on plush time in the RV, we plan on great riding adventures out on our bikes.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:41 PM   #5
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
We triple tow with no problems. The rig is a little longer than some states allow, but it is a risk we are willing to take. We only tow Memphis to south Florida and Memphis to northern Wisconsin. Alabama, Georgia and Florida seem to ignore the RV's triple towing through their state. Once in Mississippi and headed north nobody cares. California, Oregon and Washington frown on the practice but we don't bring the bike with us on those trips anymore.
This is one of the better articles to help you along. http://www.doityourselfrv.com/rv-triple-towing-laws/
FYI Alaska tandem towing laws are very very strict and I will tell you that you cannot and let me put the emphasis on that, CANNOT tow tandem trailers in Alaska. I will see if I can find the information again. I do know it requires having air brakes and a couple of other special items...basically cutting out recreational vehicle tandem towing.

I have seen/helped tow trailers into Anchorage for folks that have been busted for the violation. Also know someone who tried to do it because they had a CDL and then never made 10 miles before they were pulled over and issued a ticket. At least they were close to home and just separated the trailers and made 2 trips.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:49 PM   #6
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Here is the Alaska law even though the references state that it is possible to tow recreational tandems.

13 AAC 04.205. Brakes

(e) No person may operate a motor vehicle on the roadway towing more than one vehicle unless the towing vehicle weighs more than 15,000 pounds, has three or more axles, and is equipped with an air brake system for both the towing and towed vehicles.

So you can tow a tandem trailer but the tow vehicle has to exceed 15k have 3 or more axles and be equipped with air brakes.

So as for the references given for your answers....don't trust them. Call the state troopers where you will be traveling. You may find yourself several hundred miles from home and impounded. Not worth the risk...

If you are like me, your buddy can do it all day long without ever a second look....me I pull out of my driveway and I get a ticket.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:11 AM   #7
1jeep

You don't think that weight will be pushing the limits of that gas engine? I have a friend with a similar truck, his has the 4:30 gears and he tows a montana, he feels he is pushing it.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:36 AM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Yes so true, toy haulers are not going to be a plush as other 5th wheels, part of the unit is a garage. where the garage is designed to haul your toys, tie downs, nickle plate on bottom of walls, washable floors , etc. I personally would not take the risk of towing a separate trailer for toys. sort of like "I can tow that"
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:19 AM   #9
AbHDToyHauler

I love the Toyhauler layouts. Hardest part of selling our home someday will be letting go of my two garages . Fell in love with toyhauler concept as soon as I saw the "garage"
And they are plenty plush enough for me. Everyone is different .
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #10
travelin texans

When we retired thought a TH would be great to haul toys/tools, but we looked, looked, looked & never found one that met the toy/tool requirement + living requirements, small living areas, very small kitchens, tiny closets & the absolute worst tv locations in the living area, usually all seats were 90 degrees & mounted above doors so looking straight up. So opted for no toys & minimal tools & don't regret it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:31 AM   #11
K_N_L

We enjoy having the bike secured and out of the way when needed and that the garage turns into the grandkids room once we setup camp. Figure once this phase is over and we either snowbird or full time it, a class A and a trailer will be our next preference to give us more indoor living area.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, toy hauler