Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2018, 06:30 PM   #101
Ksupaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
Okay I just ran my little experiment. As I said earlier I have an Atwood 35k BTU furnace in my 2018 Keystone Cougar. I have two duct outlets in the floor. With the furnace running I'm getting a temperature rise at the closest duct of 100-110 degrees above ambient. The duct is about 3 foot from the furnace. The other duct is about 8 feet away and I get about 80-90 degrees rise there.

So I'm getting a temperature of just over 150 at the closest register when the temperature in the trailer was in the upper 40s. If it was 70 in the trailer I would expect to see about 170-180 degrees. That's very close to what you are getting.

Bottom line is it seems like it's working as it's supposed to.

I agree with the others that perhaps this is due to water soaking the floor at some point around the register. Or it could be the heat causing discoloration somehow.

I know that my trailer had water in it from leaking access doors in the pass through storage area when I got it. A big puddle on the floor next to the bed. It could have easily gone to the where the floor register was if I hadn't fixed it.

So if it was me I wouldn't be too worried. But I would continue to work with the dealer to resolve the floor discoloration though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I am late to this ball game but wanted to say my experiments in a previous thread showed results almost identical to what is quoted above here. I was getting temps between 145-165 depending on what was being shot with the infrared at the two closest vents. No discoloration on floor in my 2018 Cougar........yet. It only was used about 6 nights in the cold though.
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:24 AM   #102
Nomadicchefs

I attached a picture of what the linoleum looks like on the underside. The repair tech was a no call, no show. My luck. Anyways, here is some pics. Again, any input is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180322_101601.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	15695   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180322_101627.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	15696  
Nomadicchefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:49 AM   #103
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicchefs View Post
I attached a picture of what the linoleum looks like on the underside. The repair tech was a no call, no show. My luck. Anyways, here is some pics. Again, any input is appreciated.

The linoleum doesn't look brittle or melted, and the wood doesn't look like it's suffered any heat damage. It looks like it's discolored from staining or something leeching into the linoleum vs. heat related. Is there anything on the underside of the vent cover which may have caused the discoloration? After the heater has been running and reached normal operating temp, and with the vent cover in place, have you felt the linoleum by hand to see just how hot it getting? Can you smell any burning or other odor if you are at floor level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:55 AM   #104
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
The linoleum doesn't look brittle or melted, and the wood doesn't look like it's suffered any heat damage. It looks like it's discolored from staining or something leeching into the linoleum vs. heat related. Is there anything on the underside of the vent cover which may have caused the discoloration? After the heater has been running and reached normal operating temp, and with the vent cover in place, have you felt the linoleum by hand to see just how hot it getting? Can you smell any burning or other odor if you are at floor level?

I've pulled the vent cover off and the metal thing that lips around the floor, neither have any discoloration, etc on them. We've pulled the panels to look for water leak or anything and can't find anything. There's no smell from the flooring at all. I will let the heater get up to full temp and feel the flooring and see if it's not.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:04 AM   #105
sourdough
Site Team

What if the top linoleum material is just very susceptible to heat....even a smaller amount and it causes discoloration to the top material over time?

If you had a small piece you might be able to see what it does if it's contacted with a piece of metal at 140 degrees or something? Hair dryer? Heat gun? Just thinking "out there"....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:07 AM   #106
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
What if the top linoleum material is just very susceptible to heat....even a smaller amount and it causes discoloration to the top material over time?

If you had a small piece you might be able to see what it does if it's contacted with a piece of metal at 140 degrees or something? Hair dryer? Heat gun? Just thinking "out there"....
I took a small sample of linoleum from under the sink, 3 different tests, even one using direct heat and it didn't turn colors like the floor, in fact, it just wrinkled up and turned crunchy. I just let the furnace run a full cycle with the register cover off, and temped the linoleum around the opening at 140-145 degrees.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #107
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicchefs View Post
I took a small sample of linoleum from under the sink, 3 different tests, even one using direct heat and it didn't turn colors like the floor, in fact, it just wrinkled up and turned crunchy. I just let the furnace run a full cycle with the register cover off, and temped the linoleum around the opening at 140-145 degrees.

Try it again, but leave the cover on and see if the cover is radiating heat onto the linoleum. Or, if you have an iron, hold it on another piece and see if it discolors.

Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:43 AM   #108
vampress_me

After seeing the latest posts on the flooring, I’m really wondering if it isn’t something else discoloring the vinyl and not heat. All vinyl I’ve seen that has burnt, or close to it, ends up discolored the whole way through, not just the surface. And the cut edges of this just isn’t discolored looking from the pictures. Add in it’s not stiff, is still pliable, and there’s is no smell? I just don’t think it’s getting too hot for the vinyl and that it isn’t burnt.

My next step would be taking a piece of the flooring that you’ve already cut out, and all the pictures we’ve seen here, and next time you are in town stop in at a flooring store. Not a Lowe’s or Home Depot, but a true flooring store with educated people and get their opinion on what may be going on. I would think they may have some good ideas.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:49 PM   #109
FlyingAroundRV

Something that I don't think nomadicchefs has mentioned yet: When did you first notice this? How old was the trailer? Did you notice this all of a sudden or has it been coming on slowly? Did it appear after the trailer had been sitting empty for a while?
The timing of the progress of this may give some clues as to the time frame required to see some results from the tests you're conducting.
Also, please test the edges of some cut scraps with various solvents to see if you can get a similar result. I still wonder whether some solvent based adhesive has attacked the ink layer.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:34 PM   #110
Ken / Claudia

FYI, I was getting trailer ready for this season. I ran the furnace and found the metal bouncing from 120 to 130 F depending where I pointed the laser at the nearest vent to the furnace, I have 2 more floor vents and the bathroom vent. Each was less, I did not write the numbers down. But, I believe I was seeing a 20 to 30 degree lower on the floor vents when I pointed it at the same spot. The bathroom is a plastic low wall vent and it was much cooler.
I checked the exhaust opening at the metal in the crossed center area read 215F.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:12 AM   #111
Nomadicchefs

Another update: thank you all for ideas, advice and experiments testing your own furnace output. I had a gas furnace tech look at the situation. The max output for the furnace is 200 degrees, and the vent reaching 185 is apparently still within this insane output measure. He thinks it's extremely hot, but not at what suburban considers to be dangerous. The vent opening seems to have been cut too large and did not align with the ducting the first time they cut it. Because of this, the hot air is escaping out from the "boot" that connects the flooring with the duct work. We have trimmed out the linoleum just to the edge of this piece, so that the metal isn't resting on it, but is instead resting on the wood. So far, this has stopped the darkening, there is no further heat damage to that area. It's only been a couple days, but I will keep an eye on it and see how it goes. As for it being a furnace problem, it is running as it should within its limits. Keystone, Suburban, Airxcel, nor my dealer were of any help. Lesson learned.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:16 AM   #112
chuckster57
Site Team

Thank you for the update. I will have to store it in my memory bank should I ever run across this issue. This situation is what I would consider a rare one and as such I can understand why it confused so many different people.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:29 AM   #113
CaptnJohn

That is the Amish craftsmanship they all brag about. [emoji16]

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, vent