Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2018, 05:15 AM   #41
CaptnJohn

My last 5er was a Cougar that came with TK tires. I had no trouble in the 90 minutes I had them and drove 43 miles from the dealer to the tire shop. There Carlisle RH were put on, before the new HD series were out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:58 AM   #42
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
I see Providers are mentioned in a positive light. Does anyone have real experience with them? The 5er I have on order will come with them.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
I have Provider tires on our 2017 Laredo. About 2500 miles on them and currently in Florida heading back to Ohio in April. I plan on keeping them for 4 years before replacement. I am not scared off by the fear mongering that is rampant on forums. Show me statistical failure data for a given tire.

I have had many blowouts on USA made Goodyear and Firestone tires
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171014_112044.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	15379  
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #43
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
I have Provider tires on our 2017 Laredo. About 2500 miles on them and currently in Florida heading back to Ohio in April. I plan on keeping them for 4 years before replacement. I am not scared off by the fear mongering that is rampant on forums. Show me statistical failure data for a given tire.

I'm not sure I would call posting the events of a tire failure, or recitation of those issues, fear mongering; simply warning others of events experienced.

When reading on this forum and others of the failure rate of a particular tire or tires you find that a particular brand/manufacturer has a terribly high failure rate mentioned (actual experiences) vs other commonly used tires that is a red flag and should be viewed as such. When researching the failed tires and finding that they come from a particular factory(s)/province in China then posting that info, that is not fear mongering - it is posting data to be used however one sees fit.

When a person reviews all this information, determines they don't want to take a chance on a particular tire, buys a different brand then posts that they did, and in many cases follow ups on their performance; that is not fear mongering - simply useful information.

In my case, I view the information as advice; to be used or discarded. I've been told you shouldn't hit a semi head on at 70 mph. I've even seen pictures of it but never experienced it; and hopefully never will. I don't view the one telling me that as a fear mongerer - just useful information that I can either log and put to use or ignore. YMMV
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:25 PM   #44
Frank G

Here we go, all I asked for was the statistical data on Provider Tires. What I got was a lecture on not conforming to the Top ten posters. Show me where Provider tires are not as good as anything else on the market.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:38 PM   #45
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Here we go, all I asked for was the statistical data on Provider Tires. What I got was a lecture on not conforming to the Top ten posters. Show me where Provider tires are not as good as anything else on the market.
If you go to the Provider tire website, they'll state that their tires are the "best on the market", if you go to NHTSA website they'll give you information that's been reported (most by mandatory reporting requirements) from dealerships and a couple of angry private owners....

As for statistical data to compare that specific tire to others? I'm not sure that information exists in a form that's available to the average consumer....

Maybe, after a couple years, you can start that process by reporting your success/failure experiences with Provider tires. Then this forum would have information available to offer. I suppose what I'm suggesting is that since you're in "uncharted waters", watch out for solid objects just below the water's surface and, if you do find any, mark them and let us know......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:52 PM   #46
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Hmm, where we going?? I simply stated that I didn't think I would call the posts by members telling of bad experiences with tires or tire choices and why they made them "fear mongering". I explained how I view those posts and why. I was trying to point out, politely, that the use of "fear mongering" while talking about the posters of those experiences is in "bad form"; it is derogatory. Instead, you attack because you feel you didn't "conform" to.......what? My expectations.... I also said not a word about Provider tires, but I did say people can make whatever choices they want using whatever criteria they want. Oh, for your edification:

fear·mon·ger·ing
ˈfirˌməNGəriNG/
noun
noun: fear-mongering
the action of deliberately arousing public fear or alarm about a particular issue.
"his campaign for re-election was based on fearmongering and deception"

You're welcome! Also, I've not read nor hear anything good or bad about Provider tires. I believe a lot of suggestions were given in other threads on how to determine where they were made so you might have an idea of what you are getting into (fear mongering?). John also gave some insight on how you might benefit others with your experiences if you are of a mind to.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #47
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Maybe I missed it before, but I do not remember the name Provider tires being mentioned before on the forum. At least not until a post made yesterday. I thought it was a misprint and the poster was referring to some unknown Original equipment tire that came with his rig.

I think that we're all interested in learning about a tire that is quality, safe, proven and at a good price that is out there. That's why so many have flocked to the Carlisle radials. Having a choice would be a good thing. Nothing wrong with that.

Spring, please hurry up and get here. The natives are getting restless. Amen

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:12 PM   #48
busterbrown

Provider tires are manufactured for a company out of Texas known as Taskmaster Components. eTrailer.com sells many of their products. The Provider ST tire line specs can be seen here:

http://taskmasterproducts.com/produc...der-st-radial/

Carlisle tires have more brand recognition due there availability and recent positive track record. The largest tire retailers in th US are all selling them. Providers, I have no clue.

I think many of the unknown brands manufactured in China have developed a negative following due to "fitment reserves"...in other words, reserve load capacities that tend to "conservatively" meet DOT/NHTSA requirements for a RV manufacturer's coach in new condition. With age and environmental factors, the reserve load capacities are tested in a very short amount of time. It's my understanding that Carlisle has considerably improved upon their recent product line, hedging against premature tire failures.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:52 PM   #49
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you go to the Provider tire website, they'll state that their tires are the "best on the market", if you go to NHTSA website they'll give you information that's been reported (most by mandatory reporting requirements) from dealerships and a couple of angry private owners....

As for statistical data to compare that specific tire to others? I'm not sure that information exists in a form that's available to the average consumer....

Maybe, after a couple years, you can start that process by reporting your success/failure experiences with Provider tires. Then this forum would have information available to offer. I suppose what I'm suggesting is that since you're in "uncharted waters", watch out for solid objects just below the water's surface and, if you do find any, mark them and let us know......

I agree with this. I don't know of any tire shop that sits down and logs the blown tire that came into the shop then reports it to anyone listing manufacturer, date of manufacture, size, type, LR etc. It just doesn't happen as far as I know.

With the lack of that "statistical data" the only things we are left with trying to assess the quality of a tire are personal inspection, construction of product provided by manufacturer, data compiled by the NHTSA AND feedback from owners who have had the product that provide their experiences....("fear mongerers"?) Sorry.....putting the poking stick back someplace where I hope I can find it another day....
Old 02-22-2018, 03:59 PM   #50
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Maybe I missed it before, but I do not remember the name Provider tires being mentioned before on the forum. At least not until a post made yesterday. I thought it was a misprint and the poster was referring to some unknown Original equipment tire that came with his rig.

I think that we're all interested in learning about a tire that is quality, safe, proven and at a good price that is out there. That's why so many have flocked to the Carlisle radials. Having a choice would be a good thing. Nothing wrong with that.

Spring, please hurry up and get here. The natives are getting restless. Amen

I think spring has sprung here!! 83 today, bright sunshine, the water is deep blue, beauuuuuutiful! Downside; humidity about 80% (we like about 6% ) and no see ums so thick you breathe them if you go outside . On the upside, sitting here eating grilled, bacon wrapped fresh shrimp with jalapeno slices. Here's hoping that all the folks still in the cold have a quick turn around and the weather turns beautiful for you as well!!
Old 02-22-2018, 04:10 PM   #51
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think spring has sprung here!! 83 today, bright sunshine, the water is deep blue, beauuuuuutiful! Downside; humidity about 80% (we like about 6% ) and no see ums so thick you breathe them if you go outside . On the upside, sitting here eating grilled, bacon wrapped fresh shrimp with jalapeno slices. Here's hoping that all the folks still in the cold have a quick turn around and the weather turns beautiful for you as well!!
For sure. Mmmmmmm......shrimp (in Homer Simpson voice).

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 02-22-2018, 05:56 PM   #52
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I agree with this. I don't know of any tire shop that sits down and logs the blown tire that came into the shop then reports it to anyone listing manufacturer, date of manufacture, size, type, LR etc. It just doesn't happen as far as I know.

With the lack of that "statistical data" the only things we are left with trying to assess the quality of a tire are personal inspection, construction of product provided by manufacturer, data compiled by the NHTSA AND feedback from owners who have had the product that provide their experiences....("fear mongerers"?) Sorry.....putting the poking stick back someplace where I hope I can find it another day....

I have been thinking about this comment. Initially, when the thought/term came up I thought it was funny. Unfortunately, it is not what I want to do when posting on this forum nor the way I want to convey myself. I AM pretty forward and expressive but have only the welfare of the members in mind. I don't know what everyone thinks but I figure I am considered one that is opinionated (yes), makes long posts (yes), aggravating to some etc.

I am going to express my thoughts and opinions; at times I'm sure to the chagrin of some. My intentions are only to express my thoughts and opinions - not "poke a stick" to cause a confrontation. On the other hand, I will assuredly respond to caustic remarks as I always have....

With that said, I buried the "poking stick" this evening.....under the carcass of the 6' alligator that px$$ed me off by wanting to attack my puppy.....puppy's OK, I'm missing 6 40 cal. hollow points and the gator's missing a tail (they're good)......... Just kidding Good evening to all...........
Old 02-22-2018, 06:34 PM   #53
ChuckS

I think the Provider G rated tires coming on the newer Alpines will be a fine tire. It’s 14 ply rated at 4400 lbs load range at 110 psi.

My 2014 Alpine came with Trailer King E rated tires.. 2015 was first year Alpine upped the tire load range. If mine had had those they would still be on it

I installed a set of GeoStar 14 ply G rated when I replaced my E rated TK tires with only 2000 miles of service.

Why... because they have a bad rep, E rated is not enough load range for any size Alpine.

I’ve run four seasons of use with my “Off Brand” 14 ply tires ... and no they ain’t ST tires and I’m comfortable with that

I run 110 psi cold, tow at 62, and unless I see signs of cracking, bulging, etc I’ll run at least two more years.

What would I buy to replace these with? Sailun G rated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:40 PM   #54
Tbos

Other than captcolour getting the “boom” one word response previously I don’t believe I’ve seen negative comments on the providers. The Keystone rep was adamant they were good tires. If you know of people that have negative issues with providers please pass links or titles of those posts so I can review them. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:41 AM   #55
notanlines

First, Tbos, I believe two people: Keystone reps and the person who says the Rooskies aren't doping at the Olympics. I think you are on the right path by asking questions on different forums and asking people "in the know" for their opinions.
Secondly, Sourddough? "alligator wanting to attack my puppy" Which was in the other's territory? Remember, 'gators gotta eat, too!"
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:43 AM   #56
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
First, Tbos, I believe two people: Keystone reps and the person who says the Rooskies aren't doping at the Olympics. I think you are on the right path by asking questions on different forums and asking people "in the know" for their opinions.
Secondly, Sourddough? "alligator wanting to attack my puppy" Which was in the other's territory? Remember, 'gators gotta eat, too!"
That's what the yappy neighbors puppy is for.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 02-23-2018, 07:35 AM   #57
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post

Although there was no attack it was in a marshy area bordering a lake in a park we go to every day; it does warn of alligators. Puppy was on a leash with me. Gator was sunning on a beautiful warm day watching us. I was the one apprehensive after sighting him; he was about 50' away - don't know that I was in his territory since I try to give them their space. My little scenario above is what I would have done if he had decided to move. He didn't but we did. I figured no need to "poke a gator" needlessly. They're not very aggressive right now but mating season is coming in a couple of months causing them to be much more dangerous. Several folks have lost pets at this lake in the past but usually because they let them play in the water or wander the shoreline in the marshy areas. April - June we stay in the middle of the park.

Yep, gators gotta eat too but they don't realize they carry a lot of good "gator bites" in their tail if they get too frisky..... Of course FWC might not take kindly to me trying to carve up a gator I just shot.....
Old 02-23-2018, 10:12 AM   #58
srvnt

Quote:

The only ST tire made in the USA is the new GY Endurance, which I have over 10,000 hard miles on and still looking good. You must be referring to LT tires?

2013 Passport 2890RL GT
2015 Silverado CC LTZ 4x 2500 Duramax
HB Cal
srvnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:10 AM   #59
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvnt View Post
The only ST tire made in the USA is the new GY Endurance, which I have over 10,000 hard miles on and still looking good. You must be referring to LT tires?

Glad to hear that. My TK's will be coming off this spring and I will be going with new Endurance from my local Goodyear dealer.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:28 PM   #60
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvnt View Post
Yes, the Goodyear's were LT type on a year old 4-Star, 4 Horse slant load with LQ and tack room. Goodyear told us to pound sand, Lost two on one trip and one earlier. Replaced with Michelin Rib Tires and never another issue. This was 25/30 years ago. In the same time frame lost a couple of Firestones on the P/U.

The point I was trying to make was ALL manufactures have Failures and recalls. Watched a 3 year old Documentary this morning where there at over 3 Million recalled tires on the road or in the for sale racks in this country. God help us. No, there apparently is no one place to type in your tire info to find out if it has been recalled.

Tags
tires