Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2015, 07:48 AM   #1
gtsum2

Grey water not draining

Not sure where to post this, but I have a 2015 fusion 345 chrome and went to drain the main great tank this morning (shower one) and the handle pulls out (in the convenience center, not the secondary one on the frame) and there is resistance (doesn't feel any different then when I drained it last week) but nothing comes out...at all. Do dribbles, nothing. We r to leave Thursday for another trip and I am fairly certain the odds of me getting it into the dealer and fixed and back before then are slim to none. Any ideas?
Old 07-26-2015, 08:24 AM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Have to ask, are you sure there is water in that tank? Not uncommon for some campers to leave the gray tank valves open. Now if there was water backing up in the shower and you pull the correct valve and nothing comes out got problem. Would ask if you checked tank level indicators but those are a joke.

If you know you have water in tank and are pulling the correct handle, only thing I would do and have done this is lower the belly cover and see if you can see the value move in this case open when the handle is pulled.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #3
Pull Toy

Assuming that the gate valve is operating, I can't think of any reason for the grey water not to flow.If you are safely "hosed-up" to the dump station, try pulling the BLACK handle. With Keystone's rep for poor labeling, it might be the "other" one.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:29 PM   #4
gtsum2

well, the grey tank handle is hard to pull out and push in all of a sudden...went to dump station and flushed out the black tank several times and a lot of stuff came out...did this until it ran perfectly clear...tried operating the grey tank handle during and after and before this and it would dribble out and then nothing. I ran water in the shower with the grey tank valve open and all of a sudden it started dripping out from under the body somewhere...and then a big gush of water came out the sewer hose...and then that stopped. So I have no idea??

I am thinking the pipes are loose under the shower drain and that is causing the leaking as taking the shower drain cover off and putting a coat hanger down there seems like the pipes are all loose underneath, but I cannot understand how or why some water then came out of the sewer hose and then stopped after 2-3 seconds?

In order to pull the belly back I would have to take off at least 15ft of it, and the spare tire holder, as well as what appears to be metal bracing for the holding tanks...just to get a look up in there......hmm...

Unit has operated flawlessly for the last 3 months as we have about 29 nights already in it. We have birthday celebration planned and reserved for this weekend and 3 other reservations already made for next 5 weeks, so hopefully dealer can get a look at it, but I am not optimistic about turn around time.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:50 PM   #5
hankaye

gtsum2, Howdy;

Could be some construction debris, a bad cable (if that is the type of
valve system you have), or a sticking pull handle extension. Best way
to find out is as was mentioned, drop the chloroplast and have a look-see.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:05 PM   #6
gearhead

Call the selling dealer and beg.
If no luck, call another repair shop and beg some more. Promise them you will buy all your RV junk from them.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:28 AM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
well, the grey tank handle is hard to pull out and push in all of a sudden...went to dump station and flushed out the black tank several times and a lot of stuff came out...did this until it ran perfectly clear...tried operating the grey tank handle during and after and before this and it would dribble out and then nothing. I ran water in the shower with the grey tank valve open and all of a sudden it started dripping out from under the body somewhere...and then a big gush of water came out the sewer hose...and then that stopped. So I have no idea??
I am thinking the pipes are loose under the shower drain and that is causing the leaking as taking the shower drain cover off and putting a coat hanger down there seems like the pipes are all loose underneath, but I cannot understand how or why some water then came out of the sewer hose and then stopped after 2-3 seconds?

In order to pull the belly back I would have to take off at least 15ft of it, and the spare tire holder, as well as what appears to be metal bracing for the holding tanks...just to get a look up in there......hmm...

Unit has operated flawlessly for the last 3 months as we have about 29 nights already in it. We have birthday celebration planned and reserved for this weekend and 3 other reservations already made for next 5 weeks, so hopefully dealer can get a look at it, but I am not optimistic about turn around time.
gtsum2; Valve operation very similar to my black tank valve, sometime very easy to pull and then next camp site can hardly pull the handle. WTH

Finally got aggravated enough to drop the under belly cover enough to get a look and get my hand in there to move around the foil insulation After empty tubes of caulk and other construction stuff fell out got a good look at the insanity:

It was a cable activated valve with the pull handle located straight on about 3 feet from the actual valve.

The YOHOs at the factory installed a cable at least 6-7 feet long looped in the opposite direction and pinched between the frame and floor

That cable had no restraints other than where it is caught between the frame and floor. Seems like it was lying on the frame when the floor was attached to the frame.

Appears that the long cable with no restraints just moves around as you travel. Based on position cable ends up in determines how easy or difficult it is to activate the valve.

Thinking about removing that cable from between the frame and floor, shortening the cable, adding cable restraints, and if required looping it in the correct direction depending on the length I end up cutting it at. Looks like may even be possible to remove the cable and add a shaft from handle to valve.

I did notice that with the plumbing on the Raptor the bathroom gray and black tank feed into a common 4". I have noticed as I dump the black some crap back flows into that gray tank section. I make a point to flush the black tank and make sure I have enough water in the bathroom gray tank to flush it after the black tank is clean. Usually when I pull that gray valve a considerable about of CRAP is seen getting flushed out. That CRAP if not flushed out of that gray tank section could hardened and block the draining of the gray tank in the future. Just a thought.

As far as water dripping from the under belly could be shower piping not glued properly.

Believe me it is very entertaining to look into these rigs
An adult drink before opening the under belly may help
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:52 AM   #8
gtsum2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
gtsum2; Valve operation very similar to my black tank valve, sometime very easy to pull and then next camp site can hardly pull the handle. WTH

Finally got aggravated enough to drop the under belly cover enough to get a look and get my hand in there to move around the foil insulation After empty tubes of caulk and other construction stuff fell out got a good look at the insanity:

It was a cable activated valve with the pull handle located straight on about 3 feet from the actual valve.

The YOHOs at the factory installed a cable at least 6-7 feet long looped in the opposite direction and pinched between the frame and floor

That cable had no restraints other than where it is caught between the frame and floor. Seems like it was lying on the frame when the floor was attached to the frame.

Appears that the long cable with no restraints just moves around as you travel. Based on position cable ends up in determines how easy or difficult it is to activate the valve.

Thinking about removing that cable from between the frame and floor, shortening the cable, adding cable restraints, and if required looping it in the correct direction depending on the length I end up cutting it at. Looks like may even be possible to remove the cable and add a shaft from handle to valve.

I did notice that with the plumbing on the Raptor the bathroom gray and black tank feed into a common 4". I have noticed as I dump the black some crap back flows into that gray tank section. I make a point to flush the black tank and make sure I have enough water in the bathroom gray tank to flush it after the black tank is clean. Usually when I pull that gray valve a considerable about of CRAP is seen getting flushed out. That CRAP if not flushed out of that gray tank section could hardened and block the draining of the gray tank in the future. Just a thought.

As far as water dripping from the under belly could be shower piping not glued properly.

Believe me it is very entertaining to look into these rigs
An adult drink before opening the under belly may help
You nailed it on all accounts! I took out the fake wall in the front storage and looked around. The grey valve cable was looped around the water pump and was pinched to almost 90 degrees. Fixed that it works smoothly now. Dumped water down the bathroom sink to verify plumbing and heard it drain into the grey tank. Pulled valve handle and voila, water came out! Shut valve and water stopped!

Noticed the shower pipe coming down had a white plastic collar/plumbing nut on it..it was not connected to anything. Appears the pipe coming down from the bottom of the shower is loose, and then factory never connected it correctly to the down pipe that goes into the grey tank. So it was just sitting there and must have gotten knocked around a bit with travelling until the pipes didnt line up and there is my leak. Insulation is damp, but not soaked and the wood is dry. Going to open up belly a little on that side to get some air in there and dry it out.

So, all the above explains my issues...(I just found this all out this morning as I woke up and decided to open that panel and see what I had). Thanks a bunch for the help and advice! Getting a plumber friend out here today to see if he can get it fixed up (as long as he can actually get back in there...my wife did as she is small, so we will see).
Old 07-27-2015, 06:18 AM   #9
Campy

Congrats on your finding and fixing it yourself!! If a person has no ability to work on these things then they are at the mercy of the dealers. We all have had issues at one time or another and the willingness to just "go after it" and tackle the repairs is a trait we all can appreciate!