Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2019, 10:02 AM   #1
GrumpyG

Lost Door Key Help

I have lost my door keys for my 23RB Passport. I had a locksmith out, but he couldn't match the blank needed. So I either need to find a cylinder that I can use in this lock, or a replacement lock. I know there are locks out there, but Iif I have to replace the entire thing, I'd like to get the same one. Any help would be appreciated.

Current Door Lock:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv Lock.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	22439  

GrumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:30 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Looks like a FasTec door lock assembly. Take the inside plate off the door, you'll find a paper sticker with the lock cylinder/key number. With that number you can order replacement keys here: http://www.fastecindustrial.com/products/hf300.html

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:35 AM   #3
GrumpyG

Problem Solved.

I contacted Wesco, who sells FIC locks. They told me this particular lock is exclusive to Keystone and isn't on their website. The kind lady I spoke with is sending me a new set of cylinders w/keys for $12.

Just FYI this particular lock is called a Leo Lock and they still are made.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:37 AM   #4
GrumpyG

Well shoot!

I coulda saved $12. Thanks JRTJH

Old 06-24-2019, 11:54 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Just a bit of "background history" about the Leonardo Lockset which is made in Italy.

FasTec had a problem with their RV locksets for a number of years. People were getting locked inside their RV with no way to get out. Back in September 2013, FasTec did a recall of a few locksets but realized quickly that the problem was far more extensive than originally thought. They could not keep up with production AND replace the defective locksets being returned by consumers. This created a shortage of RV locksets in the whole RV industry.

Keystone went "offshore" to buy locksets. An Italian manufacturing company contracted to provide the Leonardo lockset to Keystone. The lockset requires a different shape and size hole in the door, so Keystone contracted for doors "preconstructed to fit" the new lockset dimensions.

As luck (if you want to call it that) would have it, FasTec caught up with production faster than expected which left Keystone with doors in stock that would not fit the FasTec locksets, so Keystone elected to keep using the Leonardo locksets on some model RV's until the inventory was depleted. That meant some "unique RV doors" were provided to consumers. Once the Leonardo locksets were no longer being installed, there was a "oh no moment" when Keystone realized that there was no "CONUS" support for the locksets that were no longer being installed, but that were in broad use and beginning to fail.....

So, to fast forward to today, FasTec does have support for the Leonardo lockset, they even have some replacements for defective locksets although they are becoming more and more difficult to find.

I'd suggest you be very careful with your Leonardo lockset, if it breaks or if you can't find replacement parts, you won't be able to find a replacement lockset that fits that "odd shaped hole" in your door. Some people have constructed aluminum plates to fit over the existing hole and then cut a new hole for the new lockset. That seems to be the only way I've heard of for owners to replace their defective Leonardo lockset without buying a new RV door, a major MAJOR expense for a $30 broken lock......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:51 PM   #6
GrumpyG

Might be prudent of me to add a complete Leo doorlock kit to my inventory. Thanks John.