Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2019, 05:57 AM   #1
mwemaxxowner

Automatic level indicators

So, most of the camping I've done was in the 90s and early 2000s. When I owned my last camper I used wooden blocks, wooden chocks, and a torpedo level to set up.

I'm excited about bringing my camper experience this time into the 21st century. Technology has come a long way and is fairly cheap in a lot of cases. I'm looking forward to adding things like tpms sensors to the trailer tires, a backup camera on the camper (which I can tie into the SCT Livewire I already have in the cab on my dash), but I'm most intrigued by the various automatic leveling indicators I see online.

There are several options I've seen and maybe some I haven't. Y'all have any suggestions?

I REALLY like one I see that is wireless from CIPA that has a display I can see in the cab, but it just has a red and green light on all four corners to indicate level or not. I like it because I can see it in the cab, but it doesn't show how MUCH of a change is needed.

The one I'm thinking most about getting is this:

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack...s/HM0820K.html

Seems priced well, shows me front to back and side to side level at the same location, and also gives an idea of how MUCH change is needed.

I've even seen someone mention using the Anderson leveling chocks and set those up, then just watch for the green light as they pull forward. That sounds awesome, but those chocks seem really expensive to serve a purpose I could do almost for free with a little less convenience.

If I did it that way with the leveling chocks, seems like maybe I could do that with just the CIPA unit that has the remote I can see in the cab. Even though it doesn't tell me how much I need to go up, pull forward until I have the green light.

By no means have I decided to surely go with one of these two, they're just on my radar. Leaning more towards the Hopkins. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190608-095509.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	22147Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190608-095611.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	22148
mwemaxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:18 AM   #2
GaRoadRunner

I had used
LogicBlue Technology LevelMatePRO - Bluetooth Vehicle Leveling System on our 23' TT and liked it. Using your smart phone as a monitor it tells you how much you need to adjust from side to side and front to rear.
GaRoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:41 AM   #3
mwemaxxowner

I'll look it up!
Old 06-08-2019, 07:17 AM   #4
mwemaxxowner

That looks awesome. How accurate did it seem to be? What is the actual device itself like? All I find are pictures of the phone interface. Are there 4 sensors one for each corner? A single sensor that operates off of a bubble level type of idea?

It's a little more expensive than I was hoping, but it seems like it checks all the boxes and might be worth it.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:29 AM   #5
GaRoadRunner

It's a small rectangle unit that can be mounted anywhere on a vertical wall. I had mine just inside the front storage compartment so that after backing into spot I got out turned it on and it would tell you which side needed raising and how much. Then I would move just enough and place what ever leveling blocks just where the tires where and position the trailer on them. If your using the wedge type I would backup and it changes as your moving and stop after it says your level. Chock the wheels, unhook and raise or lower the front to adjust. It has a on/off switch to keep from running down the small disc battery inside. I did notice that after a long period of use I would periodically check for true level inside floor and you can reset the unit.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:55 AM   #6
GaRoadRunner

On the website watch the video and it explains and shows you everything.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #7
mwemaxxowner

I found it, and I believe that's the product for me!
Old 06-09-2019, 05:26 AM   #8
mwemaxxowner

I stumbled across a few things yesterday. First, I found something that's essentially the same as the Levelmate but a little cheaper.

The WoBLR. The reviews I find seem positive, and it seems very accurate, but it hasn't been around as long. It also seems to have a better battery life.

However, I also found something that does it for FREE! (If it's accurate) There are a few phone apps that use the phone's native sensors to detect the level, and you put information about the trailer in just like the other devices and it calculates the number of inches needed to get to level.

The most popular one I'm seeing is "Truma" and some preliminary testing in my house shows that it works.

With the great low price of free, I'm thinking I may use that the first time I use this camper, and level it old school. But, as I do so, explore the app and the phone to see how well it does.

I can use a TeamViewer app to take over my wife's phone from my phone screen while I'm in the truck while her phone lies on the camper floor running the Truma app. Or I could just peek in the camper as I work. For a $100-$140 dollar savings I could deal with that. [emoji1]
Old 06-09-2019, 05:54 AM   #9
Wyldfire

Levelmate pro combined with anderson levelers you don't even worry about inches just drive slowly till phone shows you are level
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:32 AM   #10
GaRoadRunner

Hey I have the one in the camper I'm trying to sell as a option for $90, if you decide to go with the unit I could pull it out and ship to you. $90 + shipping. The battery life has been good, as long as you remember to turn it off, its still going after year and half.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:33 AM   #11
mwemaxxowner

Let me mull it over. I can get the WoBLR for a little less than that new. I'll search more reviews to see if the LMP is worth spending more.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:32 AM   #12
mwemaxxowner

I wound up with a secondhand WoBLR for $65. It's awesome!

I set the camper up with a level, and before we left installed the WoBLR and set my home position on it. Then when I got home I backed it in and used my Camco leveling chocks on the low side and my WoBLR to tell me when to stop. Extremely easy. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190714-182816.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	22886