Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2019, 11:24 AM   #21
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Most fivers have a tank on each side at the front of the unit. My old ‘97 Jayco 323RKS had both on the curb side at the front and 2 batteries on the curb side just behind the axles.

Yeah thought it was odd my 5th has both tanks on drivers side.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:04 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Most fivers have a tank on each side at the front of the unit. My old ‘97 Jayco 323RKS had both on the curb side at the front and 2 batteries on the curb side just behind the axles.
My Cougar XLite is configured the same way. Both propane tanks are on the driver's side and the battery compartment is on the curb side. Both are at the very front corners of the trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:23 PM   #23
gkainz

My Laredo has both 30 lb bottles on the drivers side front corner and the 1 original battery box right next to it inboard. I added 2 more batteries from there to about amidship.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:52 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_frank_d View Post
My OP referencing "long trips" is a bit vague, I admit, but it's clearly not about the money. More explicitly stated, when camping at 9000 feet and 50 miles from the nearest propane, I want to have the most capacity possible without dragging the extra weight/inconvenience of more tanks through the mountains. Money isn't the primary motive for the thread, but just to maintain factual accuracy for the discussion, the per-unit price of propane for exchange is almost double that of a refill (~$21 per 20lb exchange vs. $12 refill, not just $1-$2 difference)

I get it. I used to do the same thing and needed the max on everything I took to last as long as it could before I made that 70 mile drive to get gas, groceries, ice, LP etc.

I'm thinking though that I would try to go with the larger tanks. They are heavier, but not that much unless you are just loaded to the max.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:54 AM   #25
BadmanRick

Propane tanks are federally and state regulated. They are filled by weight with a 10% expansion regulation. Therefore a 20 lb tank weight is actually 18lbs. All new tanks must comply with federal regulations.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:06 AM   #26
DucBill

FWIW new unused tanks contain air sometimes under pressure (depending on atmospheric pressure) which must be purged prior to filling, failure to purge will result in reduced propane fill volume. jM2CW from 1st hand experience.
400W Solar, 5.5k CO.
DucBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:40 AM   #27
murfscot

Tanks, a lot

The 20 lb propane tanks are designed to accomdate 20% expansion when filled with 20 lbs, so there is no reason to underfill your 20 lb tank. In other words, 20 lbs of propane fills the tank to 80% of it's volume, allowing 20% for expansion.

Blue Rhino uses their own proprietary valves, so that you cannot have the tanks filled elsewhere. Then they only fill 15 lbs and charge you a flat rate based on a full tank. If you are willing to trade convenience for a higher cost and a partially empty tank, then I guess it's not a scam (?).

Here's a great write up addressing both issues, and a bunch of other good info about propane.

http://www.elivermore.com/propane.htm

Cheers!
murfscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:52 AM   #28
thefulminator

I had the same problem once. The tank had not only propane but air in it as well. When the tank was near empty the attendant bled the air out using the vent valve.

The empty weight of the tank should be imprinted on the handle surrounding the valve. You can weigh the bottle with propane in it and subtract the bottle weight to determine the quantity of propane it is holding. See https://modernsurvivalblog.com/preps...ank-really-is/

Last year I purchased a 20lb bottle with gauge for my bbq at Costco for $25. Since it was a brand new tank, I know exactly how much use/abuse it has seen. It won't have to be replaced for 12 years.

We all bleed Orange and Black, GO BEAVS
thefulminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:17 PM   #29
Clays390

Product liability

The biggest concern most propane fillers face is overflowing of the cylinder. It appears Blue Rhino has made sure this does not happen by installing an OPD valve that is set for 75% vs 80%.
Clays390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:42 PM   #30
Ken / Claudia

When dry camping I take a extra tank and it is a 20 lber. 2 reasons, when 1 goes empty on the trailer I have a replacement and I can pick it up easier than the 30s. I also leave the tank cover at home so I can see the gauge. I don't know or care if they hold or take XX. I just fill and pay. At the time of the OPD tanks, I paid for 2 20 lbes to be upgraded and recertified and filled. It costs to damn much. Just buy a new tank on sale cheaper. I see the Blue Rhino displays around here, but I just buy and keep my own tanks. About every gas station has propane for sale.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:48 PM   #31
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfscot View Post
The 20 lb propane tanks are designed to accomdate 20% expansion when filled with 20 lbs, so there is no reason to underfill your 20 lb tank. In other words, 20 lbs of propane fills the tank to 80% of it's volume, allowing 20% for expansion.

Blue Rhino uses their own proprietary valves, so that you cannot have the tanks filled elsewhere
First, a 20 lb tank cannot hold 20 lbs of propane, simple basic math with a little physics thrown in. Second, I have not bought a new propane tank for my grill or smoker at home for 20 years. When my tank ages out, I pick up a Blue Rhino, rip the plastic wrap off and use it, fill it, use it, fill it over and over until it needs recertification and then turn it in at Blue Rhino and do it all over again.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:13 PM   #32
murfscot

Basic math with a little physics thrown in

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
First, a 20 lb tank cannot hold 20 lbs of propane, simple basic math with a little physics thrown in. Second, I have not bought a new propane tank for my grill or smoker at home for 20 years. When my tank ages out, I pick up a Blue Rhino, rip the plastic wrap off and use it, fill it, use it, fill it over and over until it needs recertification and then turn it in at Blue Rhino and do it all over again.
A gallon of propane weighs ~ 4.25 pounds. The 20 lb tank is full at ~4.7 gallons; 4.7 x 4.24 = 20 pounds of propane. When your tank is full, the total weight should be 20 lbs of propane + the tare weight of the tank (stamped on the side and typically ~17 lbs). So, if your tank is truly full, the total weight should be around 37 pounds.

The reason Blue Rhino and others under fill is purely economic. When propane prices skyrocketed, they started putting 15 pounds in the tanks and charging the same price, claiming that they weren't increasing the price like everyone else. They got in trouble for not disclosing this and are now required to note that it's under filled relative to the capacity of the tank.

Cheers!
murfscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:30 PM   #33
B4Keystone

Original post had OPD (I suspect Over Pressure Device), at 15 Pounds. Lol .
Has anyone checked, lately, the pressure temperature chart for propane?

https://images.app.goo.gl/D1J867nPefZQPXZ88

Being a licensed gas technician in natural gas and propane fuels..... there should be a little screw on the side of tank valves, this port is connected to a dip tube that is at 80% full. (Been a while... but there used to be)
Tanks can be filled until liquid comes out that loosened screw.
If anyone questions you, ask to see their qualifications that allow them to fill your tanks.
Just my opinion and qualified to handle propane in my area.
Qualifications vary greatly.

These days I'd have to go to trailer to verify. Lol
B4Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:09 PM   #34
chuckster57
Site Team

OPD-
Overfill
Prevention
Device
?? That’s what I’ve always heard it stood for.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:15 AM   #35
Dblhack

I have a 20 lb tank that is about half empty. I planned on going to a local LP place and have it topped off before my trip. (In the past I always just waited until they were empty, but since I am planning on an extended camping trip, I wanted to start with the max LP I could get in one tank).

Are you all saying that I can't top off a half empty tank? Or are you saying that they would need to purge it first and I pay for the full tank after that?

2018 Keystone Hideout 177lhs (Ethel)
2015 F-150 V-8 (Fred)
Dblhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:12 AM   #36
B4Keystone

Quote:
OPD-
Overfill
Prevention
Device
?? That’s what I’ve always heard it stood for.
Omg.... thanks. That never occurred to me.
Makes sense.
B4Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:22 AM   #37
Eastham

Take it to a refilling station and they will fill it and you should pay for what gas they put in .yesterday I filled at tractor supply and they put in 4.6 gallons @$2.79 bill was $12.83.for 19.5 lbs .I checked on Cape cod and to get a 15lb Rhino exchange it was $21.99.thats a big difference in price to also get 1/4 of a tank less propane at Rhino.15 lbs compared to 19.5 lbs.Both using 20 lb tanks.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:32 AM   #38
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblhack View Post
I have a 20 lb tank that is about half empty. I planned on going to a local LP place and have it topped off before my trip. (In the past I always just waited until they were empty, but since I am planning on an extended camping trip, I wanted to start with the max LP I could get in one tank).

Are you all saying that I can't top off a half empty tank? Or are you saying that they would need to purge it first and I pay for the full tank after that?
No - most places will fill it/top it off. Some places may have a minimum charge. The purge is only needed on new tanks that need the air purged out ... once.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:10 PM   #39
Wingerdinger

My local gas station is my propane supplier. I asked them once, and I also watched as he told me.. they put the tank on a scale, zero it out, and fill it til it's 20 lbs (or 30 lbs in my case) on the scale.
They also sell exchange tanks, filled by a supplier, and he told me that the supplier only fills those to 15 lbs because by federal law, they cannot bulk transport them full. The price is much higher for an exchange tank for convenience, and there is a statement on the cage that the tanks are 15 lbs.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:49 PM   #40
chuckster57
Site Team

Out here it’s sold by the gallon.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank