Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2017, 12:39 PM   #1
bschmuhl

winterizing part 2

Can i pour the RV anti-freeze directly into the fresh water tank then turn the pump on to push the anti-freeze through my lines?
bschmuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:47 PM   #2
gkainz

yes but takes a lot more antifreeze than letting the pump pull from the 1 gallon jugs using the winterizing bypass.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:51 PM   #3
thanket

Smile Option #1

I use this: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-pump-kit/4411

Takes two people, one outside pumping and one inside to turn on the different faucets and shower. I have used the pump on my trailer before but this is very easy to use. Just hook up to city water inlet, switch the hot water heater bypass, and start pumping. Takes maybe 10 minutes.
thanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:51 PM   #4
MarcS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
yes but takes a lot more antifreeze than letting the pump pull from the 1 gallon jugs using the winterizing bypass.
+1

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2017, 12:55 PM   #5
gkainz

I can winterize my rig in about 10 minutes as well.
Turn the water heater to bypass.
Turn the water pump to bypass.
Stick the hose on the pump bypass into a 1 gal jug of antifreeze
Go inside and turn on the pump.
Open a faucet and let it run until it runs pink, close it and move on to the next one.
Half way thru I can hear the pump run the jug empty, so go back outside and move the hose to the second gallon jug, go back in and continue through the rest of the rig.

Takes 1 person, 2 gallons of antifreeze and about 10 minutes.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #6
cynjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
I can winterize my rig in about 10 minutes as well.
Turn the water heater to bypass.
Turn the water pump to bypass.
Stick the hose on the pump bypass into a 1 gal jug of antifreeze
Go inside and turn on the pump.
Open a faucet and let it run until it runs pink, close it and move on to the next one.
Half way thru I can hear the pump run the jug empty, so go back outside and move the hose to the second gallon jug, go back in and continue through the rest of the rig.

Takes 1 person, 2 gallons of antifreeze and about 10 minutes.
This is what I've always done as well, but what about the water that remains in the system between the city connection inlet and the fresh water fill/city connection selector valve? My last unit didn't have that, but I'm concerned about that remaining water freezing up. I may pick up one of the hand pumps linked above to force some anti-freeze into the city water connection as well as using the water pump/bypass to winterize the rest of the trailer.
cynjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:20 PM   #7
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynjon View Post
This is what I've always done as well, but what about the water that remains in the system between the city connection inlet and the fresh water fill/city connection selector valve? My last unit didn't have that, but I'm concerned about that remaining water freezing up. I may pick up one of the hand pumps linked above to force some anti-freeze into the city water connection as well as using the water pump/bypass to winterize the rest of the trailer.
Thanks for reminding me ... (and add 2 minutes!) I have an adapter fitting on my outdoor shower - remove the shower head and screw it into the city water connection. (Also into the black water flush connector)

I guess thinking about that, I could just make that connection first and route everything thru the system that way?
Old 09-27-2017, 01:34 PM   #8
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschmuhl View Post
Can i pour the RV anti-freeze directly into the fresh water tank then turn the pump on to push the anti-freeze through my lines?
Sure, you can do this, but if you do, you're letting yourself in for extra expense and a lot of extra time required.

First, as already pointed out, you'll need more antifreeze. Unlike the winterizing kit that sucks the antifreeze directly from the jug to the system, you'll need to add several more gallons to get enough fluid in the FW tank for the pump to pull through.

Second, in the spring, you'll have to do a lot more filling and flushing of the FW tank to get all the antifreeze out and to get all the taste and odor out. It's not harmful, but everyone will complain about it until it dissipates.

Many RV's come from the factory with one of several different types of winterizing kits already installed. The higher end units that have the convenience center usually have a winterizing port there. Others will have the two-way valve and suction hose already installed on the pump.

If your rig doesn't have the winterizing kit, I highly recommend that you get one, install it, and use it. There are a couple of different versions, but they all do pretty much the same thing. This one installs right on the pump with no hose cutting, etc. required. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...rizer-kit/6279 The one I bought 6 years ago came with hose barbs and clamps. I cut the FW feed hose right before the pump, inserted the barbs and valve, and tightened up the clamps. Almost as easy.

For normal operation, the valve allows water to flow from the the FW tank to the pump. To winterize, you drain the FW tank, flip the valve, insert the suction hose in a jug of antifreeze and pump away. I can do my 36' Cougar fiver with two gallons and that includes pouring some in each drain trap. Any left over goes in the holding tanks to protect the drain valves.

There's already plenty of instructions on winterizing here in previous threads so there's no need to reinvent that wheel, but you now know why pouring the antifreeze in the FW tank is not the best or easiest or cheapest method.

If your rig doesn't already have a winterizing kit installed, get one. You won't regret it.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:33 PM   #9
Gegrad

Yep, I drain all my lines, bypass the hot water heater, and dump 5 gallons of RV anitfreeze in the fresh tank and pump it through every faucet and toilet. Done.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterizing