Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
Paterson931

2016 Avalanche - leaks

So I took my 2016 Avalanche our this weekend with the family for the first time this year. I hook up at night and then go to settle in for the night. I hear the water pump working but nobody is using water.

I investigate and did that in the storage area below the master bedroom there is a trail of water. I then note that there is water and a drip around the toilet. Next, the kitchen faucet is leaking and finally I see another leak from another connection in the storage area. So - I have spent a fortune on my “dream” fifth wheel and can’t shower, cook or use the toilet in it.

To put icing on the cake, in the morning i went to hook up the pipe to the grey/black tank and even though the lever is in the closed position I got showered in the contents of the tanks!!

Can anyone tell me if they have experienced this kind of horrible quality?

Does anyone know how much this will cost me to repair? (Warranty has expired)

Anyone taken this poor workmanship issue to court?

Thanks
Paterson931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:40 PM   #2
bobbecky

Just like everything else on these rolling earthquakes, things come loose. All those water connections probably just need a little tightening. We had several connectors loose right after purchase. The Father-in-law just purchased a new trailer, and less than a month after taking the rig home, the connector under the kitchen sink was leaking, just took a little tightening to fix that problem. The sewer leak could be caused by a faulty seal, pretty easy to take the valve apart and either install new seals or just reposition them. It's also possible that you have something jammed in the seal which is causing it to leak, and that would not be a workmanship issue. Oh, welcome to the forum
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:41 PM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully you've found all the surprises. Just curious, did you winterize your unit for the winter? The leaks sound a lot like frozen and broken fixtures rather than build quality.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:10 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Chip touched on my thoughts. Even though you live in Texas, to have the water pump running, the toilet leaking, multiple faucets leaking and the slide valve on a holding tank leaking, all on the first trip of the season (after de-winterizing) would surely cause anyone to suspect whether the trailer was properly winterized. If it's a 2016 trailer and worked fine at the end of last year, I'd strongly suspect that something happened to the plumbing between the time it was put in storage and the time it was de-winterized.

ADDED: Go to this link: https://cdn.ltvdns.com/leisurevans.c...tic-Toilet.pdf Download the Dometic toilet manual, look at figure 5. If your toilet valve looks the same (has either separation at the seal or a dimple in the freeze indicator, it's a pretty good bet that the trailer wasn't properly winterized and the rest of your problems are also "freeze related"....

Usually, "quality problems" surface "one at a time". To have so much go wrong with the plumbing, on the first use after winter, isn't an indicator of quality issues, rather it's an indicator of improper winterization.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:16 AM   #5
jsmith948

The valve for our galley tank was leaking. Turned out to be a poorly routed cable that was binding and not allowing the valve to close - even though the handle was pushed all the way in. Re-routed the cable by rotating the position of the valve 180*. I would also suggest that you get a "last chance" valve for your sewer connection - $15 - to prevent future surprises.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:47 AM   #6
mhbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
I would also suggest that you get a "last chance" valve for your sewer connection - $15 - to prevent future surprises.
I always get one on every RV I've owned. Very good Idea.
Mel

Tags
leak, leaks