Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2018, 06:35 AM   #1
Redangus

252fwrls

Thinking about trading my 2012 252FWRLS 5th wheel in on a 2017 252FWRLS to get auto leveling and camera ready. Have had no issues with the 2012 but reading bad reviews on newer Keystones, any advice or should I keep what I have?
Redangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:47 AM   #2
notanlines

Red, might I ask where you have been reading these reviews? BBB? Complaint sites on Facebook? Twitter fritter?
You may have noticed that there are few sites for an individual to log on and brag about their product. Most are for complaints and whining only.
When was the last time you called for the manager in a restaurant to brag on the waitress or food? See where I'm going with this?
How about taking a stroll around a local RV park having a short conversation with owners of RV's of similar size to the one you're interested in? It wouldn't take but a couple hours and then see what you think.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:37 AM   #3
Redangus

I take negative posts with a grain of salt, I know people are more likely to complain than compliment. Just looking for advice. I don’t want to trade in a sure thing and regret it later. It’s obvious that the the cabinets, for instance, are lesser quality in the 2017. But there are also upgrades!
Old 05-10-2018, 06:47 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The trailer you're looking at, I believe is a Springdale 253FWRLS. If so, realize that the Springdale is a "hybrid construction" trailer, built with aluminum bonded Styrofoam sidewalls, but has "clear spruce/pine" floor joists and the front/rear are constructed with wood. The structure is spanned with wooden roof joists that are built with glue and staples.

Springdale (I owned one) is a good trailer and offers all the "bling" of the more expensive trailers, but not the durability and upgraded components. Have you looked at any Laredo, Cougar XLite, Sprinter fifth wheels? You might be very surprised what the extra $3000 will get you in "trailer upgrades to quality components" (like all aluminum construction, etc) and you may, with some aggressive negotiations, find that the "out the door price" is the same as the Springdale 253.

I'd urge you to do some "side by side" comparisons (even if it means travelling some distance to compare other brands).

I'm not demeaning Springdale trailers, they are good, reliable RV's, but for the same price, you can often find a trailer "further up the food chain" for the same price, especially now, with the 2018's being "last year's model" and 2019's sitting on the lot or at the factory waiting transportation.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #5
Redangus

The 5th wheel that I’m looking at is a Keystone Sprinter 252FWRLS 2017 leftover, they are now w a discontinued floor plan. I currently have a 2012 Keystone Sprinter 252FWRLS that has never been in the shop as it has never needed any repairs.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:40 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redangus View Post
Thinking about trading my 2012 252FWRLS 5th wheel in on a 2017 253FWRLS to get auto leveling and camera ready. Have had no issues with the 2012 but reading bad reviews on newer Keystones, any advice or should I keep what I have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redangus View Post
The 5th wheel that I’m looking at is a Keystone Sprinter 252FWRLS 2017 leftover, they are now w a discontinued floor plan. I currently have a 2012 Keystone Sprinter 252FWRLS that has never been in the shop as it has never needed any repairs.
In your first post you say you're looking at a 253FWRLS (a Springdale model), in your last post, a 252FWRLS, a Sprinter model. I don't have any experience with Sprinter except to see them on dealer's lots. Good Luck with your negotiations and potential purchase.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-10-2018, 12:11 PM   #7
Redangus

Sorry, I corrected it. Typo!
Old 05-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Thanks, proof-reading really improves the ability to get good information when members offer advice or make comments. It's sort of like this statement:

Let's eat grandpa. or Let's eat, grandpa. The comma is vital in understanding whether it's cannibalism or suppertime at grandma's house.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS