Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2018, 07:14 AM   #1
JodyD

Grey tanks

What does grey tank one and two empty? do I have two tanks? I have two on the control panel but only number two is showing full?
JodyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:33 AM   #2
Jwiles58

You probably have a grey tank for the shower/bathroom sink and one for the galley. You should have two pulls to empty the tanks as well.
Jwiles58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:01 AM   #3
Dorrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyD View Post
What does grey tank one and two empty? do I have two tanks? I have two on the control panel but only number two is showing full?
For the galley our handle is located in a great spot (can you hear a bit of sarcasm). The galley handle is underneath the slide. The shower/bathroom sink is next to the black tank handle.
Dorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:42 PM   #4
notanlines

Jody, let's start with the most important question. What make, model and year is your RV. And welcome to the forum.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:17 PM   #5
busterbrown

Many trailers are built with the same components including central control panels for slides, tank level indicators, light switches, etc. Where one model may include 2 grey water holding tanks, another may only include one. Because the control panel is the same between both model lines, one of the tank level indicators may just be nonfunctional and always read "empty". This is the case of my Bullet. "Grey tank 1" is completely functional. "Grey tank 2" always lights up as empty.

Knowing which model you have can help answer your questions.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:21 AM   #6
KHBama

My Laredo has 2 gray tanks, one for bathroom and one for kitchen. I had no idea I had 2 tanks until I started noticing 1 of the gray tanks indicators always showed full. I found the valve handle below the slide underneath the trailer... Makes no sense to me. The handle should be with the other gray tank and black tank handles in the convenience center. Good news, my trailer now weighs about 230lbs less
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:30 AM   #7
travelin texans

As posted numerous times, the tank level indicators/sensors are totally worthless after you've filled the tank the 1st time. All the sensor cleaners, bags of ice, flushing or any other magic potions won't help, might help til filled again, I don't pay any attention to them.
My 5er with 3 tanks when new read 1/3, 2/3, 2/3 the day I towed it off the lot & they read the very same today regardless of what's in them.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #8
Jwiles58

Just got a reply back from Keystone on my 5er tank status. While their site shows 76 gallon grey water and 76 gallon blackwater, the truth is I have two grey water and two blackwater tanks. Keystone told me that the tanks are 38 gallons each. So the shower/front bath sink are on one 38 tank and the kitchen and rear sink are on the other 38. Needless to say one grey gets full really quick and the other doesn't have much in it.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:51 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

You might want to do a little "verification" on your tanks.

There are, as Keystone stated, two 38 gallon black tanks and two 38 gallon gray tanks. Where they dump, per your statement may not be correct.

On many trailers, the rear toilet and sink BOTH drain into the rear black tank, the galley drains into the rear gray tank, the upper bath shower/sink drain into the front gray tank and the upper bath toilet drains into the front black tank.

That is, "sort of" as you stated, with the exception of where the rear bath sink drains. You can determine where that sink drains in about 10 minutes, the next time you're camping with full hookups, just drain the rear black and gray tanks, close the valves, turn on the bath sink cold water, let it run for about 10 minutes, pull the gray handle and see if anything comes out. If not, pull the rear black handle. That way you'll know for sure.

It only becomes a problem if you're dry camping and decide to use a blue tank to empty your gray tanks (most of us don't empty black tank waste into the blue tank because of the problems cleaning it after use). You may "think" you're only using the rear black tank for toilet waste and actually be filling it by washing your hands and letting the water run in the bath sink without realizing where it is going.

Let us know what you find, others will benefit from your checks.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:36 PM   #10
Jwiles58

Great advise. I’ll post a reply soon

Tags
tank