Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 10:31 AM   #1
Pull Toy

Rhino Ramps

Has anyone tried a Rhino Ramp to lift the good tire far enough to change out a flat on the other axle?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/FloTool-D...09MI/205152558

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Old 09-17-2017, 11:41 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I would be skeptical for a number of reasons. First, they claim that these will support a vehicle with a GVW of 12,000 pounds. That "sounds like" 6,000 pounds for each ramp, but in actuality, what they say "at the bottom in small print" is that it will support one axle at 6,000 pounds, that's 3,000 per ramp. Whether your fifth wheel is heavier than 3000 pounds per axle side?

Second, and I think even more important is the length of the ramp and whether it will "clear the bad tire" with the "good tire" on the flat spot at the top of the ramp. In other words, with "narrow gap axles" will the second tire begin climbing the ramp when you pull far enough forward so the first tire is "on the flat part" ? I'd suspect that with the wide axle trailer suspension it would work on a lighter weight trailer, but on a "narrow width trailer suspension and on a trailer with more than 3,000 pounds on a wheel, I'd be inclined to think they would be overloaded and that you couldn't get the inflated tire on the flat wheel because the ramp would be in the way.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

My only thought is they are designed to be used as a pair for working on a car. I wouldn't use them for something they weren't designed for. I'll stick with my bottle jack.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:44 PM   #4
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Rhino Ramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
My only thought is they are designed to be used as a pair for working on a car. I wouldn't use them for something they weren't designed for. I'll stick with my bottle jack.

I agree. Using just one will exert some side force.

I never will understand the reluctance to use a simple bottle jack. Heck, I used the cheesy jack from my truck once (when I realized I wasn't level after setting everything up).

I never have liked the idea of putting all that weight on one set of springs (which is what you are doing when you lift the trailer up via one wheel).

A bottle jack is easy and safe. One tire stays on the ground and provides support... and you don't have to jack very high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2017, 02:16 PM   #5
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
I agree. Using just one will exert some side force.

I never will understand the reluctance to use a simple bottle jack. Heck, I used the cheesy jack from my truck once (when I realized I wasn't level after setting everything up).

I never have liked the idea of putting all that weight on one set of springs (which is what you are doing when you lift the trailer up via one wheel).

A bottle jack is easy and safe. One tire stays on the ground and provides support... and you don't have to jack very high.

X3
What a waist of space to store! I will trust my 12 ton bottle jack!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
Old 09-17-2017, 04:21 PM   #6
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
X3

What a waist of space to store! I will trust my 12 ton bottle jack!

Yeah...

And you could get away with a very wimpy bottle jack to change a tire (if someone was concerned about spending too much money on one... although they are pretty cheap).

A two-ton would suffice for most any camper. I think mine is a 20 ton and still doesn't take much space.

Old 09-17-2017, 04:46 PM   #7
gearhead

Trailer aid plus with a 1x6 under it. No wobbly bottle jack. But I carry one anyway.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
Old 09-17-2017, 05:17 PM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Trailer aid plus with a 1x6 under it. No wobbly bottle jack. But I carry one anyway.
Never had an issue with a wobbly bottle jack.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
Old 09-17-2017, 05:32 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Never had an issue with a wobbly bottle jack.

Same here.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:50 AM   #10
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
No wobbly bottle jack.

LOL. You either don't know how to use one (which is painfully simple) or you are being melodramatic to justify using the ramp.

Here are my issues with a ramp:
It takes up a lot of space
It only works if you have a good tire to use it on (think losing both tires because you ran over something)
You place the entire weight of that side of the camper on one tire/spring/spindle.
What do you use for triple axles?

A bottle jack is compact, inexpensive, easy to use and is a tried-and-true tool.

I guess there are a lot of people out there that have no concept of how to change a tire... so gimmicky products have been created.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:21 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Good Comments !!!

One of the reasons that I advocate for people to actually CHANGE a tire in their driveway is because of so many "gimmicks" that are on the market. People "envision" how it should work, buy it, throw it in the trailer and go camping. Many never find a reason to move that gimmick (other than to get to the stuff stored behind it) and they are the lucky ones. Those people who do have a blowout or a flat often find that their "gimmick" isn't tall enough, won't fit under the tire, won't lift the trailer or they find that they don't have the correct size socket for their lugs or they don't have a breaker bar long enough to "leverage the lugs" and loosen them.

I agree, far too many people simply don't have a good grasp on changing a flat tire on their trailer and until they really do have to "deal with it" they won't comprehend the task. This probably comes across as "harsh" but experience is the only way to actually know how to do the job and to assure you have the tools needed to complete the task. Few things are more frustrating than to be on the side of a busy highway with a blown tire and, under your breath, saying, "Darn, I thought my lugs were 5/8"......"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-18-2017, 05:00 PM   #12
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
LOL. You either don't know how to use one (which is painfully simple) or you are being melodramatic to justify using the ramp.

Here are my issues with a ramp:
It takes up a lot of space
It only works if you have a good tire to use it on (think losing both tires because you ran over something)
You place the entire weight of that side of the camper on one tire/spring/spindle.
What do you use for triple axles?

A bottle jack is compact, inexpensive, easy to use and is a tried-and-true tool.

I guess there are a lot of people out there that have no concept of how to change a tire... so gimmicky products have been created.

same to you bud.......
Old 09-19-2017, 04:39 AM   #13
gearhead

I probably should let this end with my previous post.
But I'm not.
There are a few people on this forum that are arrogant, condescending, know it all, blowhards. A member comes on here and asks a question and gets ridiculed and probably never comes back. We should be able to disagree and voice our opinions without being ugly.
Outback you are assuming too much if you think I can't use a bottle jack. I worked 40 years in turbo machinery for one of the largest global oil companies. I've seen and used hydraulic equipment of all kinds from Seattle to New York to Texas. There are times I think a bottle jack is appropriate, there are times I would rather use the TrailerAid.
My final words.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:48 AM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

And before this thread derails anymore, I am closing it.

Closed Thread