Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2016, 12:52 PM   #1
Edlees

Dometic Fridge Stops working in High Altitudes

Hi Everyone- I have a Dometic DM2852LBX in my 277RLSWE Cougar 5th wheel that keeps turning itself off at night in high altitudes (7000 ft +) in LPG mode. Dealer looked at the unit, cleaned components and could not replicate the problem since they are at about 800 ft above sea level.

I finally called Dometic and they basically told me the fridge is not guaranteed to work in anything over 5000 ft level on LPG. Use AC.

I have not read anywhere in Keystone's material that it had this limitation. I have not contacted Keystone yet, but as far as I am concerned, this a big omission on their part for West Coasters who frequent the high Sierras.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks,
Ed
Edlees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:29 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The Dometic refrigerator owner's manual, on page 3 has the following statement:

"OPERATING REFRIGERATOR AT HIGH ALTITUDE
All gas appliances experience lowered efficiency (or rating) at high altitude This is a direct result of lower atmospheric pressure and oxygen levels, and is not a defect of the refrigerator.
Reduced cooling performance and burner outage may occur at altitudes higher than 5500 feet above sea level (while operating on LP gas). Always operate refrigerator on electric power at altitudes higher than 5500 feet."

You should have been provided an "owner's packet" with manuals for all of the appliances, slide mechanisms, axles, brakes, hitch coupler and any other "specialty items" that were included with your RV as OEM equipment.

If you don't have that packet, you can download most of the manuals from the internet. If you have problems finding one, post here and someone will likely have a link to that information for you.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:07 AM   #3
Campy

I bet this is the reason most new "higher end" campers are going to residential fridge units and inverters to operate them. Seen a newer Sanibel camper and it was setup this way and had two G27 batteries up front and an inverter for the fridge, and remember your truck supplies the 12v power while your moving so the batteries shouldn't go dead.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:24 AM   #4
mfifield01

We took a friend's Puma to Moraine park two years ago and I don't remember any issues with the fridge on LP. The altitude stated is 8,160. We didn't have AC power, except for charging the batteries a few hours a day. Is this a hit or miss thing?
Old 09-22-2016, 08:35 AM   #5
Jgkopp

I would suspect a low voltage condition took down the RV refrig. They need close to 12 volt power to operate on propane and we have talked about this before, most of these RV refrig appliances have door heaters that take a lot of power to keep the door gaskets warm. Some units have a switch to turn these heaters off and some don't.

Anyway, low voltage could also more easily happen with the very cold environment of higher altitude, for a weak battery anyway.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ElygXOXXGSc
Jgkopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:33 AM   #6
Edlees

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The Dometic refrigerator owner's manual, on page 3 has the following statement:

"OPERATING REFRIGERATOR AT HIGH ALTITUDE
All gas appliances experience lowered efficiency (or rating) at high altitude This is a direct result of lower atmospheric pressure and oxygen levels, and is not a defect of the refrigerator.
Reduced cooling performance and burner outage may occur at altitudes higher than 5500 feet above sea level (while operating on LP gas). Always operate refrigerator on electric power at altitudes higher than 5500 feet."

You should have been provided an "owner's packet" with manuals for all of the appliances, slide mechanisms, axles, brakes, hitch coupler and any other "specialty items" that were included with your RV as OEM equipment.

If you don't have that packet, you can download most of the manuals from the internet. If you have problems finding one, post here and someone will likely have a link to that information for you.
Thanks, John. Yes I received the manuals, but somehow missed that statement. Thanks for pointing it out.
Edlees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:36 PM   #7
DenverCZBob

I ended up replacing my factory board with a Dinosaur board after having the same problems. Has ran great ever since. Yea it cost me a little but was worth it to me not having the problem or dragging it back and forth to the dealer only to hear "the fridge is in specs."

-bob
DenverCZBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dm2582, dometic, high altitude fridge use