Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2016, 05:15 PM   #1
mets721

Awning tie downs

Anyone using awning tie downs with the Cougar fifth wheel awnings? I've heard that you shouldn't use them with certain awnings and I'm not sure if the newer cougar awnings were compatible with tie downs.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:25 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Electric awnings are not designed to be used with tie downs. That being said, some people improvise and make their own. I don't use any and don't recommend using anything. If the awning is flapping simply push the button to retract it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:27 PM   #3
cpaulsen

I made my own pole and tie down set up for my electric awning.....worked very good........now I have a manual awning and still use my poles and tie downs.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:01 AM   #4
bagged123

re

I don't use any and after seeing a TT using them and the awning getting ripped off from the TT, I've decided not to use them or recommend them. If it's windy and your awning is flapping, roll it it. If it's tied down, there is no give for the awning to it can and could rip
bagged123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:28 AM   #5
Brantlaker

I used a set on my 2012 Cougar that worked very well. The day after i installed them we had winds gusting at 50+MPH and everything held up. I did not use them on my new 2016 Alfa as the design is different and I found out last winter in Florida when we were having Hurricane force winds and Tornados nearby I was glad that I didn't. People all around me at 2 in the morning were out in the rain disconnecting them.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:03 AM   #6
Mike484

The cost to replace an awning is way too much for me to gamble with the winds. Two rules of thumb I use; 1. If we are not using it (meaning that if we are not sitting under it), it gets rolled in. 2. If I wonder if there is too much wind, I roll it in.

I am in no hurry at all to have to replace our awning.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:23 AM   #7
denverpilot

Awning tie downs

I have a friend who's electric awning has survived some impressive stuff. The trick isn't only in the tie downs, it's also in stopping the "sail" from billowing. You have to run bungees over the top of the awning itself. If it can flap, it will tear apart. Doesn't matter what you do to hold the corners down once it starts slapping.

I just roll ours in.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #8
WaltBennett

Two previous TTs of ours had manual awnings and I used tie downs on both. One had a 22' awning and I was full-timing in it; left the awning out & tied down all summer long for three years with no problems at all. Our Monty has an electric one that has no where near as sturdy a frame and also is way too high to get a strap across easily. Kind of miss having some cover when it's raining, but there's no way to work something like that out on a fiver.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:38 PM   #9
cpaulsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltBennett View Post
Two previous TTs of ours had manual awnings and I used tie downs on both. One had a 22' awning and I was full-timing in it; left the awning out & tied down all summer long for three years with no problems at all. Our Monty has an electric one that has no where near as sturdy a frame and also is way too high to get a strap across easily. Kind of miss having some cover when it's raining, but there's no way to work something like that out on a fiver.
That is why I made pvc awning poles.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote