Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2015, 04:04 PM   #21
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondeegal View Post
We got the drawers out per your excellent instructions! Thanks!
Now, what we found was the the same as the original posting-panel had come loose in the corner, exposing some insulation. Trying not to disrupt original construction, stuck my hand in as far as I could and from what I can tell only thing in there is the insulation. SO, am wondering if it is the insulation that is causing the odor when the sun is beating on the nose cap.
We have had the unit since it was new, and did not notice it in the beginning. So my theory is that maybe the panel was sealed in the beginning, worked itself apart after a while and the opening is allowing the smell of the insulation to escape into the drawer area.
After we disposed of the brads that had worked their way out, we reattached panel by using about half a dozen #8 small x3/4 self tapping sheet metal screws to secure panel to corner strut. As there is no corner trim, used a small bead of caulking to fill in gap.
Headed to to Tucson, so will let you know if this sealed up the escaping odor!
Let me know how it goes, we're winterized till probably april. Sounds like we have the same thing, Wife and I said chemical smell. Didn't really notice it till about middle summer, drawers cubby is only place we smell it.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:59 PM   #22
Blondeegal

Still Have the Odd Smell

Well, my theory above, regarding the insulation has not panned out! Pretty disappointed we noticed the smell again.
Will keep you posted if we find an answer, and hope you will do the same. At least we have found someone with the same problem, and we are not entirely crazy!

2012 Cougar 327RES
2011 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
Blondeegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:44 PM   #23
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondeegal View Post
Well, my theory above, regarding the insulation has not panned out! Pretty disappointed we noticed the smell again.
Will keep you posted if we find an answer, and hope you will do the same. At least we have found someone with the same problem, and we are not entirely crazy!
Well, got the rig out and once again when the sun beat on the cap, bam instant smell. I had the drawers out again this spring, fixing the board that was laying behind the drawers(it was amazing keystone missed the stud with 2 screws), and did a little more looking in there for possible smell causes, and i didn't see anything that looked like mold or would have caused a smell. The smell is only in the TV hole. I'm going to call the place where the camper was originally purchased as it has an extended warranty on the unit and see if it is something that would be covered. If not, i think I'm going to take a utility knife and cut the paneling out of the TV hole and see what it is in there. The unit has been inside storage since December and the 2 weekends we used it so far this year it has not rained. I would hope its not a moisture issue.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:36 PM   #24
Blondeegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
Well, got the rig out and once again when the sun beat on the cap, bam instant smell. I had the drawers out again this spring, fixing the board that was laying behind the drawers(it was amazing keystone missed the stud with 2 screws), and did a little more looking in there for possible smell causes, and i didn't see anything that looked like mold or would have caused a smell. The smell is only in the TV hole. I'm going to call the place where the camper was originally purchased as it has an extended warranty on the unit and see if it is something that would be covered. If not, i think I'm going to take a utility knife and cut the paneling out of the TV hole and see what it is in there. The unit has been inside storage since December and the 2 weekends we used it so far this year it has not rained. I would hope its not a moisture issue.
Just spent the last 4 months in Tucson-our RV spot faced north-no odor. Got home, where our fifth wheel faces east, and gets a pretty good piece of the rising sun. Bam! We have the odor back.
Please keep us posted on what you find.

2012 Cougar 327RES
2011 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
Blondeegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:57 PM   #25
kfxgreenie

Called original selling dealer and extended warranty seller, and "smells" not covered. We like the unit other than this damn smell, so I took the plunge and tore into it. Slit the caulk pulled the trim and pulled back the upper corner of paneling. NO MOLD in the insulation no sign of water penetration thankfully. Then the old what the hell is the smell. Keep digging around and feel rubber, pull on it trying to figure out what it is and finally dawns on me that's rubber roofing EPDM. When they built the unit my unit and probably yours got the end of the EPDM roll and it did not get cut off and it got left in the cap about 2 feet down on our unit. Further more it is in between the cap, and the insulation. It gets hot and gives of the wonderful smell. I know this because i cut a chunk off and threw it in the microwave got it hot and bingo that's the smell. So now the repair is going to be a little more extensive. My guess is the excess EPDM is across the entire cap. So now the closet doors need to come of and all that panneling needs to be pulled down, the insulation slit, EPDM cut off, and re assembled. So now the next question, how do the closet doors come of? Thanks again for the helps!

Old 05-11-2016, 05:43 PM   #26
kfxgreenie

Well tonight i tore into it, and got it out threw 24" of chloroplast type insulation up on top and wedged it in with a fiberglass bat so it didn't move to reflect off what little i left cutting off with the scissors. Here's what was cut off, and the front tore apart.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:23 AM   #27
rjsurfer

What type of material did you pull down, is that a fiberboard or a flexible panel to get to that area in the closet.

And how did you manage to pull it down?

Thanks

Ron
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:30 AM   #28
kfxgreenie

Exclamation

It is a somewhat flexible wood paneling that many would call luan I believe. After removing the doors, and the Decorative "header" the paneling edge was exposed between the ceiling and the cap wall. I cut it with a sharp utility knife at both ends that were caulked, and then on the closet side of the "divider" wall, so i could get my hands up in there. On our unit it is pinned on with 18 or 22 Gauge brads that really don't hold well. I started with a straight screwdriver at one end and pry'ed a corner and pulled the rest with my fingers. It wasn't too bad of a job. When i reassembled it I used 1/2" pan head sheet metal screws at the top so it would be easier if I ever had to get back in there, you'd never see them, and pinned the trim.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:22 AM   #29
slow

Who would have thought it would be excess EPDM material? Glad you were able to figure it out and deal with it.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:36 PM   #30
Ken / Claudia

I have been reading thru this and am also glad you got the problem IDed and taken care of, who would have ever guessed. I was thinking something dead in the wall or mold.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:25 AM   #31
rjsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
It is a somewhat flexible wood paneling that many would call luan I believe. After removing the doors, and the Decorative "header" the paneling edge was exposed between the ceiling and the cap wall. I cut it with a sharp utility knife at both ends that were caulked, and then on the closet side of the "divider" wall, so i could get my hands up in there. On our unit it is pinned on with 18 or 22 Gauge brads that really don't hold well. I started with a straight screwdriver at one end and pry'ed a corner and pulled the rest with my fingers. It wasn't too bad of a job. When i reassembled it I used 1/2" pan head sheet metal screws at the top so it would be easier if I ever had to get back in there, you'd never see them, and pinned the trim.
Thanks, good info...

Ron
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote