Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
MicheleF

Question First FW, First RV, First Questions

Good Day -
Empty-nesters who are putting our retirement plans into motion, tho' we are still 7 years away from making that big step.

Just bought our retirement property (3 acres, about 2 hours east of Toronto), and our first RV, dubbed MaRVey - a gently-used 2010 Keystone Alpine, along with the 2010 Ford F350 King Ranch, Diesel Dually that pulled, and continues to pull, her. The duo is known as MaRVey and the Monster.

Very excited about this next phase of our life. We have been pseudo-camping in MaRVey - plugged into house current, but using the indoor facilities: water, fridge, and toilet facilities. That comes to an end in another week, when our new tenants move into the house. MaRVey will continue to be parked on the property, but at the other end of the property, where there is a large workshop, and 500 amp service.

Questions re water and tanks: Do I need to do anything to them, or just fill them? My mind says they probably need sanitizing or something, but I don't know how I would do that...

If I am attached by a hose to the water supply, I assume I don't need to fill the fresh water tank - but that the grey and black tanks will still fill as normal. Is that the case?

I am sure that I will have many more questions, and thanks in advance for your patience!

Michele
MicheleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. You assume correctly on the gray and black tanks. Have you made considerations for emptying them??? If you have sewer (or Septic tank) at the shop and you can find the exterior clean-out you can easily connect there. When at home I use a Flojet waste pump and a 3/4" garden hose to pump the waste to the clean-out on my house. I adapted the 3" cap to a 3/4" hose fitting so there are no fumes and it can be left connected for as long as needed.

To sanitize the fresh water system .. disconnect city water .... add a 1/2 cup bleach to the fresh water tank and about 5 gallons of water. Using the pump run each faucet until you smell bleach. Don't forget toilet, shower and outside shower if you have one. Let the bleach mixture sit in lines for an hour or two then drain fresh water tank and re-connect to city water and flush the lines till the bleach smell is minimal. The smell will go away quickly and it is safe to use.

Enjoy your back yard campground, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:19 AM   #3
GaryWT

Hi, welcome to the forum, good luck and enjoy. You will be set as long as you can dump your tanks, if you are hooked up to sewer you can leave your grey tank if you wish, that can fill daily with showers etc., just close it to get some water in it before dumping black tank.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote