Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2018, 05:55 AM   #21
Rolling Along
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Because it has the "scoop" out there on the slide doesn't mean it's not normal; thousands/millions of trailers have that design when crossing over the seam at a slide - I see them all the time. Your call to action is to fix what is going to be a problem. Some tell you it's not normal simply because they have no experience yet assume they are an authoritative source;

"Neither of my slides look that way. Doubt it is normal."
3-4 inch gap is normal? My slides are possibly 1 inch maximum! It may be normal for yours but it sure isn’t on mine. Maybe some models have a big gap but mine is only the thickness of the bulb seal of the slide itself and carry’s down to the aluminum faring and fender, both slides.
Rolling Along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:07 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

The OP's photo (in post #1) is at an "odd angle" so it doesn't depict how much (if any) that the slide fender overlaps the stationary part (if it does overlap) however, judging from the thickness of the slide corner molding, there's nowhere near a 3 or 4 inch gap. Possibly 1" or 1.5" at the maximum. A couple of clearer photos, taken at an angle that doesn't "accentuate the problem" but that give a more "straight on" view of how the trailer fender actually looks would be helpful.

In my view, even from the angle that the photo was taken, there's clearly not a "3-4 inch gap"......

ADDED: As suggested earlier by another member. Find a couple of the same model trailer and look at their fenders. If they're the same, then it's how the factory produces them. If they are significantly different, then make a decision on which is correct and which is not correctly installed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:37 AM   #23
kfxgreenie

I will take a guess that (3-4)" gap was supposed to be 3/4" gap.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:01 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
I will take a guess that (3-4)" gap was supposed to be 3/4" gap.
I agree. If a 3/4" gap is what Rolling Along was attempting to relay as normal, then yes, it's "normal" and few of us have fenders that are much closer than that.

On the other hand, if he was relaying that a 3 or 4 inch gap is "normal" in the form of a question, as a rebuttal to sourdough's post (which he quoted in his post), then that's a "horse of a different color" so to speak......

Either way, photos from a different perspective to more clearly show what's "really there" would be very helpful.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:45 AM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

I agree that verification would be nice on the exact depth of the gap. Fenders come in all shapes, sizes and designs. When looking at the pic I didn't think of 3-4", I saw what I was looking at and it looks much like mine. I went outside to measure but "alas", I forgot my slides are deployed and I'm not bringing them in to do this.

However, looking closer at mine it's like this; the "scoop" on the slide sits 1 1/2" out from the wall of the slide. Oddly, the same measurement on the wall of the trailer where it was cut is 1 1/8" which indicates that the fender sits a little differently on the slide vs the wall of the trailer. More importantly, the rubber seal for the slide is the same height as the raised portion of the fender on the trailer wall, 1 1/8", completely filling the void of that hole in that portion of the fender. Compressing the slide seal shows that it will not compress any closer to the wall than a minimum of maybe 3/4". When the slide comes in it will be set out by that amount PLUS the 1 1/2" scoop for a total offset of 2 1/4" plus the width of the slide exterior wall (5/16") equaling 2 9/16" approx. These measurements would indicate that my "scoop" sits about 1 7/16" above the inner scoop. Personally I think these observations are a little askew. I've worked on those scoops with the slides in and I'm pretty sure they will be 2" or possibly more. I'll check when I bring them in. Certainly not 3-4" but with the endless variations in fender styles I would not be at all surprised if they were; I've seen what appeared to pretty deep ones, but it's hard to throw a tape on them driving at 65mph.

Hopefully the OP can make some accurate measurements, compare both sides (if they have slides) and possibly observe other like units to see if what he has is normal.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:48 AM   #26
travelin texans

Mine looks very similar to the photo posted & most of that same brand are like it also. The fender is split by the edge of the slide on the door side, on the street side the slide is longer which puts the fender further back & no split. If the slides closed flush with the sides (which only very high end 5ers & some expensive class As do) the split wouldn't be nearly as obvious, but would still be split.
Ive added aluminum strap to mine to keep it from breaking, there's no way to make it more flush that I've came up with. Just something I've learned to live with.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:21 AM   #27
Rolling Along
Gone Traveling

I went out this morning, pulled my one slide in and took several pictures with a tape measure to show the actual measurement to post here. I chose the picture angled to make it look at its worse but the distance offset is 3/4 inch. The same as followed the slide wall into the faring/fender area. I took the OPs post at his word.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1DCA5FC2-7309-411A-8BFB-30F8962B793C.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	15334  
Old 02-15-2018, 04:34 AM   #28
Rolling Along
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I agree. If a 3/4" gap is what Rolling Along was attempting to relay as normal, then yes, it's "normal" and few of us have fenders that are much closer than that.

On the other hand, if he was relaying that a 3 or 4 inch gap is "normal" in the form of a question, as a rebuttal to sourdough's post (which he quoted in his post), then that's a "horse of a different color" so to speak......

Either way, photos from a different perspective to more clearly show what's "really there" would be very helpful.
“Neither of my slides look that way. Doubt it is normal.“

Reading comprehension will go a long way. In th OP’s post he stated 3 - 4 inches. I took him at his word. And taking numerous pictures this morning I found an angle that made mine look worse then they really are. I posted it above.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:44 AM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Along View Post
“Neither of my slides look that way. Doubt it is normal.“

Reading comprehension will go a long way. In th OP’s post he stated 3 - 4 inches. I took him at his word. And taking numerous pictures this morning I found an angle that made mine look worse then they really are. I posted it above.
Your right, your slides don't look that way. They look nothing like the OPs nor mine. Sort of like arguing if a football and soccer ball look different. Fenders come in all sorts of shapes, sizes and configurations. Because yours are 3/4" doesn't mean they all are or should be and certainly doesn't make it the "normal" for all other fenders. We'll wait for the OPs feedback. And, I thought you said you were "out of here"?? (Reading comprehension )
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slideout