Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2016, 05:59 AM   #1
Campy

Cutting off the awning roller tube

I need to shorten my roller tube by 5/8 inch to correct the misalignment by the factory. Is it possible to cut it off while its still on the camper? I can cut either end so my plan was to cut which ever end would be the easiest which i'm think is not the motor end. Could use sawzall or portable band saw but need to get this fixed so the awning will lay flat against the wall. The factory has the brackets misaligned and they don't overlap and lay flay.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:56 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Cutting off the awning roller tube

Unless you can cut the tube square, I wouldn't do it. If you look at the awning rail, there should be a small screw that holds the fabric at a particular position.

Take that screw out and you can move the fabric left or tight to obtain the correct alignment. Some manufacturers will "set" the fabric at the tube also. If your alignment is off the same direction at both ends, I would move the fabric not cut.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:40 AM   #3
Campy

Re: Cutting off the awning roller tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Unless you can cut the tube square, I wouldn't do it. If you look at the awning rail, there should be a small screw that holds the fabric at a particular position.

Take that screw out and you can move the fabric left or tight to obtain the correct alignment. Some manufacturers will "set" the fabric at the tube also. If your alignment is off the same direction at both ends, I would move the fabric not cut.
Your not getting what I mean by misaligned. It has a Lippert awning and the fabric is fine but the wall arms when folded up, the outer arm goes over the inner wall part. On my camper they have the wall pieces not mounted square and they overlap. If the roller tube was shorter they would go inside of each other and lay flat to the wall. The only way to correct it without cutting the tube would be to remove the crooked end from the camper and redrill and mount it correctly, thats out of the question since it would show a bunch of holes. Moving the fabric will simply move the misalignment from one end to the other,... understand??
Old 10-24-2016, 12:28 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

So both ends overlap "out" ? If one is out ant the other in then moving the fabric is the right fix.

If you talking 5/8" overall, moving the arms wouldn't take much and I bet no screw holes would show.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:47 PM   #5
Campy

Quote:
So both ends overlap "out" ? If one is out ant the other in then moving the fabric is the right fix.

If you talking 5/8" overall, moving the arms wouldn't take much and I bet no screw holes would show.
Both ends are out in opposite directions, the left side is out to the left and the right side is out to the right, does that make sense... the outer frame is too wide at the top only. So narrowing the tube will narrow the outer frame.

Here is the measurements I got off the wall mounts...
across the bottom 167-1/16
across the top 166-1/4
They have the top too narrow on the wall. Moving just one mount would that much would allow the holes to show so I would have to move both a little to keep them hidden, easier to cut the tube.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:59 AM   #6
Desert185

A gearhead solution.

-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:08 AM   #7
Mike484

Could you possibly cut the screw holes on the awning support so they are slotted, then move each support by 5/16" so the arms are aligned?

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:24 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike484 View Post
Could you possibly cut the screw holes on the awning support so they are slotted, then move each support by 5/16" so the arms are aligned?
Great idea. That would have been my choice as well. Either drill new "slightly oversized holes" to move the verticals inward the half inch or slot the existing holes. My only concern with slotting the verticals is keeping them stationary with the lateral forces from travel. With slots, you may need to add an additional bolt to keep things in position.

My very last choice would be cutting the roller tube. Granted, it would work, but the potential for a "miscut" or a "less than square cut" is much greater. If the roller tube is removed to cut it, the vertical supports are held in place with three bolts, an easy "adjustment" to loosen the lower bolt, redrill the upper bolt and adjust the center bolt based on the existing hole.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:43 PM   #9
Campy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
I always like Stacy David in his auto shows.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:14 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

I think it would be easier to move the mounts. Can't say I've ever seen what your describing.

If you do plan on cutting the tube, make note of which slots have fabric beads in them. Threading the fabric back on will not be easy, so IF you can, just move the tube enough to cut it. If you have to completely remove it, I would thread the fabric back on the NON cut end.

Good luck to you if you choose the cut the tube route.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:08 AM   #11
Timon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campy View Post
I always like Stacy David in his auto shows.
Awning tubes are not just round tubes but round custom extrusions. They need special care to cut them square.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:28 PM   #12
Campy

Quote:
I think it would be easier to move the mounts. Can't say I've ever seen what your describing.

If you do plan on cutting the tube, make note of which slots have fabric beads in them. Threading the fabric back on will not be easy, so IF you can, just move the tube enough to cut it. If you have to completely remove it, I would thread the fabric back on the NON cut end.

Good luck to you if you choose the cut the tube route.
Not even going to remove the fabric as it's about 3.5 inches away from each end and I only need to cut about 5/8 off one end. I have a portable band saw which will cut it like butter and will be a lot easier to keep it square. It's a winter project but I'll take pics and keep you updated.