Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2016, 07:11 AM   #21
SkiSmuggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic4 View Post
When I look at the Anderson hitches, even the steel version is around 75 pounds, which I could probably (still) handle by myself, and the aluminum version would be around 35 pounds. Yeah, the cost would have been higher in the long run, but that's convenience for you.
I have the steel rail mount version of the Andersen Ultimate and it weighs 42 lbs, not 75. I also have a short bed F350 and recently made an 85 degree turn with no contact and it looked like 90 would have been no problem. My fiver does have an extended pin box and I had to mount the pin adapter backwards to prevent contact with the bed sides.
Since I have the factory puck system, if I was starting from scratch, I would have gotten the Reese or Curt ball for the puck system and the aluminum Andersen to fit with that, but I already had the Reese puck picture frame adapter from my previous hitch.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:05 AM   #22
Vet4jdc

Just like some others have stated, you will get many opinions on this topic. I like the Pull-Rite hitch. I have the 15k Super Fifth that is "fixed". It has worked great for me even with a short bed F250 and I have never needed the "slide". I had a Reese slider first and hated the constant "klunking" sound of the moving part. I also like the positive connection of the "wrap around" hitch at the king pin as opposed to the clam shell of the Reese. Pull-Rite is made well and adjustable for height. Also, I can pull four pins and easily have a flat bed for use in hauling stuff. Good luck with your decision and your new fiver!!!!
Old 07-10-2016, 05:34 AM   #23
T11ravis

Only advice I have is don't go cheap. I did originally and it wasn't fun, tremendous amount of Chucking, etc. for 3 years.
I upgraded to a B&W Companion this year, wow, huge difference. Well worth it.
I don't think you can go wrong with Andersen or B&W.
WERA #13

'13 Raptor 300mp
'11 F350 6.7L CC DRW FX4
T11ravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:52 AM   #24
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
I have the steel rail mount version of the Andersen Ultimate and it weighs 42 lbs, not 75. I also have a short bed F350 and recently made an 85 degree turn with no contact and it looked like 90 would have been no problem. My fiver does have an extended pin box and I had to mount the pin adapter backwards to prevent contact with the bed sides.
Since I have the factory puck system, if I was starting from scratch, I would have gotten the Reese or Curt ball for the puck system and the aluminum Andersen to fit with that, but I already had the Reese puck picture frame adapter from my previous hitch.
The steel, no rail version of the Anderson hitch that fits on the gooseneck ball in the bed weighs 75#. The rail version you have is lighter because it is attached with the conventional bed rails.

I had a B&W turnover ball already, so the Anderson was perfect for my desire to have a clean bed without rails when the 5er hitch was removed. Unfortunately, that was before the lighter aluminum version was produced. No regrets on the Andersen Ultimate hitch.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:23 PM   #25
Pmedic4

Weight of Anderson hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
I was looking at the gooseneck mount hitch Desert185 was talking about. However, regardless, 75, 42, or 35 is definitely less than my current Curt Q16, by a lot!!!!

When I upgraded my truck, considered getting the Puck picture frame adapter, so I could use my then current hitch, but really didn't hear much about the picture frame mounts, and the cost to buy the frame really wasn't that much less than an actual puck mount hitch, which just logically seemed to be the more solid option. Overall, I'm happier with the Curt hitch than my previous hitch brand because of the way it latches in, and also unlatches. I didn't really know there would be that difference, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote