Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2016, 07:56 AM   #1
prorodeo

Battery Disconnect that doesn't

I was surprised when I returned to my 333MKS after a month in storage and the the two month old battery was dead. I had parked it fully charged and used the disconnect switch in the side bay. I was able to get enough juice connected to my truck (running) to raise the front jacks.

So I had the trailer in for some other warranty work, I asked my dealer why the disconnect switch didn't work. His reply was the factory switch doesn't disconnect everything in the coach and it will run down the battery. He told me, that's why on all the units he sells he installs a disconnect switch at the battery. I reminded him, he sold me this trailer. I now have a new battery disconnect switch installed at the battery on my coach at no charge.
prorodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:43 PM   #2
TomHaycraft

Title of your thread caught my eye. On Friday, I take delivery on a Grand Design Reflection 303RLS. I've been trolling the GD forum for the last month or two, saw a couple references for another line of the GD trailers, where power remains on to the CO, LP gas and possibly smoke alarm, despite the battery disconnect switch they like to point out in sales videos and such. Result, as you found, is enough parasitic drains to take down the battery over several weeks.

It is on my PDI checklist to ask about.
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:36 AM   #3
prorodeo

Hope it helped. It surprised me how fast little things like CO detectors and LED lights can run down a battery.

This is the first battery disconnect switch I've had. On my last two trailers I just disconnected the battery when in storage but I do like the convenience of just flipping a switch.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:35 AM   #4
dcg9381

My guess - and it's just a guess, is that this is more of a liability issue than a "whoops" in terms of installation. As soon as a manufacturer installs a disconnect that kills the C02 detector - and someone dies, it's a problem.

I call the factory versions "kinda" disconnects..
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:25 AM   #5
prorodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post

I call the factory versions "kinda" disconnects..
I like that. I'm getting my label maker out and making a "kinda disconnect" label to put over the factory label.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:58 AM   #6
1jeep

well the one in my carbon disconnects everything, not a light, nothing will work.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:13 PM   #7
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeep View Post
well the one in my carbon disconnects everything, not a light, nothing will work.
Checked the actual battery draw? Or looked at the lights on the C02 detector?
Definitely did not connect everything on my Carbon 327. 2 deep cycle batteries would be dead in a few weeks. Lights dont function in my trailer with the factory cut off, but if you look, the C02 detector is still on and I'm sure a few other things.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:26 PM   #8
1jeep

I know this because recently I got my trailer back from the dealer as they needed to replace the furnace bd and they shut off my battery. it took me 30 minutes to figure out why nothing in the trailer would work with no shore power. the entire trailer was dead and I have 3 batteries.

BTW...im not the OP with the issue.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:24 AM   #9
cw3jason

propane alarm, landing gear/jacks, and slide outs will all still work with factory disconnect in the disconnect position
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:54 PM   #10
MerlinB

I have a 2016 Cougar XLite 28SGS and when I started looking at the battery wiring I discovered the disconnect switch actually disconnected only the Ground Control 3.0 leveling system. Everything else on the 12 volt system was still live including the interior lights and those parasitic things that will drain your battery like the propane detector, etc. It appeared to me that either the engineer who designed the system didn't know what he was doing or the manufacturing tech who wired it couldn't follow instructions. So, one of the first mods I did was to replace the original wimpy 12 volt battery with two 6 volt golf cart batteries. To complete that installation I relocated the battery disconnect switch and wired it so that the positive lead from the batteries goes directly to the switch and everything else is connected after the switch. Problem solved!
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:36 AM   #11
xcntrk

I have observed the same in my Toy Hauler. The battery disconnect doesn't disconnect all power. For me, the landing gear is still useable and the accessory fuel pump system. I have also heard the generator prime circuit continues to remain powered as well. Totally understandable that the battery eventually runs dry during long term storage..

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:14 AM   #12
CWSWine

I bought one of these and put in on my red lead from my battery. There is one already one on my red leg of my battery that shuts down my inverter from the factory, all did is put on the second red battery lead shut down the rest of the coach.

https://www.amazon.com/Marinco-701-B...+cut+of+switch
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery disconnect